“A taste of Italy!”

Dining options: Reservations
Murphysboro, Illinois
“A taste of Italy!”
Reviewed January 9, 2014

Cummare's offers authentic Italian foods and flavors. Theirs is perhaps the BEST Italian cuisine I have ever had. It even outshines the restaurants on "The Hill" in St. Louis. When in Southern Illinois, Cummare's should be on your list of stops.

Visited October 2013

Steeleville, Illinois
“Overpriced and over-rated”
Reviewed November 18, 2013

I have seen this one on TripAdvisor for a while now and have been wanting to try it. We finally got the chance to give it a try. It wasn't the 'wow' I was looking for. We tried the Cheese Bread as an appetizer and it was pretty good, but the service did not give us that 'warm welcome' we were expecting. So at this point I am thinking 4 stars.

We got our salads, and drinks refilled, so again still on 4 stars, in my mind. Then came our food. My wife had the Spaghetti, I had the Chicken Fettuccine. My wife was given only 2 small meat balls, that were only average flavor, and the sauce was of average flavor. For $12 it was not worth it, we could have gone to a chain Italian restaurant and got better for lower price.

My Fettuccine was ok. The chicken had flavor, but the pasta was bland without flavor. Not worth the $15 menu price. Again I have been to Italian chains that had more flavorful pasta for lower prices. But my wife was really disappointed. For the price and quality of our food, I would have given 2 stars.

The 4 star beginning and 2 star quality of food, leads me to rate this at 3 stars. I understand that many on here are basing on Authenticity, but since we never been to Italy, we were not impressed.

All in all, for just two of us, it cost over $40, and that is without wine.

Frankly I can make my own fettuccine with way better flavor, at home.

• Visited November 2013
2 Thank Leslie T
Herrin, Illinois
“A Hidden Gem”
Reviewed November 14, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I recently discovered Cummares Italian Restaurant next to the courthouse in Murphysboro. Food is well prepared and delicious and the staff is friendly. Their pizzas are definitely the best in town, as are their appetizers and desserts.

“Seafood Ravioli to Die For!”
Reviewed November 2, 2013 via mobile

Oh man, and to think I didn't know about this place! I've lived in southern Illinois for 20 years and never have I tasted such great pasta! The seafood ravioli is out of this world. Even though the garden salad was out of a bag and nothing to write home about, the pasta was delicious. I will be back to try many other dishes. Great place. Actually, the best Italian food in Murphreesboro or Carbondale!

Carbondale, Illinois
“Thank goodness for a good Italian restaurant!”
Reviewed September 30, 2013

I was just telling my husband that I wish we had a good Italian place in the area and then a friend told me about this place. There are plenty of places that you can get decent pizza (in my opinion), but really good pasta is harder to find in Southern Illinois. I had the cannelloni and my husband had the seafood cannelloni. Both were excellent! I would definitely recommend this place!

Visited September 2013