“Nice Lodging - Good Value”

Holiday Inn Mount Vernon
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Mount Vernon
Vernon Hills, Illinois
“Nice Lodging - Good Value”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

A very nice property and a great value. We travel quite a bit and have stayed in every level of lodging from two through four stars. Large, bright lobby and multi-function area. Our room was clean, comfortably and nicely decorated. Our only complaint had to do with the free breakfast. It would be nice if there was "hot water" available for tea and oatmeal. As for the cold cereal choidces, it was all "kid" cereals. Include a few more choices for adults like bran flakes, oats, etc. Also, the young woman taking care of the breakfast area looked and sounded unhappy. She might have been having a bad day personally - so you need to give people the benefit of the doubt. Yes, we realize the breakfast is free, but other lodgings (including Holiday Inn Express) do a better job of food items. Still, the breakfast area was large nd bright. We'd return.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Williamsburg, KY
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Everything is old. Like stepping back in time 30years. Huge, old hotel. Check in took longer than normal, seemed to use antiquated system and as platinum with aaa member, I was quoted 96 but overheard someone else offered 79 while I was checking in even though I asked for lowest available rate. Furniture in rooms at least 20 years old, and although they added flat TV, it looks awkward with using same stand for usual tv before. Areas especially elevator smelled overly smoky. Breakfast was sad, and previous reviewers are right that they just don't keep food replenished and you either wait or give up. Not even bagels. Just worn down, and fits more w quality inn brand. I'll stay at Hampton across street next time. Definetly poor compared to what is expected and normal for holiday inn. This is exactly the type of hotel brand is trying to get rid of with major investment in holiday inn brand, now that holiday inn express is successfull.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank debatecoach
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Mount Vernon, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Dear debatecoach,

Thank you for your feedback. Guest satisfaction is very important to us. I would like to apologize for the problems that you experienced during your stay with us especially with the level of service received during check in, food served as well as the condition of the property which was less than satisfactory. I appreciate the feedback that we receive as this is crucial for us to improve the products & services that we offer. Rest assured that your comments have been documented and will certainly be looked into.

We value you as our Priority Club Rewards Member and while we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare
Chicago
Reviewed March 18, 2013

The rooms were very nice and clean. Hotel lobby very nice. Pool and jacuzzi area were nice except they don't seem to enforce the adults only in the jacuzzi. We ate at the sports bar and the food was sreally good. My boyfriend had ribs and I had pulled pork. Perfectly done baked potato and good selection of beer at the bar. Front desk staff were helpful and check in was very quick. Probably the quickest of any hotel I've stayed before. The only complaint I have is with the breakfast option. I paid extra for two breakfasts when I booked the room. I asked the front desk what that breakfast entailed and they didn't seem to know anything until I kept explaining I paid extra for two breakfasts and then they suddenly gave me a paper for $20 worth of breakfast that you can order off the menu. The waitress was the worst server I have had in all my life. She didn't seem to know anything about the menu and when we asked what she thought was good, she said, nothing, I am so sick of this menu. I couldn't believe it. We ordered a breakfast burrito and a waffle and both were really good. You can also eat items off the continental breakfast which is provided for free. The waitress brought out the food and said nothing and did not bring us silverware or napkins. I actually had to go to the continental breakfast line and get silverware and the they were out of napkins. This girl should not be in the serving business.

One thing I would like to note but didn't matter much was that I reserved a pet friendly room with a king sized bed with a mini fridge (the email noted this). When we arrived they said there are not pet friendly rooms with king sized beds only 2 queen beds, and we had no mini fridge. Also reservationist said the breakfast option I purchased was for a full buffet, which is not the case. Possibly national reservationist should know this before sending confirmation via email.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ang3369
Burlington, IA
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We usually stay at a competing hotel chain, but found that it was completely booked the night we were passing through Mt. Vernon. We had been traveling for several days and were exhausted, so saw this Holiday Inn and decided to check it out. My husband went in to see one of the rooms and came back to the car and suggested we stay. Wow! What a pleasant surprise!!! Our room was spacious, clean, well appointed, had a comfy mattress, and was reasonably priced!!! Plus, there was a quaint restaurant attached to the facility so we did not have to go out in the cold to have dinner. Food was good and service friendly. We have made a note in our travel journal to stay here next year!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Illinois
Reviewed February 28, 2013

I recently spent one night at this hotel as part of a conference I was attending. Even though the building is a bit older, it was very clean, the rooms clean and quiet and the bed was comfortable, giving me a restful night. I would definitely spend the night there again!

Room Tip: There is currently tons of construction in I-57 adjacent to the hotel, so plan your exit strategy ea...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Hampton, South Carolina
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I really enjoyed staying at the Holiday Inn at Mt. Vernon. The lobby was beautifully furnished. Included was a double sided fireplace. It also had a piano that I am sure someone played during certain hours.The breakfast area was spacious and had plenty of food to choose from. The breakfast was included with the room. My room had a king size bed that was very comfortable. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed January 15, 2013

This hotel is right off the highway and geared towards the driving traveler. The exit includes restaurants, gas, and a number of other hotels all in close proximity to the Holiday Inn. This allows for competitive pricing for what is likely to be a short stay.

Like other reviewers, we were on a cross country drive. We checked in at 1:30 am and staff on duty. Room (2 double beds) was adequate for a rest before continuing to drive the next morning. Breakfast was hot and complementary.

Minor negatives include the hotel is dated and the double beds small. The main negative was that the exterior doors were unlocked throughout the night and had no key card entry to secure them. We were able to enter from an exterior door that was out of sight from the front desk. Although no rooms on the first floor (I think) this still made me feel uneasy and unsafe.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank tfishcole
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Mount Vernon, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Dear tfishcole,

However, We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding the bed size. We will look into this point. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to ensure complete guest satisfaction. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.