“Why stay anywhere else in Chicago”

Ranked #7 of 18 Hotels in Naperville
Reviewed October 12, 2012

Checked in late, staff was fantastic. Front desk team, Brittney and Lily did a wonderful job answering my questions and making me feel at home.

Went to the bar for drinks and dinner and Janel was very attentive taking care of my requests.

Stay at this hotel and see what it's like to stay at a 5 star hotel with excellent service.

• Stayed: October 2012
Jonathon E, Front Office Manager at Chicago Marriott Naperville, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our hotel. I have also shared your comments on your experience with our entire service team. I have also shared your positive comments with Brittney, Lilly, and Janelle on how they made you feel right at home.
Once again I want to thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our hotel.

Reviewed October 11, 2012

Attended 2 day work conference. The staff went out of their way to help us while we were there. They provided all meals and everything was great. Various appetizers from sushi to cheese plates were nicely arranged. There were over 100 of us and there was always enough food for all. There is a Starbucks in the lobby and a computer center where you could check in for your flight. Room was a nice size and modern. Bed was comfortable and clean. I would stay here again. Took a shuttle from the airport, so cannot comments on surrounding area. It looked like the hotel was close to shopping.

Room Tip: Some rooms have a shower only, you would need to request a tub room.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Kirstie S

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our hotel. I have also shared your comments on your experience with our entire service team. I have also shared your positive comments with our sales and banquet teams.

Reviewed October 10, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 5 nights on a package for the Ryder Cup at nearby Medinah. On the result of that alone, as a European, I would like to be able to rate this hotel as 5* but I can't. To be honest, as this was a package from the UK which included our golf tickets and transport to/from Medinah, I have no idea what our actual nightly room rate was, but there were just a few things that as a 'grown-up' Marriott, I felt they could have done better.

We had booked a Presidential Suite which was, in fact, two rooms (701 & 702), however, despite the lady on reception telling us that they were adjoining with a connecting door, they were not. They were across a hallway (albeit at the end) which meant either wedging the doors to each room open with the security latches when you were trying to get showered and dressed for the day or remembering to take both lots of key cards as the lights will not work without a key card in the slot near the door. On account of having to cross the hallway, I asked for bathrobes (which I would normally expect to have in a Marriott anyway and do not want to have to put in my luggage from the UK) but these never materialised.

The other thing was that when you book a 'Presidential' suite, you are surely entitled to expect a fairly luxurious bathroom? This was not the case here. In room 701 (the bedroom), the bathroom was a small room with a shower only (OK, nice enough double shower enclosure but still...) In room 702 there was an additional bathroom but only with a very teeny bath with shower over that only one of Snow White's accomplices would have been able to stretch out in. Very disappointing after spending 5 nights in the Hotel Palomar in Chicago which had a huge double Fuji soaking tub with jacuzzi jets.

On the plus side, the bed was extremely large and comfortable and the sitting-room (702) was really spacious with a good sized flat-screen TV, sofas and chairs, a dining table and chairs for six and lots of storage space. Although there was a little kitchen area, it had no other facility than a sink, and on the first day, I wandered around lamenting the lack of a fridge to store our wine. On our return to our room on day 1, a fridge had appeared (was the room bugged? :-)), but it had been put in the bedroom (701) where there was little room for it, so my husband lugged it across to 702 where there was a huge amount of space.

As we were out each day quite early for the golf, we didn't really see much of the hotel's facilities but the final point I would make is this: We were told, on account of the grade of room we had booked, we had access to the Concierge lounge on the 7th floor. Call me naive, but in every major hotel chain we have ever stayed in, (and it's a lot, including Marriotts), if you have access to the Club/Concierge/Executive or whatever-they-care-to-call-it-level, it means the drinks are complimentary. Not so in this hotel, on check-out after 5 nights, we had an amount of around $200 to pay from going into the lounge after the golf each evening for a couple of glasses of wine, where it would appear that you are charged $11 per glass without this ever being made clear... To be honest, we would have stayed in the bar with our fellow travellers if we had known.

Maybe they saw this as a great opportunity to cash-in on a large contingent of European guests for the Ryder Cup, as otherwise I would see this as a local business-based hotel as it is too far out of Chicago city centre to be a tourist hotel.

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our hotel. I have also shared your comments on your experience with our entire service team. We do have an honor bar system up at the concierge level and I apologize if this was not related to you correctly. I hope you enjoyed your stay with us and your experience at the Ryder Cup.

Reviewed October 5, 2012

We could not fault the hotel itself. Rooms spacious, clean and extremely comfortable. The buffet breakfast provided was good, plenty of choice both hot and cold, fruit, cereal etc. Starbucks in the lobby and relaxing bar area. The pool and jacuzzi were clean and a great area to relax after a busy day, the gym was well equipped. The hotel do provide a shuttle service into Naperville or to the train station but beware, if you are planning to travel into Chicago at the weekend check the train schedule with reception - the trains only run every 2 hours. There are a few restaurants within walking distance. If you don't mind paying $100 per head then try Morton's Steakhouse - a bit pricy for our taste! The Italian Maggianos was excellent and reasonably priced. We would not recommend the hotel restaurant.

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our hotel. I have also shared your positive comments on your experience with our entire service team. We take great pride in the service we provide for our guest and I hope it showed during your stay.

Reviewed October 3, 2012

When you enter the lobby it is very open and modern...feels like a great room. It gave me great expectations for the guest rooms but that's where it ends. Yes, the hotel has a new, clean vibe but the guest rooms are lacking in so many areas. There is no dresser or any drawers to put your clothes so you are living out of your suitcase which is ok for a couple days. Very small closet considering that there is no other place for your clothes & shoes. No room ammenities such as a bathrobe, in room safe (& there must not be very many at the front desk because I inquired and they said they were all taken). I wouldnt expect these ammenities at a Courtyard but when spending $250+ a night for a room you would expect something more. A/C is controlled so you had to leave the fan running all the time so room would stay cool. Bathroom is so small its hard to get in and close the door. There is no tub, shower only. The water output from the showerhead is very poor, dont know if the was because the showerhead was so tiny or they have poor water pressure, but the shower was one of the worst. The location is great for dining since there are many good restaurants withing walking distance if you dont have a car. Also close to downtown Naperville. Staff was very friendly & helpful.

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our hotel. I have also shared your comments regarding the concerns with the rooms to our engineering department. We understand there our some concerns with the size of the bathrooms and are looking into possible solutions to the problem. We are an eco friendly hotel and that also includes the amount of water and pressure from the shower heads. I apologize if this caused a problem for you while you were here.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

This Marriott lived up to my expectations except for one area - the bathrooms in guest rooms. Very small and plain. They need major revisions to bring up to the level of the rest of the property.
Great location near a variety of restaurants and a short drive to the charming town center of Naperville. Fabulous bar and good menu selections. Ample parking and comfortable lobby..

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a spacious bathroom if they have one.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our hotel. I have also shared your comments regarding the bathroom to our engineering department. We understand there our some concerns with the size of the bathrooms and are looking into possible solutions to the problem. I have also shared your positive comments to the food and beverage team regarding the bar.

Reviewed September 23, 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights for a family wedding. This is a new hotel for Marriott, I believe it used to be a Holiday inn. It has been totally redone and was very nice. Our room was large and very comfortable. Staff was friendly. The reception was held here and was beautiful, although we have been told it was a chore to work with the wedding planner. They had to really do everything themselves. Once the father of the bride got involved the Marriott stepped it up and delivered. The meal was very good and service was prompt. It was very great to only have to go upstairs when the party was over! The food in the restaurant and bar was very pricey, but this is Chicago! All in all it was a good stay.

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our hotel. Thank you for the nice comments about our renovation. We have taken great pride in how everything turned out with the renovation of the hotel. I’m happy that everything turned out great for the wedding and have shared your comments to the sales department regarding the set up of the wedding.