“No surprises great rates, can't go wrong”

Chicago Marriott Naperville
Ranked #7 of 18 Hotels in Naperville
Reviewed September 5, 2013

I actually used a Marriott reward certificate to stay here. Surprisingly it is only a Category IV hotel in the Marriott world but it is a much better hotel than the Category would suggest.
The hotel looked as though it had been recently renovated. It had a nice buzz going on in the lobby with lots of activity in a very large space.
Room service food was great and service was quick.
Definitely would go back.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Jonathon E, Front Office Manager at Chicago Marriott Naperville, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our hotel. I have also shared your comments on your experience with our entire service team. I happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and enjoyed the features of the renovation. I have also passed along your comments to our Food and Beverage team.
Once again I want to thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our hotel and look forward to your next visit at our hotel.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

We checked into the Marriott and had requested 2 rooms with Queens in both. They were ready before check in and the front desk was friendly. We were pleased with the rooms clean and the beds were comfy. They were a little small and it would be nice to have a fridge and a window to open for fresh air. The second of the 2 rooms had a problem with the air and the hotel sent up someone to check it out, they moved our room since the air was broke and floor was wet. It caused no problem and they addressed the issue right away. I did request extra pillows and no one ever showed up with the a little lack of communication. We ordered a drink in the bar and it was good but expensive, and also ordered a snack which was good and within reason price wise. We ordered room service and the food was good but I felt I needed to tip although it was added into the bill. Breakfast was big and hot when it arrived. The hotel staff did a nice job overall and I would stay again, we enjoyed sitting outside at the pool in the evening.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our hotel. I have also shared your comments on your experience with our entire service team. I am happy that you enjoyed the room and the amenities it had to offer. I also want to apologize for the problem with one of the ac’s in the rooms not working properly. Although it isn’t what you want to do I’m glad they were able to accommodate you to another room. I have also passed along your Food and Beverage comments to the Food and Beverage Manager for review.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

The staff at this hotel were wonderful and attentive. Always ready to service our requests and with a great attitude. Rooms were very nice and the bedding excellent. You can be assured that this hotels management believes in giving their quests a superior experience.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Jonathon E, Front Office Manager at Chicago Marriott Naperville, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our hotel. I have also shared your positive comments on your experience with our entire service team. I am happy to hear that our staff provided excellent service to you during your stay. We have taken great pride in the renovation of the rooms and I’m happy you were able to enjoy it.

Reviewed September 2, 2013

First of all, I need to explain a “lockout.” When I check into a hotel it is normally for 30 days or more. There are times when a hotel has sufficient vacancy to allow me a “lockout.” In a “lockout,” I agree not to stay in the room for a certain number of nights, and the hotel agrees not to charge me for those nights. I do it when go someplace else on a weekend. The “lockout” means I don’t have to pack up my room and leave it in the hotel’s luggage room. The benefit for the hotel is they don’t have to have housekeeping clean the room every day, and they gain the good will of the hotel guest.

I asked the Marriott for a lockout for Labor Day weekend, and Marriott agreed the Wednesday before that weekend.

At 9PM on Thursday night (yes, the night before the lockout was to commence), I was called by Brittany (Front Desk Supervisor) and told that they would charge me $30.00 per night for a total of $90.00 in order to make use of the lockout. She told me she had just been made aware of the charge, and that she didn’t even know about the charge before that day.

She told me the Manager, Jonathan Earlywine, had made all the decisions, all poor in my opinion. The following references to Mr. Earlywine’s decisions were those that were conveyed to me through Brittany. Mr. Earlywine never had the courtesy to talk to me directly.

I had spent 39 nights at this Marriott, and was scheduled for another 18 nights. At $92 per night, I had already spent $3,588.00 at the Marriott, and was scheduled to spend another $1,656.00.

Mr. Earlywine held to his requirement of $30 per night for the lockout. For the “misunderstanding” he offered me 20,000 points which, I was told, equaled one night’s stay at the Marriott. I considered that an insult. I’m paying $92 per night, which means his 20,000 points is worth $92. If I pay the $90 for the lockout, that’s only $2 in my pocket.

I pointed out I was a Platinum Club member with Marriott. Mr. Earlywine’s response was that he “had a lot of Platinum Club members,” thereby denigrating the loyalty of all members.

At that point I had to pack in order to vacate the next morning since it was apparent that Marriott & Mr. Earlywine weren’t amenable to any solution. I made a reservation for those 18 nights in a Hilton property and I’m typing this complaint from the Hilton property.

I felt that this was bait and switch. Agree to a lockout, and at the last minute notify me there is a fee. And it’s not just a token fee. It’s 1/3 of my daily rate. And the fee is hidden. It is not published anywhere. Even the Front Desk Supervisor wasn’t aware of the fee.

For a corporation that is in the hospitality business, they sure were inhospitable.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are larger, but you probably need to bribe one of the managers to get one.
2  Thank Scott C

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our hotel. I have also shared your comments on your experience with our entire service team. I want to first say how we value your rewards status with Marriott hotels. We take great pride in providing the highest quality of service to our guest and I’m sorry it didn’t show during your stay. Again we are truly sorry for the situation that you were put in during you stay with us.
Once again I want to thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our hotel and would look forward to your next visit at our hotel.

Reviewed September 2, 2013

This hotel is pretty standard midwest Marriott, with decent rooms and a compact lobby with fancy tile work to make it look elegant. The staff is friendly and efficient but the place feels a little bit too much like a Courtyard by Marriott. It is on the small size and is in a far flung suburban location so perhaps it cannot justify anything better. Still, it is clean and has what you need for business. Plenty of parking.

The only complaint I have is that, for those who try to eat healthy, there are no good breakfast options. If you like scrambled eggs and sausages, you will be fine. Otherwise, they will try to offer you watermelon and toasted frozen bagels for breakfast so you may want to bring something if you are health conscious.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our hotel. I have also shared your comments on your experience with our entire service team. I have shared your suggestion with our Food and Beverage on healthier options in our dinning outlets.

Reviewed September 2, 2013

Came here for two days mid-week for business. Hotel has been upgaded in the past few years, and in general it seems that it's been done well, especially in the lobby and restaurant areas.
Folks at the front desk and very nice, and were happy to help with any difficulties. Our group's rooms were all ready for early check-in, which was terrific. That being said, I'd asked for a mini-fridge to keep medicine cold. I made this request at the front before heading out for the afternoon (at 12:30). When I came back at 5:30, no fridge! So I had to call again. While the fridge did arrive in about 5 minutes, I felt it should have already been there.
I also had multiple issues with the room door. First set of keys wouldn't work, second were fine, then didn't work after one use; third set was ok (fortunately my room wasn't too far from the front desk). My tub drained VERY slowly, so my shower was in ankle-deep water each day (first day I thought it was because I'd set up the water temp from the tub spout, before swithcing over to the shower and getting in; but this wasn't the case, as I set it from the shower head the next am). I let the front desk know about this on check-out. Water pressure was fine, shampoo and conditioner very nice.
As other travelers have noted, the layout of the rooms are interesting. I had a double queen room, which for myself was plenty of space to stretch, but the desk was in front of one and there was no way you could be at the desk and anyone could get by you. I think if they'd put the desk by the window instead (see photos) this would help. Also, if there was an outlet on the opposite side in the foyer area, this would make setting up ironing board less cramped and awkard (blocks the entrance more).
Beds were so-so for comfort (I'm used to sleeping on foam mattress), pillows generally OK, and room temp decent (though the thermostat read 68 and it didn't feel like that except right by the register). No separate fan in the bath so while there's a "vent" (no fan) the hunidity after a shower will get diluted by the room AC, very little from the bath vent.
Room noise......you could hear folks in the hall very easily, but for the most part my area was quiet. Not sure if this was because the hotel wasn't fully booked and the few folks coming through the hall were either not talking or talking too loudly. I didn't have any noisy neighbors.
Coffee machine is nice, though a few more creamers would've been appreciated. I didn't use the internet connection while I was there (it was free with our group, but $9.99 for others). I had breakfast one morning, and it was quite good, lots of choices either from the menu or at the buffet. Service there and at the Starbucks in the lobby was terrific and freindly.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Jonathon E, Front Office Manager at Chicago Marriott Naperville, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our hotel. I have also shared your comments on your experience with our entire service team. We take great pride in the service we provide to our guest and I am sorry you had some problems with your room. I have also passed along your comments about the room to our engineering team.

Reviewed August 29, 2013

I have to say that the staff at this hotel is EXCEPTIONAL, AWESOME, and OUTSTANDING. They can actually do training how to satisfy customers needs!!

Rooms, spa, conference room were all up to Marriott's tough standards.

One thing of note, the food at this property is INCREDIBLE. I am a native New Yawker and pride myself on good food, this place is off the charts good.

Great hotel, keep up the hard work!!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Jonathon E, Front Office Manager at Chicago Marriott Naperville, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our hotel. I have also shared your positive comments on your experience with our entire service team. We take great pride in the service we provide to our guest and I am happy it showed during your stay. I have also passed along your positive comments on the food to our food and beverage team.