“Ask for Doreen”

Ranked #28 of 110 Restaurants in Mundelein
Cuisines: Chinese, Healthy, Soups
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Description: Warm, friendly, cozy restaurant & bar located on the SE corner of US 45 & IL 83. Established in 1975, serving graciously fine quality ingredients, cooked to order. All foods & soups are homemade fresh with 10 different soups to choose from daily. Famous for our Eggrolls, Mai Tais and Martinis. Dine In entrees include a complimentary cup of Soup du Jour or Tomato Juice. Carryout entrees include complimentary Fortune & Almond Cookie. Many regular customers are known by name.
Reviewed March 27, 2012

Doreen makes you feel like you've just come home for a fresh cooked meal or drinks.

Reviewed February 12, 2012

Where to start with our horrible experience. Well, we ordered an entree (which comes with NOTHING) and we had to add on the side for $5.00 (includes egg roll, small rice, and 1 crab rangoon) and we also had an order of spare ribs. We asked to have an additional $5.00 add on since we were splitting the entree and we both wanted an eggroll etc. When my husband go there to pick up the order, the owner informed him that we cannot have 2 $5.00 add ons as it is per entree, and since we only had one entree we would have to pay $10.00 for the other. $10.00 for an eggroll, 1 crab rangoon and small rice? No, I don't think so.

Aside from that it would have been nice if they boy answering the phone would have told us that to being with. We would have much rather paid the 5 bucks for a full chinese meal down the street. I was surprised that being new customers, she couldn't just give us the freaking eggroll and sides for the $5.00 anyway, what poor customer service. Not too mention that they forgot our spare ribs and we had to wait an additonal 20 minutes. Still, the owner offered nothing.

As for the food, blah! The eggroll was stuffed with peanut butter (Yen Yen in buffalo grove much better) I mean stuffed, stuck to the roof of your mouth, gross eggroll. The Happy Family was bland and the sauce was so watered down it was hardly brown anymore. The fried rice tasted burnt and dirty like the wok hadn't been cleaned since 1980. Ribs were okay, but not enough sauce. The only good thing about this place was the crab rangoon filling, but alas, we only got one of those because the owner is so cheap. Steer clear, there are much better places with more flavor for a cheaper price! WE WILL NEVER GO BACK!

Reviewed September 19, 2011

The best egg rolls I have ever had! The service is great, the food fresh with large portions. It is a bit pricey, bit worth it. They also have a killer Mai Tai, it takes a bit to make, but again well worth it.

Reviewed November 19, 2009

I ordered the wonton noodle soup with shrimp, chicken and pork. I got 2 shrimp, over abundance of ramen type noodles, very little chicken or pork. It was put in a styrofoam container inside of a plastic bag, so I ended up with a bag of broth.
The egg foo yung (2 patties) were small, and again, where are the shrimp? It came with fried rice .... tasteless.
Their on line menu states "-There is no refunds or exchange for dishes ordered and "It wasn't what I expected.." or " I really didn't like it...." or "I changed my mind..."
Too bad, because if I were in the establishment, instead of carry out, I would have sent it back. All of it. No wonder they make this statement!
Never again.

1  Thank Karen12359_9
Reviewed February 21, 2009

My family and I have been going to Royal cantonese for 15 years. We love the food so much that even though we moved out by Rockford IL 5 years ago my husband still picks it up occasionally when he leaves work in Libertyville. Even reheated after 2 hours in his car it is still 100 times better than fresh anywhere in Winnebago county. we particularly enjoy the sweet and sour chicken and the Chicken with hot garlic sauce. their Pork tenderlion chop suey is also very good.