“decent stay”

Holiday Inn Mount Vernon
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Mount Vernon
Reviewed June 19, 2011

The best part about this hotel is location. The worst is the musty smell that hits you as soon as you walk in. It leaves a bad impression right away. We were just there overnight and did not spend much time in the hotel so I can't comment on the other amenities. Beds were comfortable and rooms were clean. A bit of an issue with the toilet almost overflowing but that is something they wouldn't know about unless it was reported to someone, which I did upon checkout. I would have no problem staying there again.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed April 30, 2011

I stayed overnight at this hotel. I have stayed at many Holiday Inn Express facilities and always had a positive experience until now. This hotel is musty smelling, the carpet in the room was dirty, the mattress was by far the worse I've ever slept in...you could feel the springs. The hotel has free high speed internet but the connection was poor from all locations. The best part of the stay were all the mouse traps in the hotel.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank GF13
Reviewed April 7, 2011

Upon arriving to my room there were six mouse traps. Went down to ask about this and they said there was no problem. Asked to switch rooms which was a problem according to them. This hotel is terrible :(. Wouldn't reccommend.

• Stayed: April 2011
1  Thank Moe6831
Reviewed March 16, 2011

I traveled to Mt. Vernon for business and stayed at this Holiday Inn for four nights. The room was clean but needed some updates in the bathroom. The free breakfast was one of the worst I have experienced but I feel bad about complaining about something that is free. Staff were friendly and the wake up call worked (which is important to me!). There are plenty of restaurants near by and some shopping. And if you like greasy bar food the restaurant on site is fine.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank mcnewt0n
Reviewed March 5, 2011

I booked a room over the pool (so I expected noise) for a weekend visit. I was a bit disappointed to see rodent traps in the rooms and stairwell, but at least they are being proactive in getting rid of mice and rats. (OK - I am very scared of mice, and just seeing the trap boxes made it hard for me to fall asleep).
This is a convention/event hotel, so I was staying during a time when there was a major fight scheduled for viewing. The bar was crowded, but the servers were fantastic in keeping those of us waiting on food, occupied and entertained. There were well over 500 people there for the fight, and many were drunk, but not obnoxious. The next morning, there were empty cups all over the hallway floor in front of the elevator. I had a minor issue with being overcharged on my bill, but after speaking with management via telephone the next day, it was quickly resolved with a sincere apology. I found this to be totally acceptable. I decided to return to this property later on this month when I take my family and 25 pound spaniel mix out of town for a week.
This is a large hotel that has renovated the property. There is a restaurant, bar, indoor pool, teller machine, Internet connection, flat screen TV, fireplace in the lobby and room service. It is also near many other restaurants, stores, gas stations. The two hospitals are a few miles down the road. When the sliding glass doors are closed in your room (overlooking the pool), you cannot hear noise from the area, which is very nice. The rooms are still a bit dated and the bathrooms could use a little sprucing up, but they are clean. The heating system in the room took well over 5 hours to get to the temperature I desired and it was loud. I did not call the front desk because I was too tired to move to another room. They allow dogs for an extra $20.00, no matter how long your stay. I had no problem with this, as I only saw one dog the entire weekend. If there would have been more pets, it would not have bothered me since I love dogs.
If I were given a choice to have a free nights stay at this property or to pay $104 at another property across the street that I always stay at, I would actually have to think about it. I really do believe I would stay at the other property but if I were traveling on a budget and had the same option, I would stay here, but I would not be as comfortable as I am when I stay at their competitor's property.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed December 6, 2010

I stayed at this Holiday Inn a few years ago, and was disappointed but decided to try it again after a dissappointing stay at the Fairfield across the street. The room was very nice and large, price was good at $81.99 per night for a king. Room was clean, hotel was quiet. Everything worked. Staff were very nice. I never sleep well with those heaters cycling at night so I turned it off. It wasn't loud or anything. Even though the outside temp was in the low 30s I was comfortable with only having the heat on when I was awake. My room was in the wing and I could hear some traffic noise around 6:00 am. I am early riser so this was not a problem for me. I would have to say the only thing that I did not like was the breakfast. It is a continental for sure and the same everyday. I was there for 4 nights so by the last day I was tired of it. You do have the option of ordering off a menu for a more custom breakfast at your expense. There is also a restaurant on site but I never had the opportunity to try it. I used the business center everyday and found that very convienent.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed December 2, 2010

We recently stayed in this facility and also one year ago. Don't let the age of the building fool you. This is completely renovated and very tastefully decorated. The rooms are beautiful and with a lot of floor space. The beds are pillow top mattresses, which were very comfortable.
The description of the amenities does not include the fact that a FREE HOT BREAKFAST is included. There are also restaurants available in the hotel if needed. We stayed in a room that over looked the lobby/ breakfast area, a little noisy in the morning and blinds did not darken the room enough. One draw back for some people may be that there is NOT a microwave or refrigerator in the room.
Will certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family