“Showing Some Age”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Mundelein
Des Moines, Iowa
“Showing Some Age”
Reviewed November 4, 2012

I recently spent one night at the DobuleTree in Mundelein on a business trip. When we entered the hotel they had available some free wine, cheese and crackers. Thought that was a very nice gesture. The check-in gals were very nice and polite. Received a warm chocolate chip cookie once check in was complete. The hotel is close to being in need of some upgrading. There was dated wall paper everywhere and a lot of wood work that was from the 80's. My room was clean and big enough but like the rest of the hotel, it was in need of some updating. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom was clean. Overall, an average property with very friendly staff.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Lesley B, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Libertyville - Mundelein, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Thank you for staying with us at our hotel. We appreciate your candid review of our property. New perspectives about our hotel and our guestroom appearance help us make improvements to our guest experience on an ongoing basis. Please share any additional comments or suggestions with us any time.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Austin, Texas, United States
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Stayed here while in the area though colleagues were staying at another hotel. More reasonably priced and certainly reputable. Staff was very courteous and, though I was only there for a single night, they made me feel appreciated.

Only downside is the odd configuration, layout and furniture of the room. See pics but I had a hard time understanding why they'd have two extra large ranch-style chairs dominating the room between the bed and television. Completely unnecessary. Personally, I'd appreciate more space than to be dominated by more unorthodox furniture.

Besides that, very comfortable. I didn't notice if there were non-street side rooms available as the middle of the night traffic outside was noticeable through the windows.

Great price for the room, plus a nice desk space, made this a place I'd stay again.

Harshaw, Wisconsin
Reviewed October 17, 2012 via mobile

We stayed two nights in late September as out of town wedding guests. We paid the wedding block rate of $99 @ night + tax). All facilities were advertised and acceptable. The check in process included a warm cookie but no map of the facility - resulting in parking further away from our room than necessary & a long schlep with luggage. The attached restaurant is "Japanese" but not really. The food was overpriced and not good. Breakfast - we skipped the hotel breakfast (breakfast was not included on the room rate) and ate @ a great pancake house around the corner. One more note - this hotel is the only hotel this reviewer had ever visited that did not have a Do Not Disturb card on the door. There is a small button on the dark side of the door inside the room which you press to indicate Do Not Disturb or Service Please. This button was practically invisible - I had to talk to the front desk to find out the procedure for Do Not Disturb. When I did find the button, it was partially broken. Overall, I got value for my $ with a few unpleasant surprises.

• Stayed September 2012
Indiana
Reviewed October 10, 2012

Based on reviews I was expecting a pleasant stay at this property. However, when went to check-in at stated time of 3pm I was told room wouldn't be ready for an hour. Since had booked the room to get ready for a late afternoon wedding this was certainly a major inconvenience. An hour later the room still wasn't ready-had not even started cleaning it. I was told they had had a full house the night before and were running behind on housekeeping. When my room was finally available 20 minutes later(quick cleaning I guess) I was told there were no towels yet because "they are still in the dryer". Since we were booked as part of a wedding block this is really unacceptable-half the reason we booked here was to have time to get ready for the wedding. Only after I complained did they offer any compensation(free breakfast which couldn't use since wedding hosts were providing breakfast-subsequently knocked about a 1/3 off the cost of the room). Halls and room looked dated,worn and not spotlessly clean. Bed comfort was average at best. Overall disappointing stay for a Doubletree. Seems there are few options in Mundelein but next time I would stay in another suburb rather than stay here

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank IndianaTravelmom
Lesley B, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Libertyville - Mundelein, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Thank you for your review of your recent experience at our hotel. We’re very sorry that you encountered an unacceptable level of service. We do our best to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding stay. We’ve addressed these issues regarding the later check-in time with our staff. We also apologize for the lack of towels as well as the below standards cleanliness and hope that next time you’re in the area, you’ll visit us again and experience a higher level of customer service. Thank you again for your comments.
Cincinnati
Reviewed October 4, 2012

Stayed there on a business trip using a rate negotiated by a company that we visited. The actual rate was a bit higher than negotiated and the breakfast not free. Our host asked how the hotel was and I commented that the breakfast was great but expensive. He had his assistance call the hotel and within a short time, we had a visit by some hotel staff. They took care of the breakfast charge and fixed the other charge. I thought that this went over and beyond what was required, and I was quite impressed. Now, the hotel is nice, but the AC/heating system is a bit noisy but mainly white noise. However, the system kept the room very comfortable and not dry. Also, the bed was very comfortable. I would suggest a night light in the bathroom and some information regarding the reception and breakfast.

Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 2, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for a business trip. It was recommended by my hosts. The check in was quick and easy and the staff were very friendly. The free cheese and wine being served in the evening at the reception area was a very nice touch.
The room was very spacious which one expects from the States. My room had two Queen size beds, with ample space and was very clean.
I did not eat at the hotel but I wished I had when I saw the Asian food being served. I did have a drink in the very modern bar which was in total contrast to the wooden lodge stay of the hotel. The bar staff were also very friendly and attentive.
On the whole a very good stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed September 15, 2012

This place is absolutely gorgeous! Its seemed a bit out of place with its ski resort exterior and lobby in the middle of the Northern Chicago Suburbs but it made the place feel like an amazing get away! I was just there for a wedding and it felt like a resort vacation! The pool is amazing it has the feel of an outdoor pool as it is entirely enclosed in glass but as its enclosed its perfect for the climate and year around swimming!! Every time I had a request the staff was prompt and very pleasant! I did not eat there however so I can not speak to the room service or restaurant but I believe there was a breakfast buffet. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mundelein
Hampton Inn and Suites Chicago-Libertyville
Candlewood Suites Chicago Libertyville
Homewood Suites by Hilton Lincolnshire
Baymont Inn & Suites Mundelein Libertyville Area
Hotel Indigo Chicago - Vernon Hills
Hilton Garden Inn Lake Forest Mettawa

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Libertyville - Mundelein? Share your experiences!