“Used to be Better”

Got a photo?
Add it.
Pine Meadow Golf Club
More attraction details
Owner description: Great effort at this public course goes into maintaining its meticulous appearance and playing condition.
IL
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Used to be Better”
Reviewed August 4, 2012

Joe Jemsek opened this place (the old St. Mary of the Lake Seminary Course) and made it a beautiful place. Apparently a new, maybe Jemsek family member, has taken over management of this course and it not the same. The course is still in fairly good shape. But the attitude has gone downhill noticeably. Apparently this golf course, unlike other courses, makes so much money they don't have to be appreciative of the customers.

Visited August 2012
3 Thank jg112

Libertyville, Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Rude Head Golf Pro and Racial Discrimination”
Reviewed May 30, 2012

For any asians or non-americans beware of this club. I'm new to the area and thought i found a good practice facility. I started practicing at this club since last fall at least three times a week where I purchase balls for myself and kids which costs $22 for a jumbo basket. However today, i thought that I would go out and practice chipping and putting and notice a few balls left on the driving range and decided to hit them. Usually at most of the golf courses I've been too, they don't really mind people hitting a few balls that's left on the range, which I've seen many people do. The Head Golf pro , Dennis L. Johnsen, PGA and club manager , came out fuming and yelled at us that the we are no longer allowed at the course , the club house doesn't recall us buying balls and that in order for us to just chip, putt, or hit any balls at Pine Meadows we have to pay for the balls or get out. I said I was unaware of your policy, but you could of taken a different tone at us since we don't know your rules and policies. He came back and said that we should have known that you can't go to any course and practice chipping or putting without paying and that we are "thieves". That really pissed me off because I see a lot of people that comes to the course to just chip and putt and many people hit the few balls that's left on the green. I don't see a sign out in front of the club house that says that you are required to buy balls to just chip and putt anywhere nor were they enforcing this to every american that drives into the club. And this is a public course. I can't believe how prejudice these people are at Pine Meadows.

It's not worth the trouble, go somehwere else where the service is much better.

Visited May 2012
2 Thank K Y
Lake Bluff, Illinois
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“Joe Jemsek I rolling over in his grave”
Reviewed August 30, 2011

A once beautiful and well maintained public course has deteriorated so badly the men's bathroom smells like akin to a Tiajuana bus stop. Forget about manicuring anything and the greens should be called browns. A topographical relief map of the world rolls smoother and truer than the browns at this course. It's almost as if they are consciously trying not to spend any money. The staff was pleasant enough an my foursome was wonderful. Otherwise it was a big disappointment to return after many years away.

2 Thank Donald P
Arkansas
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“Great golf course”
Reviewed January 18, 2009

Played this course ten to fifteen times and I've never had a bad experience. The course prides itself on pace of play, so don't be surprised if the rangers push you a bit if you are slow. The course is very well-kept despite it being a public course that gets a good amount of play. Greens roll true and are pretty quick. This course is a breath of fresh air in the suburbs and one of only a few courses that seem to be left without houses lining the fairways and marring the views. I've played plenty of times when deer have run across the fairways, so wildlife is very present. The course is a fair test of your golfing skills. The only shot that seems nearly impossible is the tee shot on #14 from the back tees- water in front, water on the right, trees on the left- good luck! To me, the holes #13-15 are the real signature holes on the course and as good a stretch of golf holes as you'll find in the Chicagoland area. Price is a smidge under $100 on the weekends if I remember correctly, but what course isn't these days in the 'burbs?! One of the nicest courses in the area and I recommend it to anyone looking for a beautiful place to play in the suburbs.