“Would not recommend”
Review of Quality Inn

Quality Inn
Ranked #11 of 14 Hotels in Mount Vernon
Reviewed July 18, 2010

Musty, smelly rooms. Carpet was not even stretched tight on the floor in our room. Cigarette burn marks on dresser, tub and vanity even though it wasn't a smoking room. Noisy air conditioner that didn't efficiently cool our room. Nice water pressure but outdated bathroom. Back of nightstand was hanging on by one nail.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank KansasMomTopeka

Reviewed July 7, 2010

My fiance and I, with help from both of our fathers, just moved from Reno, NV to Charleston, WV and stopped at the Quality Inn on our way. I'd read some pretty poor reviews on tripadvisor, but it was the only hotel in Mount Vernon that had a suite available- we were looking for a room with three beds (even a sleeper sofa would have sufficed), but the price for this room was amazing, given its size. There was a king bed in its own bedroom with its own TV and AC unit, and two queen beds in the regular room, also with a TV and AC unit. The beds were very clean, sheets were nice, and there was even a very nice, updated comforter on all of the beds, not those dark, floral, ugly, old hotel comforters. The room was clean where it was necessary- the beds and the bathroom. The only downsides to this room were cosmetic things- the wallpaper was peeling in places, there was writing on the nightstands (likely from previous families w/ kids staying there), and the only really "gross" thing was that there was mold/mildew growing inside of the hot/cold water knob in the shower. Also, though, there are some hotels where I refuse to walk around barefoot and always travel with sandals, and this was one. I would not have felt very comfortable walking around barefoot, but for $90/night for the size of the room? Who cares! I survived. The sink is outside of the bathroom, which is nice when you're the only female traveling with men and they want to know why you're still in the bathroom/shower, but that meant the bathroom/shower was tiny, with very little space to set clean clothes, and very little space to change after showering.
There was lots of parking for our moving truck and our pickup truck towing a car trailer, and we could even park them right under our room and see them, which was a nice bonus. The free breakfast was fine, one waffle maker, and biscuits and gravy were the extent of the warm foods, but I enjoyed my waffle. We didn't get there in time to get any gravy. Other foods were typical free breakfast items- coffee, juice, pastries, and cereal.
I wouldn't plan an extended vacation around staying here, unless you're really looking to stay on a budget, but I would have no problem staying here again on another road trip (as there will be no more cross-country moves!). The room was clean where we needed it to be, and that's all you can really ask for!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed April 3, 2010

There are many other hotels at this exit for cheaper prices. I don't mind paying extra for quality but that was not the case here. The furniture is dated, the mattress uncomfortable and the non-smoking room, smokey. These things don't bother me except for the higher price of the accommodations. Save some money and stay at Motel 6 or Super 8, they can't be worse.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 11, 2010

I was terrified when I read the reviews of this place, but it could have been worse. It was cleaner than expected and the breakfast was fantastic-- just like the ones served in the more expensive Comfort Suites. I would *pay* for those awesome Belgian waffles. But you know what was missing? WATER!

The big difference came in the rooms themselves. There were no tissues in the room, the fridge didn't work and had an odd smell, and the coffeemaker dispensed only light-brown water. And-- yeah, one lone hair in the bed that I desperately hope came from either me or my husband. We were so exhausted from driving all day that it didn't really matter, but for a long-term stay, I'd have been miffed.

Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed October 12, 2009

We stayed overnight as we were traveling through Mt Vernon. The room was musty, smelly and generally in poor condition, was not kept up and in very poor condition.

They did have Internet and if was sufficient. The bedding was comfortable enough, their hot water was fine and the pressure was good.

There was no restaurants on site however there was a Ryan's nearby, don't go there either as it was greasy and generally nasty.

Even though it was just one night I felt nasty when I left and couldn't wait to get out of there.

Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed May 7, 2009

We stayed at this Quality Inn on a recent trip to Memphis, and if we had to do it again, we would probably stay at one of the other close-by neighboring hotels/motels, even though they would more than likely be more expensive. The cost attracted us----$64 including tax----but the room was dark, small, and not really attractive with a residual sort of smell that indicated to us that the room had at one time been a smoking room. The bathroom was adequate except for some ugly brownish/yellowish stain around the base of the toilet stool, which did not add to any kind of a good atmosphere. One positive is that it is very close to food at Applebee's, McDonald's, and Cracker Barrel, but the other hotels/motels there in the area are not far from them either.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 24, 2009

I planned ahead and made the reservation one week before our overnight stay. I carefully wrote down everything that was said including the confirmation number and the room (first floor, near the pool). I confirmed the reservation with a credit card and stated that we would be arriving late. I spoke to Liz.

The lady at the front desk greeted me cordially and told me that our room was on the fourth floor. I said, "On the fourth floor, I thought we were on the first floor and near the pool." She said, "No, there's nothing about it in the computer." I said, "Well, I made the reservation a week ago, and wrote it down. See..." She said, "I feel like you are calling me a liar." I said, "I'm not calling you a liar, I spoke to Liz. Is she here?" She said, "I'm Liz and I don't have any record of what you are claiming. How do I know you didn't just make that up and write it down?" I said, "Why would I do that? I haven't even looked at this paper since I made the reservation." She said, "Well, you're on the fourth floor." She was incredibly rude and nasty.

I just walked away and thought this is the last time that I stay at this hotel. The rooms were smoky (like a bar), and not very clean.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family