“I love this hotel but...”

Hotel Arista at CityGate Centre
Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Naperville
Woodland Hills, CA
“I love this hotel but...”
Reviewed May 18, 2013

I love this hotel and this pains me to do, but I'd be remiss not to put pen to paper, or in this case, fingers to keyboard to describe my last experience here. I've come here on business 3-4 times so far and I will be back again (so hopefully, this review won't be held against me). As always, check in was a breeze, my room was both comfortable and clean, room service for dinner was great and everything was awesome as usual (save for the TV not working at first.) The next morning, I ordered room service for breakfast and was eating greek yogurt with granola when I noticed a different type of crunch. At first, I thought my tooth shattered, but after I fished out the shard from my mouth, cupped it in my hand and stabbed myself, I realized it was a small piece of a broken dish - a super sharp shard of porcelain! I immediately called the front desk who sent the manager up. I gave him the evidence and he had another breakfast sent right up. The poor girl from room service looked horrified and was truly apologetic. About ten minutes later, there was a knock on my door and the hotel had sent up a bottle of wine. So, yes, nearly swallowing a sharp piece of porcelain (and worrying if I had ingested any) really sucked, but it was the way that the hotel management handled the situation that will keep me coming back in the future. Mistakes happen and I appreciate the prompt action, apologies and the attempts to make it right.

Room Tip: I prefer the rooms facing the front of the hotel. The ones in the back look over a parking structure...
1 Thank K4Lakers
JeffBrownGM, General Manager at Hotel Arista at CityGate Centre, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback from your stay. We are looking forward to your next stay, and we are very appreciative of the great feedback from your past visits. Regarding the issue that you encountered upon your last visit; I sincerely apologize and I can assure you that we will not let a mistake like this happen twice. Our Food and Beverage team works diligently to ensure that every meal we serve exceeds expectations. It is the valuable feedback from our guests that allows us to improve our products and services every single day. I am glad that you will be returning, and I can say with confidence that you do not have to worry about any similar issues ever occurring again. Please let me know if I can be of service in any way. Thank you!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Rancho Palos Verdes, California
Reviewed May 9, 2013

This is advertised as a luxury hotel but it doesn't function that way. No bellman or valet. We had to schlep everything ourselves, but they kindly provided a metal valet luggage rack for us to push ourselves. Gee thanks! Understaffed -- waited in line to check in for 10 minutes. Shower leaks. Shower door doesn't close. Room service food inedible. View of...nothing....pebble rooftop and completely boxed in...we could've been staying in Queens. Pretentious. Glass walls in bathroom -- no privacy. I've travelled all over the world, land and sea in 5-star/5-diamond hotels and this ain't it. Just go to the Hilton or Marriott down the road. Get better service and no meaningless gimmicks.

Room Tip: Get a higher floor. Or just go to the Marriott.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank carefulreview
I deeply apologize that your stay was not enjoyable in many aspects. I would like to discuss these issues in further detail, so that we can continually improve; in order to provide better service. I would love the opportunity to have you return, so that you can experience the wonderful service that is standard at Hotel Arista and that our guests are accustomed to. I cannot apologize enough that your stay was not enjoyable, and I can promise you that we are working to ensure that each item you mentioned is remedied immediately. Please contact me at your convenience, as I would love the opportunity to have you experience what Hotel Arista is truly about.
Reviewed May 7, 2013

This is a mid-rise business hotel, beautifully appointed rooms, but a little peculiar. When I pulled up at 9 PM on a Saturday, there were cars parked everywhere, and I waited quite a while for a valet. As it happened, they were doing work on their garage and had all the cars parked on the street. I finally spotted one person who looked like a hotel employee, and asked for a valet. He said something like "oh, yea, I'll take the car", but drove it to a garage up the street. Check-in was O.K., but no one to help with luggage. The original room I was assigned was in the wrong location, so I was dragging my luggage around looking at other rooms. Many of the rooms look either into a parking structure or the building (close) next door. Few of the rooms have good views...even on the higher floors. When I called downstairs, the guy answering the phone was the same person who parked the car. Then, when I called for room service, it was the same person taking my order! I might add that although the hotel isn't huge, it's a good sized property. All this said, the rooms are functional and very attractive...expecially if you like more contemporary design. One great feature is that the hotel has "anti-allergy" rooms, which are immaculate (actually the whole hotel seemed very clean), and ALL the guest room windows open slightly. After staying in far too many hotels like sealed boxes, the ability to have fresh air in the room is huge. The room service food was decent, although pricy, and although I got a good room rate, things like bottles of in-room water with $4 price tags on them are annoying. No mini-bars...they have refrigerators which clearly were mini bars at one time. Maybe in better days. As indicated by the combo valet/phone operator/room service guy, they seem short-staffed on weekends. It was also hard to shake a creepy feeling that the hotel knows everything you're doing. All in all, I would probably stay here again (especially with their good weekend rates). The location is excellent, right off 88 and close to everything.

Room Tip: The rooms facing I-88 are the best views (really). The corner rooms on the ends are the worst...fac...
Dear regulartraveler705,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your valuable feedback about your stay with us. I apologize that you did not have the opportunity to experience an effortless arrival process, which is a large part of who we are. Our goal is to provide each one of our guests with a unique, unforgettable experience. The refrigerators in our rooms are one way that we strive to make each guest’s stay unique. Our Nosh Bar menus are available both online and in the rooms, and allow you to order only the drinks and/or snacks that you would like placed in the room. This allows us to provide our guests with the freshest products possible, and gives you another way to make your stay your own. We appreciate your feedback, and are working diligently to ensure that your next stay will be flawless. If you have any additional feedback, please do not hesitate to contact me directly. I hope that we will have the opportunity to make your future stays unforgettable.
Reviewed April 28, 2013

I stayed here for a solo getaway weekend, something I like to do occasionally And while the room was very, very nice, I was put off from the moment I checked in, when the front desk clerk questioned me as to the contents of my small cooler. For the record, yes, it was wine, and no, I wasn't planning a wild party in my room, just a little relaxing "me" time for this single mom. If it's the hotel policy not to allow guests to bring their own liquor, then make it clear at the time of booking instead of giving guest the third degree at the time of check-in. I couldn't help but feel like I would have been treated differently if I had been dressed to the nines. And I've stayed at more upscale hotels (like the Trump) and treated much more graciously.

Back to the room, it was nicely decorated and comfortably furnished. Bathroom was huge and the TV in the mirror is a fun touch, But the soaking tub, while deep, tapered in width towards the bottom, and was horribly uncomfortable. With all that space, I would have appreciate a bigger tub (especially since I had looked forward to some nice, long, relaxing baths.)

Like others, I agree that the parking situation can be really bad if there is a wedding or other event going on at the hotel. And location is rather isolated. Thankfully, I know the area well, and it wasn't that bad of a drive to the part of Naperville where there are more restaurants, shops, etc. And I knew there wasn't a pool when I booked, but one wonders WHY there isn't one (my gut feeling is that they are trying to appeal to young adults and business travelers rather than families.) But it would sure be a nice addition to the property and make it more appealing.

Overall, it's a lovely hotel but it just seems out of place in the suburbs...and with all the other choices I have for weekend getaways in the suburbs, it's not likely I'll return, solo or otherwise.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Dear lindabobhat,

I appreciate your feedback from your recent stay, as it allows us to constantly improve, in order to provide our guests with outstanding experiences. I am disappointed to hear that you felt questioned when bringing your cooler into the hotel. I have shared your feelings with our Front Desk Staff to ensure that no future guests will have the same feelings. Ensuring that our guests do not bring large quantities of alcohol into the hotel allows us to provide all of our guests with peaceful, relaxing experiences. Moving forward, I will personally make sure that this is done appropriately, and only if necessary. Please accept my sincere apologies for your inconvenience. For future reference; our guests do have access to multiple swimming pools in the immediate area (and even complimentary transportation if needed). I am saddened to hear that it is unlikely you will return, as our goal is to have every one of our guests become a loyal guest. Please feel free to contact me directly at your convenience, as I would love to have you experience the Effortless service that is standard here at Hotel Arista.
Union, Missouri
Reviewed April 10, 2013

We stayed here for a night while making a trip to Ikea. It is right off the highway which is nice and seems to be in some sort of business district or something. Upon arrival the parking situation is interesting but it's free so really can't complain about that. The person at the front desk was super nice and made checking in easy. The room was very cool.....a walk in shower, a tv in the mirror in the bathroom, a deep tub for a bath, nice big tv and the room was a very good size. We had left to eat and came back to a message on our phone which told us who was in charge that night if we needed anything which is nice. They don't have a vending area so you have to call the front desk for everything and they will bring it to you. Also I believe this might be the quietest hotel I've ever stayed in but then again it is more business oriented so that probably makes a difference there even though we did see a few kids. They also do not have a pool if that is something you are looking for. One nice touch was getting an email a couple days before our stay asking if there were any amenities you would like in your room and they gave you some choices such as a pillow menu (I picked the cherry stone), Wii, exercise bike, etc.....that are all included. They also asked for what occasion we were staying there and I noted it was my wife's birthday. When we came back from eating they had left a birthday cookie on the bed for my wife which was a really cool touch. All that being said, I would have given a 5 but the food was so incredibly expensive that you will have to go out unless money is no object. Just 2 examples was a food menu that is shown on screen has an omelet at $16 for breakfast and Kit-Kats for $7.....yes Kit-Kat bars for $7. That just seems a little much but we would more than likely stay here again because of the other reasons and just eat somewhere else.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear ScooterMcKyle,

Thank you very much for providing us with your valuable feedback from your stay. I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your wife’s birthday with us! Our goal is to provide you an effortless stay that is customized for you. I am glad that you were able to enjoy the Cherry Stone Thermal Pillow; and hopefully you will be able to experience more of our complimentary amenities on your next visit. Our custom Nosh menu is priced with tax and delivery fees included, and most of the items come with more than one. For example, the Kit Kat bars are two for $7. This is another innovative way for our guests to customize their stay. Hopefully, we will have the opportunity to accommodate you again in the near future. Thank you once again for your feedback!
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I stayed here for one night when visiting relatives. It was a nice hotel and had I been traveling for work, I would had been satisfied. Since it was more of a festive weekend, it was just OK. It is conviently right off 59 and 88, but not near any shopping areas. It has its own bar and a couple of restaurants, but they were pretty dead on the weekend. The decor is very modern and the room was very clean with a huge bathroom. There is no fan in the bathroom, which I thought was odd. The lobby is very small but there is a bar right off of it with some seating.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Nikki and Aaron,

Thank you very much for your feedback. Here at Hotel Arista our goal is to create an unforgettable experience for each of our guests; whether they are travelling on business, for pleasure, and anything in between. We are located 5 short miles from the Chicago Premium Outlets, which offers world class shopping and we even have a complimentary hotel shuttle that can take you there. Our shuttle can also take you to the Fox Valley Mall, which is a short drive to even more shopping options. Check out our website for upcoming events on the Citygate Centre campus this summer, such as Winefest. Winefest is one of the most festive events here in Naperville, and Hotel Arista is steps from the entrance. In the future, please let any of our Personal Hosts know the reason for your stay, and we will make sure that we exceed all of your expectations. Thanks again for your feedback, and we hope that we will have the pleasure of accommodating you again in the near future!
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 4, 2013

I stayed at the Arista for the first time three weeks ago. What a great surprise! I love the hotel and have already been back for a second stay. The staff is very professional - efficient, attentive, pleasant. I love the modern look. The bed was very comfortable, the room clean, and lots of little touches added up. Great food at the bar/restaurant and a nice wine selection even for the "by the glass", different than your standard fare. I am a frequent traveler, staying at hotels over 75 nights a year. I can't wait to get back to Chicago so I can stay there again. My only disappointment is that now I am going to have to stay at another hotel when I'm traveling somewhere other than Chicago. Bonus: Lavazza coffee shop next door with great coffee and my favorite: hazelnut gelato.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you very much for providing us with your feedback. Our staff strives to make every guests stay as effortless as possible. I am glad you enjoyed the service and your accommodations. Sugartoad Restaurant offers a 4-5-6 menu on Wednesday evenings, where wines by the glass are only $5. Lavazza is a great addition to our campus and we are thrilled that your enjoyed the delicious gelato during your stay. For even more great dining options, stop by The Tap In, which recently opened on the Citygate Centre campus. The Tap In is a Pub and Carvery that offers traditional favorites, as well as, fresh takes on homestyle dishes. We appreciate your wonderful feedback, and we hope to see you again soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Naperville
Hotel Indigo Naperville Riverwalk
Embassy Suites by Hilton Chicago-Naperville
Chicago Marriott Naperville
Chicago Marriott Naperville
#7 of 18 in Naperville
Fairfield Inn & Suites Chicago Naperville/Aurora
The Herrington Inn & Spa
Hampton Inn Chicago Naperville

Been to Hotel Arista at CityGate Centre? Share your experiences!