“Best Szechuan in town”

Mapo
Ranked #69 of 525 Restaurants in Naperville
Cuisines: Chinese, Taiwanese
Reviewed June 24, 2018 via mobile

Have a taste for delicious spicy food? This is the place to check out, and may end up as your favourite. Fast service, hot food, friendly staff and clean premises. We had the chicken sizzling rice soup, beef lomein,spicy fish fillet and taufu,and stir fried string beans. Will most certainly be back.

Date of visit: June 2018

Reviewed May 26, 2018

I live in the city so I never would have found Mapo on my own. But my Chinese family likes to go here on New Year's Day, so we headed over here as a group. I did see a comment about it not being "real Chinese", but I can say that my sister-in-law, who was born in Xi'an and lived there until her 30's (her family still lives there--she's the only one who resides in the US) has said this is her favorite Chinese restaurant. It reminds her of food she would have in China. And while there are some great dishes here--the country style beef is my favorite, and I don't usually like beef dishes--I was not about to try the pig intestine that even the other Americans said was not bad.

Date of visit: April 2018
Reviewed March 11, 2018

Mapo refers to Mapo Tofu which is a spicy tofu dish from Sichuan province. The sauce is usually an oily brown sauce. Indeed, many of the dishes on the menu feature variations of this type of sauce. We enjoyed a banquet here last night with 10 dishes. For the most part they were Cantonese style dishes which they don't do very well. Their specialty are really the Sichuan style dishes so stick with them. The service is on the brusque side so don't expect much help from the servers. Since the clientele is virtually all Chinese, folks usually just come in and order their favorite (Sichuan) dishes.

Date of visit: March 2018
Reviewed February 16, 2018

Have been hear numerous times for lunch as I work in the area. Food is always fresh and served very quickly. Prices are very reasonable for a very filling lunch special menu that I cannot finish.

Date of visit: February 2018
Reviewed July 23, 2017

I've been to China 3 times each time for 4-7 weeks. As you may know most so-called Chinese restaurants in the US are not very Chinese. When I read the menu here I had very high hopes that this was going to be legitimate Chinese food. Unfortunately the food I got was very poor. Cold and tasteless. There are better choices for real Chinese in Naperville.

Date of visit: October 2016