“nice stop for the night”

Holiday Inn Mount Vernon
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Mount Vernon
Reviewed August 5, 2014

after a long drive it was a nice place to stop. quiet, rooms were nice. They also offered continental breakfast, which is great. grab a bite to eat and then finish our drive. We needed 2 rooms and it worked out well.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Mount Vernon

Reviewed August 4, 2014

I stay at Holiday Inns often and I have stayed here before. This place has been OK in the past but too many issues this time. Stayed for one night on Friday night 3rd flr. The problems: Their credit card reader would not read my ATM card. Only time before or since that this has happened. WIFI was not working properly, off and on Internet connectivity despite strong signal. Ice machine on my floor did not have ice. AC unit did not work properly. Came on when it felt like it wanted to work regardless of temp in the room and did not seem to have all components working. Maybe it was just a bad night but not it was not the reasonably smooth experience that I was expecting.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Chap73
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Mount Vernon, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2014

Dear Chap73,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. Please allow us to apologize for the over-all experience you had and any inconvenience you may have encountered that did not live up to your expectations. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. Your review will be used to consider improvements needed and we hope that you can give us a chance to show what we have done.

Anthony M

Reviewed July 18, 2014

Just spent one night here passing through town on business, was a little leery booking it based on the reviews but I decided to check it out anyway.

This is a fairly large, older property, that was probably pretty sweet back in the day, when Jimmy Carter was in office. The exterior of the hotel has been recently remolded and looks very nice, certainly nicer than the interior, kind of wish they had renovated the room first though.

I was checked into the hotel by a nice guy who immediately acknowledged my IHG Platinum status and gave me a room upgrade. It looked like he was attempting to train another fellow who was at the front desk with him, showing them how to handle platinum members at check in, but he wasn't really paying attention, he was too busy chatting with the 3 o'clock replacements.

My room was a mini king suite which was anything but 'mini' in fact it was downright HUGE. It had a living room, bedroom and (2) bathrooms. The rooms were pretty dated, maybe 1990's decor but everything was in good condition. Cleanliness was a little spotty, not too bad, but one of the bathroom had quite a bit of hair around the sink area that was missed.

I had 2 Sony LCD TV's that had great pictures and tons of HD channels but the TV's were actually a tad small for the size of the rooms, it really need at least a 40" TV.

Beds/mattresses were comfortable and newer (2012) and were Serta Emerald Suite, which is a firmer mattress but not overly firm, it's actually a high quality mattress.

The only thing spottier than the cleanliness was the WiFI, speed tests showed less than 2Mbps download speeds and the connection wasn't very stable. They did have wired Ethernet connections in the room but mine did not work. Holiday Inn caters to a lot of business travelers so I really expected a better Internet connection, it was marginal but could use improvement for sure.

Hotel has a huge parking lot, plenty of room for a semi, RV, towing a boat, etc.

All in all I thought the hotel was OK, it was not nearly as bad as the reviews led me to believe. I think after the room renovation is complete it will be a pretty solid hotel. Also,
it's nice that at least one person there seemed to value Priority Club/IHG Elite members, granted the others I encountered at the front desk didn't want to be there but I guess good help is hard to find these days in Mount Vernon.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank AlCzervik1
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Mount Vernon, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2014

Dear AlCzervik1,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your thoughts and comments regarding your stay with us. We always strive to provide world class accommodations and services to our guests. It was unfortunate to see your stay was not as comfortable as it could have been. Rest assured that your comments will be reviewed by our team and take actions accordingly. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

We appreciate your feedback and your patronage as our IHG Rewards Club Platinum Member.

Karen C

Reviewed June 22, 2014 via mobile

The lobby wasn't bad and the young woman that checked us in was polite and friendly. Also, the breakfast was better than some I've had and there are several dinner options nearby the hotel. However, the compliments end there!
Here begins the issues - the tile floor outside the elevator was wet from people leaving the hotel pool. It appears that they leave a wet floor yellow caution sign up in front of the elevators. My guess is the wet floors are due to a large sign posted near the pool exit requesting guests to leave all hotel pool towels in the pool area. Obviously the wet floor issue could be resolved if guests could bring a towel up to their room instead of dripping on the floor along the way.
Our second issue was that the 2nd floor hallway reeks of cigarette smoke. We had a non smoking room and the odor didn't drift into our room, but the smell was sooooo strong all throughout the hallway.
Now for the room.....it is in dire need of remodeling - especially the bathroom. There were hairs in the dirt-stained bathtub, housekeeping left us with no wash cloths or tissues, and the fixtures were all chipped and in various states of decay. Also, the door was chipped, severely scuffed, and slightly warped in places. There were 2 double beds when there was more than enough room for 2 queens. The carpeting was worn and stained in many places. Overall, the room just has a feel of neglect to it.
One added note - I noticed many people commented about the noise from the highway....we were very fortunate that our room didn't face the highway, however we did face a wall and rooftop with dirt and rusty pipes which was part of the hotel building that jutted out. Not the nicest view, but guess we were lucky to not have to deal with the noise from the interstate.
My husband suggested I title this review "Don't stop, keep on driving", which I have to agree with. I would not recommend staying here unless they remodel it.

Stayed: June 2014
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Mount Vernon, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2014

Dear Phillitravels,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I am glad to know that you found our staff polite and friendly.

Please accept our sincerest apologies you were not satisfied with the condition of our hotel facilities and for any inconvenience you may have encountered. I would love the opportunity to regain your faith and would welcome the opportunity to discuss your visit in further details. We have sent you a private message to obtain additional details regarding your stay.

Thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing back from you very soon.

John O

Reviewed June 22, 2014 via mobile

Rated as a 3 star hotel, anything but. Shower I'm room not working, took 2 calls to get someone to get it to work but had to shower then or not at all. Breakfast poor. Tables cleaned of dishes but not wiped. Spiders in room. Common areas show a lot of ware. Front desk person was very nice when we checked in. Many dogs in and out, so if looking for pet friendly this place may be for you

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Michael C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Mount Vernon, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2014

Dear Julie M,
Thank you for your feedback. I apologize for the dissatisfaction you experienced while you were a guest at our hotel. I will forward your comments to the appropriate departments so to correct these issues.

Michael Carbonaro

Reviewed June 13, 2014

We stayed on our way to North Carolina. We were nervous when we arrived because the parking lot was packed. The hotel wasn't actually that full but there was a wedding reception on the other side of the facility. Our room was very nice with queen sized beds, a microwave and fridge -with a freezer compartment - a nice surprise. There was a nice area to walk our dog and the area was nice to talk a longer walk about. And we all slept well. The only problem we encountered was not enough outlet to charge electronics.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank JanetOPKS
Michael C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Mount Vernon, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2014

Dear JanetOPKS,
Thank you for your comments. I am very happy we could accommodate you. Hope to see you again in the future.
Michael Carbonaro
GM

Reviewed May 24, 2014

This is not a Holiday Inn Express but a Holiday Inn. Its right off the freeway. When you walk into the lobby its a WOW factor. Its huge and gorgeous. They had just renovated and were still working on the outside. The rooms are nice. They could have more outlets for electronics. I used the 2 in the room and my husband used the 2 in the bathroom. The beds were ok. I walked into the bathroom and there was 3 long black hairs in the sink and a couple on the counter. Kind of disgusting. Had supper at Kriegers Sports bar that is hooked on to the motel. I was hoping after reading all the bad reviews on the breakfast it would have gotten better but it hasn't.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Michael C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Mount Vernon, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2014

Dear disappointed,
Thank you for your feedback. I apologize for your disappointment. I will be forwarding your comments along to my housekeeping staff and food and beverage company that runs our breakfast area so they know where improvement is needed.