“Luxury price - no luxury”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Nauvoo
Zion's Mercantile Hotel
Ranked #6 of 12 Nauvoo B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 27, 2012

We were disappointed that our room was in a walk-out basement. There was no coffee, ice or phone in a relatively expensive room. All of the ratings on their website are positive, but it is hard to believe they are from real guests.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Sharon K

Reviewed May 27, 2012

Reviewed May 26, 2012 NEW

I had pulled up this hotel while searching a B&B website for bed and breakfasts in Nauvoo Illinois - a last-minute getaway. This B&B popped up and, without further research, I booked a room for one night. My mistake!

We arrived mid-afternoon on Saturday and found out that we were not booked in the bed and breakfast that was shown on the B&B site, but instead booked in the adjacent hotel annex building. They told us there were no available rooms in the B&B, so, frustrated, we just decided to stay where they had put us.

That night, we went to dinner at the wonderful Hotel Nauvoo and had a great meal. As we were leaving, I inquired about the price to stay for the night. They had availability and told me approx $58 plus tax for one night. We were charged more than double that price, for a tiny hotel room that we really didn't want.

I went to complain to the manager, but no one was on site. I tried the next morning, but still no one was on site. I finally left a message on the manager's cell phone that was never returned.

I called later the following week from Chicago to complain about the B&B/hotel room mix-up, the grossly overpriced room and the lack of anyone to talk to while we were on the premises. I asked for a partial refund in an amount that would equalize the rate between the Hotel Nauvoo and what we were charged, No dice. I was reminded that our room had recently been remodeled. (I hadn't noticed - it was a room in an old building so small that there was no space for a simple chair. However, it did have a nice view of the all-night laundromant across the back alley).

Frustrated, I gave up, although they finally offered me a 20% discount on their grossly overpriced rates for a future visit. (Yeah, right!) At that point I decided I was unwilling to waste any more of my time dealing with these people.

In retrospect, a good part of this problem was my fault for 1) trusting their on-line system to accurately describe the room rather than calling the B&B direct, 2) not having done more comparison shopping on-line in which I would have likely found other great accomodations, like the Hotel Nauvoo and 3) not walking away immediately once I realized that they had done the old bait-and-switch. My bad.

Some of the other glowing reviews are quite puzzling to me - not my experience at all. I recommnend you stay away from this over-priced mediocre place. There are many nicer, less expensive options available nearby.

Room Tip: try anywhere else
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank jon P
Reviewed February 20, 2012

We loved our stay at Zion's Mercantile! The room was clean and beautifully decorated. The staff were very friendly. The location, which is a block from the Nauvoo Temple, was perfect. We loved that our room had a kitchenette so that we could prepare food we brought from home, since finding food around dinner time is hard during the winter season. Only complaint is that there isn't enough space to hang towels in the bathroom. Other than that, loved it!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank LSR00
Reviewed August 29, 2011

The room was nice, clean and family friendly. It really enhanced our stay in Nauvoo. They had beautiful art work and the atmosphere added to the Nauvoo experience.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank tammyb61
Reviewed August 5, 2011

Very pleased with cleanliness. Cool location on the main street a block from the temple. Walls between rooms seem to be sound proof. Most comfortable hotel bed I have experienced in years. Wide gap below doors going into hall reduces some privacy. Overall very good.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank afubeca
Reviewed July 30, 2011

We loved staying at the Zion's Mercantile Hotel/Woodruff Hotel room 205. It was very tastefully decorated and the staff quickly and kindly met all our needs. The hallways, stairs, and room doors of the Woodruff are pretty rustic so you feel like you're going back in time; however once you enter your room, it is totally up to date.

We were very pleased with our microwave and mini fridge and we found there was plenty of room, even for little kids to sleep on the floors. Because there were so many of us, it would have been nice to have just a few more hooks for hanging things and a small table (bistro or coffee) would have been a great addition. The bathroom door in 205 does rub the floor a bit as you open and close it, which was a little annoying, but everything else was fine. The breakfast basket was delivered the day before, which we really liked. It included pre-packaged danishes, microwave oatmeal, and juice. It was nice to have the option to eat in our room before going out.

We had no noise complaints and hope others couldn't hear us!

If we ever come back, we'd love to stay here again!

Room Tip: The pictures and the descriptions on the website are pretty accurate to show what you'll get. C...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank embeyfar
Reviewed July 17, 2011

Very clean, lovely rooms with early 1900 furniture and a king size bed. They leave you a fruit, muffin, oatmeal and hot chocolate basket every night for morning time. Bathroom immaculate. Only draw back is no elevator in the old hotel if you are on the 3rd floor. Great to see Nauvoo temple lit up at night. Highly recommend!

• Stayed: July 2011