“Pricey and hardly any vegetarian options”

Hugo's Frog Bar & Fish House - Naperville
Reserve with OpenTable
Hugo's Frog Bar & Fish House - Naperville is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 458 Restaurants in Naperville
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Van Buren
Transit: METRA
Reviewed January 13, 2013

I'm pretty sure we had to ask for them to make us something special, because they have few to no vegetarian options on their menu. You would think in this day and age that there would be a few things offered--and please, not just pizza and pasta!

Reviewed January 9, 2013 via mobile

We have been to this Hugo's many times and came back on Sunday for lunch. This past visit included great service as we have learned to expect. The staff was very welcoming and warm. The restaurant was very vibrant and clean. We always start with the soup, and had the clam chowder and the bookbinder soup which we love. I think they have great menu choices and we enjoyed both our dishes. Our waitress was excellent in the service and describing some of their specials. The location is in a great part of town near parking, shopping, and night life. I think it is a bit overpriced, but the quality is very good. Give it a try!

Reviewed January 6, 2013

Rush Street prices (naturally) but suburban food quality. I couldn't believe what I paid for5 what I got. Won't be back. It's a shame, because it's a nice atmosphere and location.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

I first went to Hugos Frog Bar in July 2011 for my birthday. I have to say I was impressed by the food and service. The waiter was classy and offered a nice set of dinner specials. One special, which I ordered, was a surf and turf that had a nice fillet with 1 and a half pounnds of split crab legs for around $60. I never order crab legs unless they are split, I don't like messing with it. We left that night with a memorable evening. Well the following year on my 50th birthday we decided to go back there. After talking my friends into it as I assurred them a great experience, I can say the entire party of 10 we brought in was dissappointed. We first entered and had to wait twenty minutes for a table even though we made a reservation weeks in advance. We finally sat down and from beginning to end the service was SLOW and had an attitude. It took forever to get drinks, appetizers, dinner, and we waited about thirty minutes to get the check. My wife had to get up and ask a manger for the check. We were there for three and a half hours. Unacceptable! It was my birthday and I wasn't driving so I was looking forward to knocking down a few drinks. Problem was I would sober up before I could get another drink. The waitress came over to take our order and I asked about specials. She looked at me funny and said "we don't do specials. you have to order off the menu" Strange, last year I ordered a special and was hoping to have the same dish for dinner. So I decided to make my own special. By the time I put together a fillet and added som crab legs, I was looking at $100. That's Ok it's my 50th birthday. I'll splurge. After an hour and a half the dinners come out. I have my fillet and a big knuckle of crab legs. You would have to dig forever to get some meat out of this. I talked to the waitress and told her that the only reason we came here was to eat crab legs we don't have to mess with. She told me that you only get the split legs if you arder the legs as a dinner. the add ons come as the knuckle. ARE YOU KIDDING ME!? A $100 plate and I get a stupid answer like that. After I complained further she told me she would talk to the chef and see if she can get split legs approved. ARE YOU KIDDING ME!? THE CHEF!? Tell the chef and his ego to cram it! I eventually got the legs but was told that it was only because it was my birthday. This entire evening was a bust and we couldn't wait to get out of this place. I was embarrased that I convinced my friends to go through this and spend twice as much as they thought they were going to. Hugo,s Frog Bar is an over rated, expensive, LOUD, rude, FAD eatery. Avoid this place. We spent close to $1000 there that night and felt terrible about it. The only people I saw there having a good time were over dressed yuppies who were too drunck to realize they were getting taken for a ride! There are much better places to go to at a better price.

3  Thank Ed D
Reviewed December 16, 2012

Business travel brings me frequently to this area and my colleagues and I have tried many of the top restaurants. This has become our favorite and the only choice when travel had me in town on my birthday. The wait staff are old school professionals with Midwest friendliness. Menu is wide-ranging and consistently excellent. Wine selection is particularly good with several gems and reasonable markup over retail, including a rarely found DeLille wine from near my WA home.
Always seems to be packed and the front room can be noisy from the bar crowd, so ask for a table in the back.