“Dorm Room--Not Hotel”

Chicago Marriott Naperville
Ranked #7 of 18 Hotels in Naperville
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We checked into this hotel for a nice quiet weekend away from the city. This hotel should be called a college dorm.

In one day, there were three weddings, a family reunion, a soccer team, a dance team, a volleyball team, and other activities. To our surprise, when we checked in, we were informed the two-bed room we booked would have one bed for three adults. We requested a rollaway bed or a pull-out couch. They informed us there are 400 rooms and only 40 roll-away beds, which were all taken by the sports teams. We were left with one bed for three people (our daughter is 27 years old). After complaining and asking to add our name to a cancellation listing for a bigger room, we were moved to a handicapped room with a pull-out couch. We stayed there approximately two hours before the noise from the band right underneath our room gave us all a headache. We called the manager. The manager on duty said they were not supposed to even rent that room because it was right above the band.

This hotel is advertised as "The Best Full-Service Hotel in Naperville." That is false advertising. When we arrived for the breakfast buffet, there were no plates, no bacon, no potatoes, no sausage. There was one poor little lady to make waffles and eggs for a long line of people. When I contacted the manager of the buffet for food, her answer was, "We served 400 people this morning. I will find you a plate."

Do not stay at this hotel expecting service. When we visited the hotel restaurant to eat dinner, it was so noisy that we could not stand it so we took our food to the room. The sports teams had taken over the restaurant and were very noisy. The service was poor.

If you want peace and quiet or service, do not stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: Do not stay on the second floor. It is directly above a dance floor, and the whole room will vibrat...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Traveler13333
Jonathon E, Front Office Manager at Chicago Marriott Naperville, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our hotel. I have also shared your comments on your experience with our entire service team as a training example. Although we do cater to a variety of groups and everyday travelers it is still the hotels number one priority to provide the highest quality of service during each persons visit. I’m sorry that you did not receive this high level of service during your stay. I have shared your concerns about the restaurant to our food and beverage team. Although there are times the restaurant can be busy we should have the food ready on the buffet line or plates ready for you to use during breakfast.
The Chicago Marriott Naperville would love to have you back and provide the level of service you expected during your first visit. Please let me know if you are interested in coming back by calling the hotel and ask for myself and we can make arrangements for your stay with us.
Once again I want to thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our hotel and look forward to your next visit at our hotel.
Front Office Manager

There are newer reviews for Chicago Marriott Naperville

Reviewed May 20, 2013

I stayed here last week for a business trip to our regional office. This hotel is newer than other properties in the area and it is well cared for! Chic, modern design and upscale in appearance.

Rooms were clean, and the service was impeccable. My only complaint is that the feather topper on the mattress was a bit bothersome and affected my allergies. Special kudos to Nicole for arranging my shuttle to the office and for the shuttle driver for being polite and efficient!

I will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our hotel. I have also shared your positive comments on your experience with our entire service team. I have also shared your comments to Nicole as she takes great pride in ensuring everyone receives exceptional service. I’m sorry that the feather topper affected your allergies. Please let us know next time in advance and we can make sure you receive a feather free room.

Reviewed May 18, 2013

Very friendly staff, shuttle service great,rooms and hotel in general very clean, breakfast buffet very good,great location for Chicago west side suburbs. I have stayed in many Marriots and this one is in my top[ 5!!!!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Jonathon E, Front Office Manager at Chicago Marriott Naperville, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our hotel. I have also shared your positive comments on your experience with our entire service team. I’m happy that you enjoyed the many services our hotel has to offer. I have also shared your positive comments of the friendliness of our staff to all of the departments in the hotel.

Reviewed May 14, 2013

Our family stayed here over graduation weekend. The Marriott is easily located right off the highway and is within easy access to a wide variety of restaurants. As usual, the beds were super comfortable and the room was spacious and well outfitted with a large flat screen and nice furniture. We found the staff very friendly. As a family, it was refreshing that they paid attention to the small things, like replenishing our shampoo when they tended the room. There is a Starbucks in the foyer, but good coffee in the rooms as well. I would highly recommend this hotel if you are looking for a comfortable night's rest and access to the western suburbs.

Room Tip: We used Priceline and saved a bundle. Ask for an end room if one is available. It is handicap acc...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our hotel. I have also shared your positive comments on your experience with our entire service team. I happy that we took noticed of the little things during your stay as this is something we stress to our employees during training.

Reviewed May 14, 2013

Recently stayed at this hotel, the room was booked as part of a wedding. The hotel was very clean and recently updated. We ate breakfast one morning in the hotel...The buffet was great and worth the $14/pp. I loved the aromatherapy bath and body works soaps in the room. I wasnt impressed with Valerie at the check-in desk, she was not friendly at all and had an attitude :( The bar in the hotel was good too, however, only had one Angry Orchard (cider beer). My husband was hoping to be able to drink more than just one! Overall, enjoyable two night stay.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Jonathon E, Front Office Manager at Chicago Marriott Naperville, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our hotel. I have also shared your comments on your experience with our entire service team. I have shared your positive comments about the buffet to our Food and Beverage team. I’m also happy that you love the aromatherapy products we used in the bathroom.
I would like to apologize for the interaction that you had at the front desk. Normally the interaction our guest has with our front desk staff is pleasant and I’m sorry you didn’t have that type of interaction during your time here.

Reviewed May 12, 2013

While the room rate was good, the rest of my experience was less than satisfying. I'm a Marriott gold member and have not had an experience that left me disappointed before. The night before checking in, I called to inquire about the option for a early check in since I was driving in from out of state for a wedding. The person that picked up the phone was less than helpfull, rude and failed to answer my question. During my brief conversation on the phone, I received what felt like a snide comment telling me that there was a Courtyard down the road and to call back tomorrow.

Upon checking in, we received a room that house keeping left us half drank bottles of water. To add to my stay, I received a personal wake up call at 9 am day of check out by house keeping knocking on my door looking to clean my room. I guess the person on the phone the night before was right.... the Courtyard down the road would have been better.

Aside from the rate and new facility, I have nothing else to recommend about this location.

• Stayed: May 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our hotel. I have also shared your comments on your experience with our entire service team. I first want to apologize for the entire experience you had at our hotel. We take great pride in the service we provide to our guest and I’m sorry it didn’t show during your stay. I have also shared your information of the cleanliness of the room with our housekeeping department.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Stayed here while visiting family. Nice pool but the deck floor was very slick and is an an accident waiting to happen.
The guest rooms were spacious, clean and very comfortable.The in house restaurant offered a nice buffet breakfast at a reasonable price. Only concern was that the desk staff were not all "on the same page" when discussing room amenities with guests.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our hotel. I have also shared your comments on your experience with our entire service team. I did want to let you know that we are in the process of coming up with a solution for the slippery floor of the pool deck. I also want to apologize for the staff not being on the same page when it comes to answering your questions on room amenities. I have also shared your positive comments on the room to our housekeeping department.