“Very Large, Very Clean Room”

Nauvoo Family Inn & Suites
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Nauvoo
Reviewed May 30, 2011

We stayed at the Nauvoo Family Inn and Suites this past weekend. After reading the reviews, I was a little concerned, but we were not the ones who made the arrangements for our group and this was the place we stayed. We had a large, very clean room with two queen beds. The room appeared freshly painted, and possibly freshly carpeted. Even though the decor is purely functional, it was clean and comfortable. This is not fancy, it is functional. All the kids in the pool looked like they were having a great time, but it was not our cup of tea, so to speak. This hotel is a good place to stay the night while seeing all the sights around Old Nauvoo and when we fell into bed exhausted, it was just the ticket, There is lots to see and do in the restored areas of town and the activities are very well presented and free or very inexpensive. There are very few places to eat in town, so plan your meals accordingly. Down the street the custard place had good sundaes, and the Grandpa Johns cafe had a simple but tasty breakfast buffet.

• Stayed: May 2011

Reviewed April 27, 2011

Ok, so the check-in experience was really weird but overall a great hotel. When I arrived (it was a Sunday), all of the doors to the hotel were locked. The door to the front of the hotel was open but the front desk area was gated off so I could not access it. Finally, I found a pile of envelopes with names on them next to the gate in the front. One of them had my name on it. It had my keys and information about the hotel. Being a Director of Sales for Marriott hotels, I was amazed that a hotel could opperate this way. But, it turns out all of the hotels in the city do this on Sundays during the down season.

I would certainly return to this hotel. The rooms were very big and functional. The internet was spotty but that was ok. The restaurant was ok and the service was very nice. Being a hotelier, I had to check out all of the hotels in the city while I was there and I decided I made the best choice.

Room Tip: Standard Sized room was plenty big
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank brentn
Reviewed November 16, 2010

The conflicitng staff was terrible and there was no clarification about restaurant hours or services. I would not recommend this hotel and would have stayed at Hotel Nauvoo instead. The worst overall hotel experience thus far.

• Stayed: November 2010
3  Thank honestop10
vicky1875, Manager at Nauvoo Family Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2011

It amazes me how hotels are responsible for guests actions. Our restaurant is closed November 1 thru mid March. It is posted on our website, in front of the restaurant, in our elevator, and when guests make reservations they are told the pool and restaurant are both closed. At the time of your stay, we had two private parties in the restaurant, you “crashed” both. The first one, the staff thought you were part of the group. The second one, was a scrapbook retreat with scrap book paraphernalia all over the tables, etc. You were told by the scrap bookers that it was a private party, and yet you continued to serve yourself to the buffet. Then you were upset because there wasn’t anywhere for you to sit. Once again you were told it was a private party; you stayed. When you were approached by the staff, and they asked you to leave, you finally did, so the confusion was all yours. By the way, you did not pay for either meal.

Reviewed October 10, 2010

No Mgr on duty or available, on weekends or nights. Called owner. Owner had to have Gen Mgr handle the matter. No explanation of debit card auth @ check-in. Attempted to pay 1/2 cash @ check-in, and debit card was then charged full price. Later that same evening, the debit card was charged 1/2 the total price again. The Gen Mgr was then called, but never contacted us to resolve this matter. 3 days later @ checkout, time, there was 2 full price debits, (1) 1/2 price debit, AND 1/2 price cash paid. So altogether, we were being charged for 9 nights instead of 3. No discounts were offered, no courtesy night to be used for future visits were offered. No cash refunds were even offered until after 3 days of confusion and being over charged.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank frazzled101010
vicky1875, General Manager at Nauvoo Family Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2010

It was explained to you several times how the system works. You were not charged for nine nights.
What happens when you use a debit card at a hotel...When you check in, the hotel does an authorization for your stay. That was done. That goes to your bank, they may or may not put a hold on your funds, yours did. You then demanded that the hotel release the hold, so we did. Your bank did not. You paid cash for half of your stay, so a hold was ran for the other half. We then released that hold per your request, your bank did not. Then you needed money to go home on, so we refunded the cash and charged the card for your entire stay. As was explained to you, once your bank released the holds your account would show the correct amount that you paid for the room. Unfortunately all this happened on a weekend where Monday was a holiday, so your funds were not released from your bank until Tuesday morning. This only happens with debit cards. This was explained to you by the front desk manager, the owner and myself several times.

The hotels do not know if you give a debit card number or a credit card number, we do not know if your bank ties up your funds or when they will release them back to you.

Since all consumers are unaware of this procedure, we have decided to charge the card for our guests entire stay at the time of check in so this misunderstanding no longer happens and if a debit card is used their funds are not tied up.

Reviewed August 31, 2010

My husband and I stayed there with my very pregnant daughter, her husband and their two year old boy. The suite had two bedrooms, a kitchen and living room. It was very clean and comfortable and was great for our needs. The best place for famlies.

Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 6, 2010

I stayed at the Nauvoo Family Inn & Suites on two different occasions, and plan to stay again on a coming trip. However, my May 2010 trip was a special one. I was returning from school in Montana and stopping in Nauvoo for my own endowment in the Nauvoo Temple. On an occasion where I was by myself (I'm a bit monastic when it comes to religiosity), the staff at the Nauvoo Family Inn made me feel right at home. The staff went above and beyond to check me in early as I had woken up at 3am and left Omaha early, anxious to get to the town. Every question was answered. Everything in the room was spotless. The rooms are much larger than the price would suggest to those used to paying for rooms on the East Coast.

The room isn't anything extraordinary, but it's comfortable. The pool was very clean, and I felt no hesitation using the hot tub. I haven't tried the dining room yet, but it always seems to be popular.

It would be a healthy walk to downtown Nauvoo and the historical sites, but the drive takes literally seconds. Parking is ample if you come in the off-season, and a special spirit truly exists in this town (whether you're LDS or not). I would recommend a visit to Nauvoo for anyone; the history will forever change your perceptions of the LDS Church, whether you are a member or not.

And for LDS members wondering if a trip all the way to Nauvoo for an own endowment is worth it--absolutely. I highly recommend it. The greatest moment of my great life, and the staff at the Nauvoo Family Inn & Suites were so good that they deserve a fair amount of credit for that.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed June 10, 2010

I almost didn't book after reading the reviews but I talked to a lady at work who had stayed here and she recommended the place. Our room was more like a new apartment or timeshare. There was a small living room, kitchen with a small dishwasher, microwave, full size stove and fridge. They also had cooking utensils, pots, pans, plastic bowls, plates bowls, cups, etc. I wish I had brought some spices and a casserole dish to use.
There was a master bedroom with its own bathroom (shower, sink, toilet). The bed, and I must say I am very picky about beds (I usually stay at Hampton Inn for their comfy beds) didn't look too promising but it was VERY comfortable and I got some of the best sleep I've had in a while.
Our four teenagers slept in an two bed room across the hall and used the other bathroom that was entered from the hall. Their beds were a trifle small but they survived.
There was also a small washer/dryer in the hall as well as an iron and ironing board. Each room had its own A/C unit typical to motels and they worked great. I like to sleep cool so I cranked the master bedroom down to 65 at night. There were a total of three A/C units. There were also ceiling fans.
I don't know why someone would give a bad review to this place, we stayed 4 nights, six people for under 800.00 I mean, what do people expect, a butler a room in the Waldorf Astoria?
The housekeeping was just okay and that may have been because of a misunderstanding. The first day they had an envelope on the kitchen table to leave a tip, I am used to leaving a tip every day so I put 8 bucks in the envelope and then never got another one so I just left another 8 bucks on the table for the next day but they didn't take it.
I think for the money, the ease of staying so close to the sites and the quality of the rooms, it is an incredible value for the money.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank Sgtbrian
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nauvoo
Boulders Inn & Suites Fort Madison
Howard Johnson Burlington
Howard Johnson Burlington
#8 of 11 in Burlington
Baymont Inn & Suites Keokuk

Been to Nauvoo Family Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!