“Nice hotel, nice staff, great value”

DoubleTree by Hilton Libertyville - Mundelein
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Mundelein
Roscoe,IL
“Nice hotel, nice staff, great value”
Reviewed October 26, 2008

I booked on Priceline, they treated us great, with no prejudice. Everything was clean, and well appointed. The restaurant, Karma had very good food. I would stay here agian.

• Liked — The room.
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Illinois
Reviewed August 3, 2008

I returned earlier today from staying at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Mundelein, Illinois. The nature of my visit was to visit Great America and spend the weekend with my family. I think this is a nice hotel if you're looking for a good price and still be close to attractions if you don't mind driving a little. This hotel was approximately 10-15 minutes from Six Flags. The hotel looks better on the inside than it does on the outside. When one looks at the fixtures in the rooms, it is obvious that the hotel has been nicely refurbished. However, one should not expect this to be a luxury hotel. Personally speaking, the beds were too firm for my husband and I. However, the pillows were numerous and very comfortable. This hotel also provides guest with a sleep mask, lavendar linen spray, ear plugs and a sleep cd which was a nice touch. The towels are also of decent quality and the water was nice and hot for showers and baths. There wasn't a microwave in our standard room, however, there was a microwave down the hall in the snack lounge. Also, the hotel provided a nice business center with printers, in addition to a very nice exercise room with a weight machine, 3 treadmills, an an exercise bike. Towels, a private bathroom and free water was also provided in the exercise room. My only disappointments were the refrigerator that didn't work properly and resulted in my daughter's milk spoiling and a sink that wouldn't drain. However, the maintenance man fixed it the next morning. In addition, I did not have an opportunity to visit the adjacent restuarant, however, my spouse said that it really looked nice. We did order room service from the restuarant and the entree that we received was good. There was a good selections of fast food restuarants to choose from in the vicinity and a very, very good breakfast establishment around the corner from the hotel...I think the name was Elma's. Nevertheless, it was a good hotel at a decent price. However, I probably will not return to the hotel because the firm beds did not afford me the opportunity to get a really good night's rest.

• Liked — the price
  • Disliked — the bed
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank TVRIllinois
Murrieta, California
Reviewed July 16, 2008

We were in the Mundelein area for a wedding and the groom suggested we stay at this place. Looked great when we first walked in. Upon closer inspection, I could see it was an older place. The shower in particular was very noisy and the tub looked worn. Overall though, it was a very comfortable place to be for four nights. We used the gym a couple times and it was clean and well maintained. The hotel is also in close proximity to a local health food store. We were able to pick up a few items and store it in our fridge for breakfasts (no continental breakfast was provided). Karma is the in-house restaurant but we didn't get a chance to eat there. Worth taking a peak inside though. They did a really nice job with the decor. Asian inspired with an impressive indoor water wall display. The closest train station (The metra) is in Libertyville, about 15 minutes away. We took the Metra to downtown Chicago during the busy 4th of July weekend and I'm glad we did. Much better than driving into the city and battling traffic. All in all, if you need to be in the Mundelein area, this is a good place to stay. Oh yes, there were at least a few malls within a 20 minute radius of this area. I was surprised about that!

• Liked — Close to the event we needed to be at.
  • Disliked — noisy shower
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank SanDiegoRoadWarrior
Surrey
Reviewed March 20, 2008

Stayed here while visiting Motorola, 10 mins down the road. Pretty good facilities: pool, gym, Asian restaurant. Rooms are a good size, beds are firm and comfortable, everything's clean and the wifi is free. Did the job fine as a business hotel.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
San Francisco, California
Reviewed March 11, 2008

I normally have suspicions of suburban chain hotels this far out of town, but was pleasantly surprised upon arrival at this Crowne Plaza. Not until tell-tale signs in the bathroom did I realize it was an old hotel (80s?) that had been remodeled -- they did a great job and it looks to be in great shape. The lobby and public areas are well designed in an American Arts & Crafts style, with lots of natural wood and period-looking fixtures. Check-in staff were friendly and efficient. The hallways to the rooms continued the theme decor. While I didn't step in to the fitness center, business center, or pool, all looked adequate.

The room itself was well-proportioned with a big bed, big desk, big safe, and nice chair. Decent lighting as well. The view out the window was of a parting lot and strip-mall, but that's what you find in that area of Illinois. A sign in the room indicated feather pillows were available on request, which I requested and were delivered promptly. One nice surprise -- free WiFi in the hotel room and public areas. While the room had a mini refrigerator, there was no minibar.

The biggest disappointment in the room was the air conditioner. This, and the shower, were the indications that the hotel was old. The wall-mounted unit was a bit noisy, and the control didn't work right. I was there in the deep of winter, yet the unit insisted on trying to maintain an exact constant temperature by cycling between heater and air conditioner. When the heat reached slightly above the level set on the thermostat, rather than just shutting off for a short while, the air conditioner -- actual A/C, not just cold air from outside -- would flood the room. The only way I found to stop it was to either turn the unit off completely or jack the temperature up so far that the A/C never came on. I was there only one night, so did not bother to complain.

The bathroom was big, and I had no problems (ventilation was minimal, but that's typical). The shower itself was clearly old from the looks of the tub stopper and control knob. To the hotel's credit, they had re-coated the tiles and installed an adjustable shower-head, such that you could position the shower above your head, rather than it being at arm pit level for us tall folk. The bathroom amenities were basic, but good quality.

I did not have a chance to try to restaurant, but colleagues who have stayed there previously say it's surprisingly good for a suburban chain hotel. The bar closes fairly early (11:00), but there's a pub next door which stays open later. Also did not try the room service or breakfast. One other nice touch -- they had wine and cheese in the lobby for all guests in the evening. Nothing fancy, but a nice touch.

Given the area and the dearth of other good hotels, I'll stay again at this hotel if I have to return to the Mundelein/Libertyville area.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank Jet-Setter-SF
La Crosse, Wisconsin
Reviewed March 9, 2008

If you have to come to the area, stay here! You won't be disappointed. Prairie School-inspired design and a modern Asian style restaurant. Crowne Plaza doesn't disappoint with this property.

Stayed March 2008
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed February 9, 2008

I stayed at this hotel for my companies "all-company" meetings. I have stayed here before, and I have always had a pleasant stay.

The rooms are nicely furnished. They have nice beds, and the bathrooms are modern with marble countertops, and good pressure shower heads. The rooms also have an attention to detail. They leave a clip to hold together the window blinds if you don't want to see the sun when it rises. They also left a lavender spray, an eye mask, and a CD of sounds to fall to sleep to. I always bring back this stuff for my fiance. Lastly, they leave lotion, which is travel size, and another item my fiance loves. The Internet service is free, wireless, and works well.

I have not tried the attached restaurant, Karma, but I have heard mixed reviews, from amazing to over-rated. I have eaten at Journey's end, which is to the south of the hotel, but just in the adjacent parking lot. The food is american bar/casual, and it is quite good. The adjacent bar also has a $0.75 draft special on Mondays and Tuesdays.

I would definetly recommend this hotel. It might be kind of pricey, but you'll be pleasantly suprised with the accomodations.

• Liked — Attention to detail, cleanliness, internet service
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank spoons99
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mundelein
Hampton Inn and Suites Chicago-Libertyville
Candlewood Suites Chicago Libertyville
Homewood Suites by Hilton Lincolnshire
Baymont Inn & Suites Mundelein Libertyville Area
Hotel Indigo Chicago - Vernon Hills
Hilton Garden Inn Lake Forest Mettawa

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Libertyville - Mundelein? Share your experiences!