“Super service”

El Barrio Restaurant & Lounge
Ranked #33 of 113 Restaurants in Mundelein
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed October 26, 2014

Had the good fortune to try this place, and found it to be more than reported. The margaritas were on special, and very good. They were so good that we ordered another round.
Then the food arrived quickly, and presentation was alright. I am against all this "stacking" that seems to be the rage among chefs. My chimichangas were stacked, and it would have looked better had they been side by side, with the guacamole and sour cream on top, instead of between the two. The guacamole was very flavorful.

Reviewed August 19, 2014

Food was delicious. Reasonably priced. A real bargain..Manny the waiter was very helpful. Chimichanga was filled with chicken.

Reviewed June 23, 2014

I'm amazed at some of the reviews I've seen for this place. I'm not even Hispanic and I can cook Mexican cuisine far superior to this restaurant. I ordered the chimichanga dinner. The only fresh ingredient on the plate was a bit of lettuce and tomato. The refried beans were obviously canned and of poor quality. The guacamole was avocado and tomato with no seasonings, the chimichanga was low quality ground beef sautéed with onion, probably a few days before. That's all that was in it! The rice was pre-made and must have been a few days old as well. I paid $15.95 for a meal barely worth $5!

What a waste of time and money. No wonder my guest and I were the only ones there just before noon on a Friday, yet! Avoid this place. Don't waste your time and money!

Reviewed June 7, 2014

We were with business associates/friends and had no idea why this picked this place as we drove to it, but after the food came, I get it. The service (it was a VERY quiet weeknight) was great, and the food was fantastic. It helps to have no expectations, but now that I set them high for anyone that reads this, I'm sure it's still okay, because they cook to impress. The setting is casual, and the food not "elegant", just delicious. This was probably the best vegetable burrito I have ever had.

Reviewed September 29, 2013

My wife and I stopped here again for drinks and dinner. For 37 years, the Arebalo Family has delighted palates with Mexican home-style & Tex-Mex cuisine. Mr. Arebalo brought the family recipes from San Antonio back in the 80's. We both started off with a "Gold Margarita". It was one of the best margaritas we have had in the Chicagoland area. They use top of the line tequila. Next we had chips and salsa. The chips were a bit soggy. The salsa was excellent. For dinner she ordered the Enchilada Picadillo, which she really enjoyed. I had the Fiesta Ranchero dinner that was very good as well. Good service. This is one of the better Mexican restaurants in this area. We also like Taco Del Norte on Rand Road, which is not quite the quality of El Barrio's food but is very good and more economical.

1  Thank WorldTravelers34