“Wreaks of smoke. Smoking employees do not respect no smoking policy”

Holiday Inn Mount Vernon
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Mount Vernon
Reviewed December 1, 2009

It would be nice if smokers would respect the policy of no smoking in the no smoking rooms. Still, smokers wreak of smoke and drag the stenchy vapors with them even if they do step outside to grab a choke. I find that if the staff are smokers they tend to scoff at enforcing smoking restrictions. Smokers shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a non smoking room. Outdated. More like a fancy trucker-tel

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family

Reviewed September 1, 2009

Several issues with this stay. I am a former Holiday Inn GSR, so I was particularly disappointed with this hotel, as I know the standards that Holiday Inn usually strives to live up to. First, I was given a non-smoking room on the 5th floor (I requested non-smoking). However, upon exiting the elevator, the entire floor smelled strongly of cigarette smoke. I am a former smoker, so I am not one of those people who complain if the place stinks a little bit... This was more than just a little bit. The room, itself, was not terribly smelly, so I did not complain. HOWEVER, I was traveling on business and required the "business" room with the desk and chair at which to work that evening and the following morning. Unfortunately, the lighting in the room was absolutely atrocious, making working at a desk therein nearly impossible (even with all the lamps on in the room). The only overhead lighting was at the entranceway and the bathroom. This is completely inadequate for anyone needing to work. To make matters worse, the chair was a typical office chair with adjustable height. However, the chair was set at its lowest height setting and could not be adjusted. This required sitting either on my leg or pillows to be at a height where working at the desk was feasible. For $105 for one night (after a state & city occupancy tax & a "city bed tax) in MT. VERNON (!!!), this room was completely sub-par. Worse yet? The black and red "beatle" running across the floor once all but one of the lights were off in the room. Next: The opening and allowing to "slam" the doors on the floor at just after 4am (I presume this was one the front desk worker delivering the paper & bills under the doors, as I heard no sign of anyone leaving guest rooms, and heard the paper, etc. being slid under the door shortly thereafter). (When I worked at a Holiday Inn & had to deliver similarly, we made sure NOT to let the doors slam even once early in the morning, let alone TWICE as I heard that morning). Next up: the food issue. Because I was working, I decided to order room service from the on-site/in hotel restaurant (Krieger's). I called, no answer. I called back 10 minutes or so later, they answered & I ordered a cajun chicken sandwich, which came with french fries ($8.99), and a side salad, which the menu indicated was an add-on of $2.50. There was a $1.50 delivery charge, and 18% gratuity automatically added for room service. When they showed up 30 minutes later, the bill was for over $19.00! I looked & it indicated they charged me $4.99 for a side salad (and, when I say SIDE salad - that's exactly what I mean - it was a SMALL side salad, certainly NOT worth $2.50 extra, let alone $4.99 extra!). So, I called, and they initially told me the $2.50 price was if I got the salad "instead of" the fries. I said, "no, that's incorrect." She put me through to her "manager" who stated that that price was only for "entrees" and "pastas" but not for sandwiches (despite the fact that the price indication for a side salad appeared in both columns on that page, and directly above the sandwich listings). She then put me through to her "manager" who stated that the menu was confusing and offered to delete the prior charge and re-ring the charge with the correct amount ($2.50, rather than $4.99). Also, during this time, I took the top off of my sandwich plate and discovered that the sandwich was there (a VERY charred chicken sandwich), but that the french fries were not. They offered to bring the new receipt with the french fries, which they did do. However, that receipt still showed a total charge of $18.44. Obviously, they did not take off the $2.49 they were suppose to take off and, instead, it appeared that they deleted approximately $1.00 from the bill. At this point, because I was working and preparing for a presentation I had the next morning, I did not have time to "deal" with this ineptitude any longer, and did not contact them again (this had wasted 20 minutes earlier!). Likewise, because of my presentation in the morning, I was unable to speak with a manager on site about the entire experience. BUT... This was absolutely the WORST experience at a Holiday Inn I have ever had, and I will NEVER stay at this particular hotel again. I am VERY displeased with the entire situation, and that I paid $124.78 for my room and overpriced, burned food is absolutely insane for Mt. Vernon, Illinois (which is a rural, small town that apparently Holiday Inn believes it can charge "city" prices in).

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed July 31, 2009

I would like to rate this "3.5", but this rating is not available, so I went with "4".
Positives first:
1) An employee came by the room to offer complementary items such as toothpaste, water, shaving cream, etc. Nice touch. I don't recall having that type of service before.
2) Room was clean and smelled nice
3) Location is right off interstate and close to plenty of fast-food and sit-down restaurants.
4) Better than some Holiday Inn's I've been to.
5) Buffet Breakfast was free. Not as good as some, but had scrambled eggs, buiscuits & gravy.
Negatives:
1) No fresh fruit at breakfast buffet.
2) Rooms smelled fine and were clean, but the hallway on 4th Floor smelled smoky.
3) Workout room had dysfunctional equipment. Treadmill worked ok, but the other equipment was broken.
Overall, I was comfortable, but nothing just spoke "fantastic" either. If you're looking to be impressed, this Holiday Inn will probably fail. On the other hand, you will probably leave not too disappointed.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed July 14, 2009

I stayed at the Holiday Inn in Mt. Vernon,, IL with a group of teenagers for my daughters birthday. The room was neat and clean, bed comfortable and was very spacious. Staff was friendly. I would recomend the hotel for all..

Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed June 28, 2009

The room was old and bathroom counter stained...the room was outdated. The hotel did nothing to go out of their way to provide great service. When I called to make reservations the front desk transferred me to the 1-800 number and they booked me into a king room...when I arrived the front desk told me they had booked me into an non-pet friendly room despite me telling them about 4 times I needed one. Ended up with a 2 bed room. The hotel was very noisy...there was a wedding and people where shouting and running down the halls past 2am with no help from the staff. The breakfast buffet was HORRIBLE! Basic cereal, biscuits and sausages. All other items where gone since we got there 45 min before it closed. The food was nothing special at all, but the wait staff was very nice and helpful. All-in-all for the price this place sucks! In general Holiday Inn seems to be going down hill....

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 22, 2009

We needed to be in southern Illiniois for the weekend. So with my having been a long time TA member, I went to TA to search for hotels. I thought the Holiday Inn would be best for us, based on the TA reviews. It wasn't. Why? There are about 15 hotels just around this intersection, possibly more. Competition is stiff. And now, looking more at all the TA reviews, I notice that many reviews were written by people who became TA members in the same month that they wrote their review. You decide about that. This Holiday Inn lobby does look fresh and new. The check in clerk told us that the building is actually 27 years old, that the hotel had been recently refurbished. But when we got out of the elevator, the age of the building struck us. Yes, it looked nice, and everything looked clean, but the smell of must in the hallway was overwhelming. The room was no better. We were both up half the night with nasal congestion, and by the morning, we both had headaches. Fresh air was what the room and hallways needed, but the windows in the room wouldn't open. Also, the included breakfast was of poor quality. The biscuits, juice and apples were ok. But the sausages were greasy, the scrambled eggs rubbery, and the cream gravy was like canned glue. We had originally planned to be there for both nights, but cancelled our second night's reservation. I booked the Fairfield Inn across the street... much better.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed March 12, 2009

While traveling to Florida we stopped here. Were very pleased with Holiday Inn and the city of Mount Vernon.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple