“Better hotels in the area for the money”

Extended Stay America - Chicago - Naperville - East
Ranked #16 of 18 Hotels in Naperville
Washington D.C.
“Better hotels in the area for the money”
Reviewed November 6, 2013

Traveling with my sister, her daughter, and my infant child, I needed to book a hotel that would provide a bigger-than-average room with more than one bed, as well as a kitchenette. I booked our 3 night stay through Priceline, and from the description, Extended Stay America Naperville East seemed to be perfect for us. Our "king suite" included a king sized bed, a full size pull out couch, and a kitchen.

Upon arrival, we were immediately disappointed. Here's the rundown of what failed to meet our expectations:
-Staff was fine, but certainly not friendly or welcoming. I called in advance to see if they had cribs or bassinets on site that I could use, and was told that they didn't have anything like that, but instead: "There is a Target close by and you could go buy one there if you wanted." Are you kidding me?

-We were told upon check in that as we were staying under 8 days, we would not receive housekeeping during our stay. I've stayed at other "long term stay" type hotels, and never had this policy. It wasn't a big deal for us, but it is worth noting. I would have at least appreciated the trash to be emptied every day! (esp. as ours was filled with diapers!)

-The whole hotel smelled. Badly. Our hallway - despite having all non-smoking rooms - smelled like smoke. Our room smelled musty and stale. We spent minimal time in the room (really just for sleeping) and since the entire hotel had a bad odor, I didn't think requesting a room change would do any good.

-The room, despite it's promising description, was pretty cramped. Once the pull out couch was pulled out, there was hardly any room to walk around.

-The bed had lots of pillows (yay!) but was pretty lumpy and, simply put, not the most comfortable bed I've ever used.

-The bathroom was outdated, ugly, and in poor condition. There was a chip out of the toilet seat. The towels were rough and SMALL. The shower got nice and hot, but it always, always made a high pitched whistle sound - no matter how I positioned the handle.

- Heating was off kilter. When we arrived, the room felt like a sauna. The heat was turned on "low", yet the room was boiling hot. We turned the heat off completely (it took all night to cool down to about 72 degrees) for our entire stay.

-The entrance doors randomly lock. We were locked out of the hotel one evening (around 10 pm, not super late) and couldn't get anyone to let us in for a few minutes. Not even our room key would get us in. The employee who eventually let us in said, "That's weird, I wonder how it got locked?" Um...

-WiFi is provided but the signal is WEAK.

Ok, so it wasn't all bad. There was free breakfast provided (very simple but still nice: coffee, hot chocolate, granola bars, oatmeal, apples). The kitchen in the room was fully functional and a great resource. My sister noted that the TV in the room - a nice new flatscreen - was probably the best feature (bummer for us as we only watched a total of 20 minutes, of Sesame Street, no less, as we were packing up to leave).

Even booking through Priceline, it wasn't that cheap (still about $90/day for our "king suite", the most expensive room). With all the other options in the Wheaton/Naperville area, I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Chicago - Naperville - East, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. We strive to provide guests with all the comforts of home, so I am disappointed to hear that our hotel wasn't the best fit for you. I am so sorry to hear about the shower head whistling and the other maintenance issues in the room, As I look in our issues log I am just curious as to if you reported it to our front desk staff. If it had been reported, these are issues we would have been able to fix immediately. Our hotel policy as far as the housekeeping service, is to not provide housekeeping service to guests staying under 8 days. That is the standard for all of our Extended Stay brand hotels. However, at any time during your stay you can bring the soiled linens or towels to the front desk and we are more than happy to exchange those for some fresh ones. There are trash rooms located on each floor for the guests convenience so that trash does not build up in the room. All of our outside doors are locked 24 hours with the exception of the front entrance doors. Our front entrance doors are locked from 9pm-7am for the safety of our hotel guests. Still, I am pleased you found our fully equipped kitchen and flat screen televisions to be an added value.

Your feedback is very important to us, so thank you for sharing. Please contact me, at NPR@extendedstay.com, if you would like to discuss this further. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any other Extended Stay Hotels location in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
San Jose, California
Reviewed August 22, 2013

This place is terrible, looks like staff is overworked and underpaid - which shows in the rude behavior with the customers . same front desk person is seen working for 12 hours or more in stretch from tying ribbons in the parking area to stacking bedsheet. the front desk lady herself complained about extended stay company selling rooms for less to priceline customers and hence they behave rude to people to pay less for same room.... anybody listening from extended stay please let this motel go back to what it was before ..this isnt extended stay standards and this isnt an extended stay hotel there is so less space in the lobby and even in rooms

Room Tip: Please pass and stay at county inn or insist on extended stay at warrenworth few miles away .. this...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Don B
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Chicago - Naperville - East, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Thank you for the feedback about your stay at our hotel. We strive to provide guests with all the comforts of home, so I am disappointed to hear that the staff demenor toward any guest is nothing short of courteous and friendly.

To uphold our company's high standards, we will be addressing this issue with our entire team. As this hotel's manager, I can also assure you that we are following the proper measures to gain the adequete staffing for this hotel. I really appreciate you bringing this to our attention.

To discuss further, or if you have any questions, please contact me at NPR@extendedstay.com. It would be our pleasure to have you stay with us again in the future to show you our positive strides taken to enhance your experience with us.

Travelers are raving about these Naperville hotels

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 6, 2013

For the star rating of this hotel, the overall value was great. Location was off the beaten track, however, close to many restaurants, shopping outlet, and conveniently located by the highway. Our room was clean and we got the privacy that we were looking for. I would stay here again if in the area.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Chicago - Naperville - East, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. While I am sorry that our location was not ideal, I am glad that you received the privacy and value you were looking for. The staff and I truly enjoyed having you visit with us and we look forward to seeing you in the future, should your travels bring you back to our area.
Pune, India
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Economic and cooking facility is good perticularly if you are staying outside your home for more than a month,Rooms are dark , Cleanness of room is okay .Rooms always smell .
But okay if your priority is cooking .

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Chicago - Naperville - East, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Sambit - Thank you for your recent review of your stay. I am so glad that you liked your room, especially the kitchen. Still, the situation you described regarding the smell of your room is truly regrettable. We are very sorry for your experience. I met with the staff, and we will ensure that it is removed and this type of issue is not repeated.

I really appreciate you bringing this to our attention. To discuss further, or if you have any questions, please contact me at NPR@extendedstay.com. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience the next time you're in town.
Johnson City, Tn
Reviewed July 9, 2013

We stayed here with our three young children for 4 nights while visiting the Chicago area. We could definitely tell that it was recently renovated- everything was VERY clean and in great condition. The room looked very nice. At the bargain price we paid on Priceline you can't reasonably expect high-end furnishings and finishes or executive concierge service- but you can and should expect a clean room in good condition and a competent, pleasant staff, and that is exactly what we got. The hotel is located in sort of a "business park" area (nice office buildings around) with some restaurants right around the corner- if you stayed here without a car it would be inconvenient, but assuming you have a car, everything you need is within 2-3 miles. The breakfast consisted of good coffee, muffins, granola bars, and apples- for an extended stay place it was great, a very nice touch. Had no problems with the free wi-fi. We had stayed at an extended stay place in Denver a few days earlier that was *terrible*- filthy and worn out- this place was absolutely fantastic by comparison. Would definitely recommend to friends and stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Chicago - Naperville - East, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. We appreciate the kind comments about our hotel. To uphold our company's high standards, we will continue to provide great customer service as well as great housekeeping moving forward.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. If you have any additional feedback, we would like to hear it. Please contact me, at NPR@extendedstay.com, so we can speak directly. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any other Extended Stay Hotels location in the future.
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

Hallways and rooms smelled. For a renovated hotel, I expected much more! Upon arrival the room we were assigned, the air didn't work. They gladly gave us another room which smelled musty. There are no ice machines but they told us that each refrigerator in the rooms has ice trays. How does that help when you have to wait until it freezes to have ice cubes.

• Stayed July 2013
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Chicago - Naperville - East, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
The staff and I read your comments about your stay with us. The situation you described regarding the odor you smelled in the hallway as well as in your room is truly regrettable. We are very sorry for your experience. To ensure that a situation like yours doesn't happen again, my team is working to eliminate any odors within the hotel as soon as possible.

We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate you providing us with your feedback. To discuss further, or if you have any questions, please contact me at NPR@extendedstay.com. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience the next time you're in town.
Panama City, Florida, United States
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Was there to bury my Mom, asked them to clean room on Thursday, had been there since Saturday, desk cleark made a note and I ssumed it would be taken care of, upon return from one of the worst days in my life, the room had not been cleaned, and a terse message had been left on my voicemail that it is company policy that if you're only staying 7 days, then the room would not be cleaned, for their policy is rooms are cleaned once every seven days. Well Duh, doesn't that mean I should have had my room cleaned once within that seven days? they didn't see it that way. Wiifi, at login had to enter code, then they would try to up-sell their "high speed" wi-fi with more bandwidth. Which I bet most people do, for the basic in-room wi-fi was horrible, constantly dropping connection or "losing" the signal, causing you to disconnect and reconnect with the wi-fi router/repeater multiple time an evening, especially during "prime time" for internet use between 7-9 PM.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Kurt - I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. I am so disappointed that our housekeeping services were not properly explained to you. Please accept my apology. As this hotel’s manager, I can assure you that I have coached my team to ensure your experience is not repeated. As far as the internet WiFi, I will also be sure to get in touch with our tech support to make them aware of this problem and have it repaired as needed.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly, at NPR@extendedstay.com, should you wish to discuss this further. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience the next time you're in town.