“Food - good; service - meh” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Meson Sabika

Meson Sabika
Reserve with OpenTable
Meson Sabika is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 441 Restaurants in Naperville
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Spanish
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Brunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: We are located in between West intersection and River road
Transit: The Metra is approximately 1.5 Miles from Meson Sabika.
Chicago, Illinois
“Food - good; service - meh”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

First of all, what kind of tapas restaurant makes you ASK for a list of sherries? Isn't that kind of a signature of tapas restaurants?

I hadn't been to Meson Sabika in several years. We went more frequently when we lived in Naperville, before the tapas craze got into full swing. Now, it's one of the few tapas places left in the suburbs. The food is good as it always was, but some of the small annoyances remain and others have appeared.

Hostess was somewhere between impersonal and professional. Didn't offer any information about a coat room (I assume that there was one because they had one in the past.) There were 2 of us and we were shown to one of the small tables. The group of 2 immediately after us got a table for 4, which would have been preferable because the tables are small and close together. Meson Sabika has a high noise level, but it is still possible to carry on a conversation, unlike many other restaurants. So, having a reservation may help you get a table, but not a good one.

We had menus and when the waiter showed up, he gave us a wine list, but it didn't have sherry and he said that he would have to go get another list for those. When I asked which ones were dry sherries, he said "they are Spanish sherries and they are all pretty dry." Well, there are variations in sherries, so that wasn't the response I was expecting!

We did order sherries, which took a while to appear. In the past, there was bread on the table shortly after you sat down. Now the bread appears with your first order evidently. And, we found out that one of us had a dinner menu and one of us had a lunch menu. And, we waited for what seemed to be a long time (around 15 minutes) between ordering and food arrival - even for the cold tapas. You do get a warning that the paella takes about 40 minutes, but nothing on the other courses.

I'd go again, just because the food is good and there aren't many tapas restaurants left. But, I'd make sure that I ate something before I went, so that I wouldn't get too peckish while I was waiting!

• Visited April 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank DixieIpsit

“Beautiful setting”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

The food and service at Meson Sabika are great. Good sangria. The setting is very nice in an old victorian home. Easy parking in large lot with none of the downtown Naperville parking hassle.

Visited October 2012
Naperville, Illinois
“Finally tried Meson Sabika!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

I have lived in Naperville over a decade. I have said at least 50 times...we need to try Meson Sabika. We went on a friday night without a reservation (a no-no) and had to sit in the bar. That being said, we were there early and had a LOVELY table in the bar. I would almost prefer it the next time. Our servers were amazing. I couldn't decide which bottle of wine to choose and I asked for our server to help...told him I like reds, usually a cabernet and I'd like to stick around $40....but price didn't matter too much. Anyways he chose one that he said was popular ($28!!) and it was perfect for us. (I am not a picky wino). He also said that about 4 tapas would probably be enough...we chose 2 cold to start and then had 2 hot...it was a PERFECT amount of food for the 2 of us. I loved everything about this place. The icing on the cake was that there was a gentleman playing a guitar and a lovely flamenco dancer near us. I am ashamed I haven't been here sooner...but so happy to have had the experience and look forward to going again.

• Visited March 2013
“local legend”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

charming, graceful building. established menu of traditional favorites and new culinary delights. never disappoints. can't wait for the patio to reopen this spring.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank nprvl
Chicago, IL
“Love that Tapas. Not the best service.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2013

We LOVE the food and Meson Sabika. You must try the potatoe salad and the bacon-wrapped dates. If you are new to Tapas, you might just ask the waiter for suggestions. I would avoid the larger meals and just get lots of cold and hot tapas plates. You will have lots of flavors. Our last two visits had very poor service. The last time we went, we had to send a bussboy to hunt down our waiter. When he finally appeared, he said "I have a lot of stuff going on." Huh? What stuff? That was the last time we saw him until we got the bill. But overall we enjoy the restaurant. You just can't be in a hurry.

Visited February 2013

Been to Meson Sabika? Share your experiences!