“Charming Historic Hotel - Highly Recommend!”
Review of Hotel Nauvoo℠

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Nauvoo
Hotel Nauvoo℠
Ranked #2 of 12 Nauvoo B&B and Inns
San Francisco
“Charming Historic Hotel - Highly Recommend!”
Reviewed July 3, 2010

This is a historic property, built as a private home in the 1840s and restored as a 10-room hotel. It’s one of a couple of historic hotels at the west end of the business district of Hwy 96, the main street of the modern town of Nauvoo (not historic Nauvoo). It’s attractive and charming on the outside and the inside. Pictures show porches on the front and side, but guests are kept off for safety reasons. There is a small garden and sitting area, where on warm humid evenings I would see fireflies zipping about in their brilliant courtship dance.

People planning to stay here should be agile and fit enough to carry their bags up either a main spiral stairway or a rear straight stairway, both fairly narrow. There is no elevator. On the ground floor is a small lobby with an office that takes care of both the hotel and restaurant. The restaurant serves only dinner Tuesday through Saturday and lunch on Sunday. The facilities and service in the hotel and restaurant were excellent and everyone was friendly and helpful. The word "guest" means something here, as opposed to just "customer." In addition to taking care of the usual guest needs, there's a small sitting room with cookies, beverages, and a chest full of ice that always seemed fresh. A cupboard in the hall holds irons and boards, extra TP, even plumber’s helpers. Also included with the room is a discount for buffet breakfast at the homey Grandpa John’s Café across the street. Parking is either on the street or in a large lot on the adjoining block.

The rooms are furnished in 19th century style. Mine was on the east side, overlooking the small garden and the street corner. It was small but comfortable, with an armchair but no couch (not enough space) and a full bath. Post-19th century amenities included a clock radio, TV, and wi-fi. I was having too good a time to watch TV, but I admit turning on the weather channel a time or two because I’m from California and I worry about tornados.

I had dinner there twice. There are several dining rooms with historic décor. One night I had the buffet, which would seem exotic to Chuck-A-Rama fans. There must have been 40 salad bar items alone, from the simple standby lettuce, radishes, olives to things like crackers and flavored cheese spreads, fried onions, and pickled herring. Entrees included ham, roast beef, fish, chicken, and turkey, with a couple dozen potato, pasta, and veggie sides. And dessert—don’t even mention it! The next night I had a crab-stuffed shrimp entrée from the menu, which was delicious but also more than I could do justice to. For Monday nights when the restaurant is closed, or for breakfast or lunch, several restaurants are in the half mile length of the main business district.

This hotel would probably not work well for families with young children. As a historic property, it doesn’t have a lot of the amenities that families with kids might want. The narrow halls and stairs and the relatively small grounds aren’t conducive to youthful recreation. I don’t know if my room was typical, but it was small, adequate for a solo or couple. Two people staying there would need to be on good terms. There is a motel associated with the hotel about a half mile east, which doesn’t look too exciting on the outside but probably has bigger rooms. For one or two adults looking for a comfortable, congenial historic hotel that’s definitely not cut from a pattern, the Hotel Nauvoo is a great choice.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Chicago
Reviewed May 16, 2010

I stayed at the Hotel Nauvoo for the first time and loved the furnishings and service. It was outstanding!!!!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
St. Louis, Missouri
Reviewed March 26, 2010

I brought my mom here for a day trip. The hotel was great. There are 8 rooms, all on the second floor. Our room was pretty small, so it would have been cramped if we were staying longer. For one night, though, it was perfect. There is a common area with hot water and teabags and instant coffee, and the restaurant across the street gives a discount on the breakfast buffet for guests at the hotel. I would definitely recommend it for a short trip.

• Stayed March 2010
Missoiri
Reviewed September 14, 2009

We have been to Nauvoo many times and usually stay at the Nauvoo Family Inn but decided to check prices before going. We called the Hotel Nauvoo after calling the other Hotel and found the price was less than half of the other Hotel's price so we reserved a room. We arrived in the evening and checked into the Hotel and were met by a semi-friendly check in clerk. Our room was on the second floor at the end of the hall on the left. The room was very small but had a nice size bathroom. We brought our suit cases up the side entrance which is very narrow and a steep stairway with low head clearance. Much better to walk around the front and take the front stairs. We have eaten at the Hotel dinning room before as it is the only dinning facility open during the winter and as usual, it was very good with a wide selection of nicely prepared food and I like the decor. The discounted breakfast across the street at Grandpa Johns is OK, kind of like eating breakfast at McDonald's, foam trays, flat pancakes and syrup in a little peel top containers. It does have a great central location and I like the chairs out in the court yard and along the front entrance where you can enjoy the night air or look out over the Mississippi River. Parking was across the side street. This is a nice well kept historic Hotel to stay and eat at and we would do it again, with a different room.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Northeast Ohio
Reviewed May 26, 2009

I realize that most tourists to Nauvoo are probably LDS but I am not and I was a nervous about staying in Nauvoo when I read some of the tour book hotel descriptions of places that are obviously run by LDS members. One of the hotel reviews in my book said to expect lots of loud children. Another said that "alcohol is forbidden." Not that I would have expected them to seach my bag (where they would have found the bottle of champaign we'd intended to share that night!). But still, if it's that big a deal to them...well...I'd hate to be a rule breaker. Because of those things we had planned to drive back and stay in Keokuk at some everyday chain sort of place. But after finding the Hotel Nauvoo we changed our minds. When we went in (for dinner) we saw that the hotel has a bar and even though we never stepped inside of it, it caught our attention. We asked a few questions and both of the gentlemen at the desk were very personable and helpful and showed us around. We decided to stay in room #5, a very small room but still adequate, and nicely furnished with a queen sized bed, tv, air conditioner, chair, desk, and a good sized bathroom. We paid about $80 and everything was very clean and comfortable. We found adequate space to lay out 2 fairly large suitcases out of our way. I was pleased with the great, easy-to-figure-out shower, which is often sorely lacking at hotels. There are chairs outside on the lawn which looks like a very pleasant place to just sit and watch things go by. The dinner buffet downstairs was fabulous (and the decor great too)! Not what I expect when I hear "buffet restaurant." Everything I ate was delicious and perfectly cooked. Breakfast across the street was good also and we got a 25% discount for staying at the hotel which made our all you can eat breakfast buffet about $5 each. There are just a couple of little things I would change. First, I would take down the pictures over the desk and put up a mirror. While there is a mirror over the bathroom sink, it would have been handy to have another mirror in the room so that I could have put on make-up while my husband was shaving. Also, I've gotten so used to hotels having hair dryers now that I don't pack one anymore (a hair dryer can really take up precious suitcase space/weight when you are flying). I had to wait for my long hair to air dry and tie it up with a barrette before we could go to dinner. No big deal. But those two things would have made the room perfect. I think LDS members would be perfectly comfortable at this hotel. But it's also a perfect place to stay if you are (as my mormon born husband would say) a "gentile" who is worried about not fitting in. This is just a charming, quiet and homey place to stay.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Mobile, AL
Reviewed December 30, 2008

We have stayed at this hotel many times over the past years. We have always enjoyed our visits. In the past, we stayed in the main hotel. On this visit, we elected to stay in a house owned by the hotel. We called the male owner on the telephone and booked the house after he quoted a price in the $90's. Upon arrival, a female desk clerk was on duty. She had our keys in an envelope. When we identified ourselves, she picked up the envelope and literally threw it across the counter. She then quoted us a price in excess of $100. When we explained what the owner had quoted us, she was irritated and said that this was not correct and we would have to pay the higher price. She did not offer to give any parking directions, or other information unless we specifically asked her. When we went in the house, it had a note inside advising that ice could be obtained at the main hotel. We walked back to the hotel and asked the same lady where we could obtain ice. She asked the rhetorical question -- "Where can you get ice?" She then gave us some and without comment walked off. This was unfortunate since we have always enjoyed our previous visits. The main hotel is historic, clean, and well furnished. The house is adequately furnished and clean as well.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — The rude management member who processed me into the facility.
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
HotelNauvoo, Owner at Hotel Nauvoo℠, responded to this review, April 9, 2009
The possibility that one of our clerks was less than totally courteous really got my attention. We are committed to providing totally pleasant and satisfying services to our customers, so I am retraining our employees is this regard.
Salem, Oregon
Reviewed October 23, 2008

Friends recommended this hotel, which is a home with I believe 9 rooms + a 2 bedroom cottage. If you want to stay in an authentic home of the 1800's, this is it. The price is very reasonable.
We stayed in Room #5, which was small but comfortable and had everything we needed. The bathroom was large, and could have been cleaner, but as John told me, good help is hard to find. Everything else was great. There were cookies and a selection of hot drinks one could make with the hot water provided in the upstairs sitting room.
The breakfast across the street was excellent every morning and is included with your stay. Dinner downstairs is always yummy, but we also ate other places in town and found all were good, not a bad experience in the bunch. Be sure to visit the Fudge Factory across the street and the Frozen Custard store down the street. Had good lunches at Zion's and the Mill Bakery. Also try the Summer Kitchen.
My only regret is that we couldn't stay longer. A lot to see and do in Nauvoo, and the native townspeople are very kind, friendly and informative.

• Liked — Breakfast
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
1 Thank Debimlee
HotelNauvoo, Owner at Hotel Nauvoo℠, responded to this review, April 4, 2009
Thank you for your wonderful compliments.

We're told that we have the cleanest rooms in town, so we're double-checking behind our housekeeping crew to make sure that everything is just right for your next stay.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nauvoo
Comfort Inn & Suites
Hampton Inn Keokuk
Hampton Inn Keokuk
#1 of 6 in Keokuk
Baymont Inn & Suites Keokuk

Been to Hotel Nauvoo℠? Share your experiences!