“If You're Hungry, This is the Place to Dine!”
Review of Hungry Bear - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Hungry Bear
Cuisines: American
Murphysboro, Illinois
“If You're Hungry, This is the Place to Dine!”
Reviewed January 9, 2014

The Hungry Bear offers ENORMOUS portions for a reasonable price. The food is good, and a plate is more than enough to eat and have some to take home. One of the best breakfast dining options around. The newly remodeled building is tastefully decorated and inviting.

Visited December 2013

“Great food. ”
Reviewed November 15, 2013 via mobile

Tons of differnt styled sandwhiches and burgers to choose from. The staff was very friendly. Will definitely being going back sometime.

1 Thank cmn0707
Murphysboro IL
“Better to stay hungry than eat at Hungry Bear”
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Sunday June 10 2013, will most likely be my last time eating at this place. I have been eating there for years when it was called Tippy's but times have changed. One positive note is they upgraded the interior and it looks good. I travel and eat out way more than I should and thus have seen good and bad service. This falls well within the bad category.
When I arrived I was alone and after about 5 minutes the waitress came by to clean the table. I told her that I was expecting 3 more people in just a couple minutes. She took my drink order and brought me TWO menus for the four of us. A few minutes latter the rest of my party arrived and we ordered. We had questions on the various types of salads which the waitress could not answer showing she had no idea of how the salads were made. After about 10 minutes of waiting one of people in our party was extra hungry and decided to go up to counter to ask for some snack crackers as waitress was busy with talking with her fellow waitstaff. At that time they gave him crackers and also then offered the complimentary rolls and butter. In past places I have been that bread is brought pretty early after seating which they seem to not do. We then went over to waitress and asked for silverware for our table. She brought a single set over and asked me if that was enough. Right or wrong I directly stated no as there was four of us.

The worst came when food was delivered. There was three salads and one mac and cheese kids meal. The waitress could not tell the difference in salads and gave two others the wrong salads. One of those salads even had the wrong dressing on it. The salad that I ordered was also brought wrong as it had ingredients on it that I had I asked left off. The waitress's defense was " I wrote it down."
I asked the waitress to tell the manager that we were very unhappy We never heard from anyone in restaurant even though we sat there for additional 30 minutes showing they just don't care. I did notice that 2 of the 3 tables around us the waitress was repeatedly saying "I'm Sorry" a lot indicating others around us were unhappy. Somehow that makes me feel better as I know it not just me complaining as I am getting confirmations from others around.
There is limited restaurant's in our small town and it is ashamed that one like this is wasting space that could of been used by someone that would run a decent business. If I go to this place again it will be only because I have eaten too many times at other locations or all those other locations will be closed.

• Visited June 2013