“No problems, sunny staff to us”

Ranked #7 of 18 Hotels in Naperville
Reviewed June 21, 2012

While I noted the awful (for a Marriott ) reviews posted, our stay was perfect. Food was great, and we dont usually eat at the Hotel restaurants. The concierge lady was very very nice and the food there very good. Bell /shuttle staff very nice, moved over from the Palmer House and that guy was funny and efficient. Big groups from businesses stayed at same time as my pleasure stay, when a huge line forms instantly, that is hard for a place to make everyone happy. Johnathon pitched in and gave us a personal check in.

Room Tip: Be nice when y ou deal with folks, it pays off.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Mickey M
Jonathon E, Front Office Manager at Chicago Marriott Naperville, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our hotel. I wanted to thank you for the positive comments you have said about the hotel. I have also shared your positive comments on your experience with our entire service team. We take great pride in the service we provide for our guest and I hope it showed during your stay.
Once again I want to thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our hotel and look forward to your next visit with us.

There are newer reviews for Chicago Marriott Naperville

Reviewed June 20, 2012

I stayed at this place a few times now. After my first stay I would have rated it 5 stars! It is a brand new great modern day business stay for hotel snobs like me. However, after my most recent stay, my opinion has changed. My first stay had a large room with a big window. It was very clean and the staff was absent , just like I like. My latest stay was a little different. My room was about 2/3 the size of the first room, I don't know if I had a suite or what the first time, but my expectations were higher. Also, the cleaning crew was sub par. There were dirt footprints on the floor. Also, the room was COVERED in hair! I don't know if a person stayed here on the abominamal snow man stayed here. Hair on the floor, in the sink, in my bed yuck!!! I would give it another chance because it is newer and nice.

Clean it up Marriott.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our hotel. I am disappointed that your stay did not go as planed for you. I have also shared your comments on your experience with our entire service team as a model for training. I would like to extend an apology for the lack of service you received with the cleanliness of your room. We take great pride in delivering excellent customer service to our guest. I have used your comments as an example with the extending training we are doing with our staff in providing exceptional service at all times. Although we do have different room types I also wanted to apologize for the size of your room from what you expected.
Once again I want to thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our hotel and apologize for what you had to go through during your stay.
Please feel free to contact me directly if you having any other concerns you would like to share.

Reviewed June 11, 2012

The decor is nice, the rooms are nicely appointed. Beyond that, this hotel is a mess. The staff is ill-informed and just rude. We arrived at the same time as several other friends and we all checked in together. The first two families checked right in and went to their rooms. We however, were told that our room was not ready. When we asked how that was possible (it was after 3:00-check-in time), they said it wasn't cleaned yet. We asked to go to another room and they said the rooms were pre-assigned and it wasn't possible to change it. We asked-the hotel was not full, but they would not move our room.

If you don't buy their over-priced (even by business hotel standards) drinks in the hotel bar, they will not let you have any other food or drink anywhere around the lobby. If you want to have your own food and socialize with friends and colleagues, it has to be in your room. The security staff do not wear identification of any kind, so it appears that you are being harassed by a fellow patron. When we notified the clerk at the desk, she said that person was security.

Don't even think about letting your teen-aged kids go to the pool without an escort. They were harassed as soon as they got off the elevator. Anywhere my kids tried to go, a staff member told they needed to go to their room.

We cut our 3-day visit short by a night and will not be going back.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our hotel. I am concerned that your stay did not go as planed for you. I have also shared your comments on your experience with our entire service team as a model for training. I would like to extend an apology for the lack of customer service you received during your stay. We take great pride in delivering excellent customer service to our guest. I have used your comments as an example with the extending training we are doing with our staff in providing exceptional service at all times.

Reviewed May 29, 2012

Just got back from a 3 night stay here. It was our first since all the renovations were done, and I have to say, I was impressed with the change.

The decor was very nice / modern. The lobby area is now very nice & a great spot just to 'hang out' and watch a game on the televisions. The bedrooms were greatly improved, as well. Beds were very comfortable, rooms were clean, and there was more space (although not much space for clothes for a family of 4). One issue, though, was that the walls were paper thin. I mean you could hear EVERYTHING next door or out in the hallway, just like you were there with the people.

Didn't have a chance to eat at the restaurant. As we were with a group, they had a special breakfast buffet for us in the ballroom. Hopefully that was not indicative of the restaurant, as the breakfast buffet was horrible - literally just a large bin of scrambled eggs and another of bacon. Some bruised fruit in a large bowl and some muffins finished it off. Not very impressive.

Service was very good. All the staff greeted you when they saw you and were very pleasant. The bellmen were great (like Eric) and were always trying to help - whether to give you their own cell phone to make a call or to drive you somewhere in the complimentary shuttle van.

It's also a great location, just minutes away from the beautiful Naperville downtown.

While it wasn't perfect, overall, a good value.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank MSkinner

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our hotel. Thank you for the positive comments about our hotel. We have taken great pride in the finishing product of our hotel. We have also shared your comments on your experience with our entire service team as a model for training. I would also like to extend an apology for the quality of breakfast for your group. I have shared your comments with our food and beverage team. I have also shared your comments with the bell service team on the positive comments you gave them.
Once again I want to thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our hotel and look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed May 28, 2012

I understand that this hotel has been remodeled and has just reopened. In a nut shell, it is not a good hotel now, maybe give it some time to work the kinks out.

THE GOOD: The hotel is nicely decorated with a contemporary theme. I like the fact that everything is new. The furniture is nice without scratches and even the carpet seems good.

THE BAD: The staff is still trying to work out the kinks with the various mechanical systems. During our Memorial Weekend stay, we constantly fought the air conditioning. At best, you have to turn it off, then turn it on by placing fan at 'On' position rather than 'Auto'. Then turn out the system to cool. If you do that, then the A/C will run for about 10 minutes. Had to sleep at 78 degrees. And this was a full service Marriott.

Wait for 6 months and see if it gets better.

And one more thing. The staff is one of the rudest, arrogant groups of people. They make you think that you work for them. Not what I expect as a gold card member.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Nina M

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our hotel. I am disappointed that your stay was not at all what you expected.
I would like to apologize on behalf of the hotel and our team for your stay. Thank you for the positive comments about our design and decorations of the hotel. We have taken great pride in the finishing product of our hotel. We have shared your comments on your experience with our entire service team as a model for training. You may be interested to learn that we have completely redone the ac system to rectify the problems we were having in the rooms. I know it would be frustrating to have ac problems in the summer while you are trying to enjoy your stay. I would also like to extend an apology for the lack of customer service you had at the hotel. We have also had extended training with our associates to offer the best experience possible for our guest.

Reviewed May 26, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel twice since it has opened. Love the lobby and the contemporary, updated look. The bar area is nice, with TVs over the top and good food. I ordered a beef brisket sandwich, and they brought me the dinner instead, but they promptly corrected the mistake (it might have been my mistake) and didn't make me feel badly for the error. The rooms are very nice and comfortable. The bathrooms are small, and I think that is probably because this is a remodeled Holiday Inn and they might not have had the ability to expand the bathroom to the "normal" Marriott size. The staff vary from excellent to okay in their service. Front desk, bartenders, and shuttle drivers are very well trained for service. Phone operators who schedule shuttle rides need some improvement -- I waited on the shuttle from my office to the Marriott for 35 minutes after being told the driver would "be right there," and my office is less than a mile from the Marriott. I think this is a very good hotel for business travelers -- it's convenient and has nice amenities.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our hotel. We have shared your positive comments on your experience with our entire service team as a model for training. I also want to apologize for the long wait with the shuttle service picking you up at your business. We have continued to go above and beyond in the training of the operators to ensure all aspects of the hotel are a pleasurable experience for our guests.

Reviewed May 25, 2012

Early last year I cashed in some credit card points for three $100 Marriott Travel Cards. At the time of receipt, I checked the balance of all three to confirm each had $100.

Upon check-in at this property today (May 25, 2012), I handed Brittany one of the cards. My total stay is $174. I advised I had another Travel Card to use but only if I didn't have to forfeit the $26 difference; otherwise, I would remit the $74 on my Visa.

Brittany swiped the card and advised $100 was on the card. However, she could not get it to post to my account. A second attempt yielded the same results. Brittany then went for assistance and Nicole returned with her.

I have NEVER been so embarrassed. Nicole ran the card a third time and advised the balance was $0. She then called the number on the back of the card and entered the card number and the automated system said the card was $0.

I told Nicole it was $0 because Brittany had already ran the card twice. Brittany advised Nicole it did show in their system $100 upon initial run but it didn't post to my account. I told Nicole I had three cards for a year, all had $100 upon receipt and they have never been used. I gave her the other two cards and she verified they each had $100 on them. I then picked the two cards up from the desk believing the one in question was still in Nicole's possession. Nicole proceeded to tell me I was trying to check-in with a Travel Card that's been previously used and WITHOUT MY CONSENT ran one of the two good cards towards my check-in. When I protested, she said I picked up the bad card not both good ones.

This exchange became heated as I don't appreciated being referred to as a liar and cheat. Other staff and customers heard the exchange. Nicole was adamant and held her ground and added I need to provide the other good card or a credit card to cover my balance so check-in could be completed.

I handed Brittany my Visa while Nicole is telling me I used the Travel Card previously and must have forgotten. WTH(eck)??? This prompted me to call the number on the back of the Travel Card in search of an agent. Upon speaking with an agent, she said the card was $0 because at 3:30pm today, THE HOTEL CAPTURED the $100 off the card. I asked her if I could put my phone on speaker so she could repeat. Nicole identified herself to this agent and the agent verified Marriott Naperville captured the $100 at 3:30pm and gave Nicole a folio number. Nicole NEVER apologized. Just took the $0 card stating she would have the $26 difference put back on the Travel Card and I could come get it from the desk later.

That's it? Intimate I'm a liar and a cheat and don't apologize? Have it confirmed you created the error and no apology? I will NEVER be back and if my other Travel Card hadn't been run already along with my credit card, I would've left immediately and crossed the street to the Hilton.

I live 65 miles away and just drove out here to treat myself and my goddaughter for the weekend. I've had the Travel Cards for over a year and they expire in Jan 13. So I thought, drive out to Naperville and treat myself. Yeah right, NEVER AGAIN. I didn't spend all this gas and time to drive out here to be treated like this. STAY AWAY from this property. This was beyond embarrassing and ridiculous. I'm still flabbergasted Nicole didn't apologize. Also, why didn't Nicole hit zero for an agent when she was validating the card? Hmmmm, because per her, the customer is assumed to be a liar and cheat.

I've emailed the GM and Marriott corporate. I want an apology and I don't EVER want to dawn these doors again.

As an aside, the rooms are beautiful, spacious, and clean but I could've found that in the Loop.

Never again

• Stayed: May 2012
5  Thank ashaw

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our hotel. I am disappointed that your stay was not what you expected.
I would like to apologize on behalf of the hotel and our team for your stay. I am truly sorry for the experience you had in regards to the check in process and the gift cards that you were trying to use. Although we spoke at the hotel about the situation I am sorry for putting in that situation. We have shared your experience with our entire service team as a model for training. It would be my pleasure to extend a hand at staying at our hotel again in your future travel plans. Please contact me if you are interested in a possible stay at our hotel and I will personally take care of the arrangements for you.
Once again I want to apologize for your experience at our hotel and thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our hotel.