“Skip this one..........”

Holiday Inn Mount Vernon
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Mount Vernon
Reviewed July 12, 2012

We stayed at this hotel during a trip to the NC shore. Picking out a hotel on a website can occasionally be problematic, and this was one place we will not return to. The property was not very clean, the elevator smelled of urine, the room was on the shabby side with a very lumpy bed, and the bathroom had been stripped of everything except for a minimum number of towels. When I asked for shampoo, soap, and coffee supplies and cups, I was told they were out of them at this time. Not a good sign. The staff were nice enough, just did not have much to work with. We will not be back.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Mount Vernon, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2012

Dear hayes522,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us such a detailed review. We are very disappointed to hear about your experience on your recent stay. We just want to assure you that our Hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product. We apologize that we fell below your expectations on this particular day.

We hope you decide to give us another chance for a future stay.

Jaime W

Reviewed July 12, 2012

Stayed here for one night while on business and this was a very enjoyable stay. This is an excellent find and at an excellent price. The pool is great. The room was great. The staff was great. The breakfast was great. The bedding was great.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed July 7, 2012

Overall ok, but Wi-Fi did NOT work and they did not care. I wished they had a fridge in room and that the Wi-Fi worked. I mentioned it to them in eve and in the morning. I chose because of Wi-Fi. Elevator had urine smell I think because of dogs. Positives--- Pool was nice. Attached sports bar was also a positive where kids eat free.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed July 2, 2012

We stopped on a road trip, so didn't use a lot of the amenities, but the price was reasonable, the place seemed very safe, and they offered room service. The breakfast offered in the morning was the best I've seen in this hotel class. There is a bar/restaurant in the hotel, and it provides hot, fresh food for the breakfast. Scrambled eggs, sausage, ham, mini muffins, assortment of drinks. We had a great experience!

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed June 26, 2012

After a full day drive and quite tired, check-in was pleasantly uneventful. The roomcard keys worked the first time. Room 323 and bathroom were clean. A few tiny spiders left the impression the room hadn't been used in a while. They were not bothersome and they waved goodbye as I flushed them down the commode. The in-house pub was kid-friendly, food acceptable, and I wasn't about to drive another inch to find another eatery, anyway. Hotel was quiet, even though just off I-57 in a cluster of hotels and eateries typical of a busy interstate junction. I'd stay here again.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 12, 2012

I stayed here on a Hotwire deal. I paid $92 and that was about $20 off the hotel published rate. The property was listed as a 3 star so I felt the $92 was a fair price. Check in was nice and smooth and found the front desk clerk to be kind. I was a little surprised at the room. It seemed outdated and had a few stains on the floor and walls. Not much desk room for laptops and the wi-fi was rather weak in my location. Over the course of the evening I noticed the room was not cooling off. I brought it to the attention of the front desk clerk on my way out for dinner. She offered to change my room but was having problems with the system. The manager came over to assist and looked puzzled. He asked if I booked through a 3rd party. I told him I booked through Hotwire. He apologized and said he cant give me a new room because "that is the room I paid for". I was a bit shocked as I was not looking for another room, just asking if someone could look at the A/C. The clerk said she would send someone. Later in the evening the room was still warm so I called the front desk. I was told by another clerk that the unit I'm in has had problems and that she would send someone to take me to a new room. I was taken a few doors down to another room. The A/C worked fine in that room. The following morning I had the breakfast buffet. It was ok. The entire experience felt more like a 1 to 2 star motel. For the money, I think I would book at the marriott property across the street next time. If the price per night at this location would be more in line with a 1 or 2 star, this would be a decent value.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank ludicrous_speed
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Mount Vernon, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2012

Dear ludicrous_speed,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review regarding our hotel. I'm so glad you liked the friendliness of our staff. We work very hard to be the best Holiday Inn around that provides world class excellence. I'm deeply sorry for the room accommodations you received that fell below your expectations. Your comments are very helpful as this is our best resource to determine the areas that needs to be improved. Thank you for staying with us and we hope you would give us a chance to show you how great our hotel is.

Anthony M

Reviewed May 21, 2012

Check-in, cleanliness, sleeping, etc., was fine; ability to work in the room was sub-standard because of the desk chair. I'm 5'11'' tall, but because the chair hydraulic lift would not go up far enough, table was about mid-chest level--this is not a good position for working on laptop. The person on duty (about 9 p.m.) was cold to my request for a different chair. 30 minutes later, I called again and asked if another chair was still possible and indicated I would like to switch rooms if not--she sent someone up! He was VERY helpful. The other chair had same problem, too short, but he brought several blankets so make it higher. It appears this hotel is best suited for people at least 7-feet tall until they replace all the desk chairs.

Room Tip: This hotel is fine if you do not need to use the desk.