“Magical - Vanessa was an awesome tour guide”

Millennium Carillon
Ranked #8 of 45 things to do in Naperville
More attraction details
Owner description: 14-story tall tower with a 72-bell Carillon instrument inside. Climb to the top and see Naperville and beyond. On a clear day, see the Chicago Skyline. Concerts are performed by world-renowned carillonneurs spring-fall and concert-goers can enjoy the music from the lawns surrounding the tower. Also a site for weddings.
Reviewed July 19, 2013

We were so lucky to get there in time for a tour. $3 is all you pay. Someone was already playing when we began our ascent - just magical with the bells ringing, songs playing, pure power of music and physics, we thought it was a recording, but a real person was playing. We got to see him handling the hammers - I felt a cross between something from Phantom of the Opera and the Wizard of Oz. Vanessa was an awesome tour guide explaining about the bells being rung by a hammer on the side vs the clacker on the inside (my term, not hers). We were allowed to linger at the top, just taking in the landscape - the pool to one side, the cemetery to the other, the churches, that initially seemed to be at a significant elevation didn't seem that way when we were at the top. Music played the entire time.

I was so grateful to the Mosers for their generosity and to the many generous donors (their names are on bells with sweet inscriptions). Even with the powerful tones, it was meditative. . . except of course when my sweet husband wouldn't stop talking and asking people what they like on hamburgers etc etc. If you were on my tour, I apologize.

Everyone was each in his/her own world. Vanessa answered our questions, was charming and told us she never gets tired of hearing the bells.

Be warned, you have to walk at least six of the flights of steps, but I'm not in that great of shape and I did just fine. Vanessa let me take my time on the way down to take pictures and enjoy the music - very very cool. She said the views were awesome in the fall. I bet they are.

1  Thank MadEater
There are newer reviews for Millennium Carillon

Reviewed July 9, 2013

I was able to make it up to the top with the little one I have with me! Enjoyed every minute of the view and spending time taking in the entire experience! Will be back again for sure!

Reviewed June 3, 2013

The Riverwalk goes right by it. Visitors can climb the 253 steps to the top of the 160-foot tower and enjoy a spectacular view while learning about the workings of the Carillon, its history, and its unique features. With 72 bronze bells that range in weight from ten pounds to six tons, Naperville’s musical tower is ranked among the four largest carillons in the world. Musical selections are played automatically on the bells at noon, 4 p.m. and 7 p.m. daily. The summer recital series brings artists from around the world to perform. Special recitals are also scheduled at various times.

2  Thank WorldTravelers34
Reviewed April 29, 2013

its the Riverwalk that goes right by it. Nothing like listening to Paperback Writer played on bells that continue to ring for 20 seconds after struck. Amazing the stuff they try to play on it. Rarely does it work very well but the Carillon is worth seeing because its on the Riverwalk and THAT is definitely worth seeing. It is fun trying to figure out what song they are playing on the Carillon...usually on the hour.

Reviewed January 9, 2013

Best at concert time, when you can even tour the carillon sometimes. The listeners bring blankets and sit on the grass.