“Slummy”

Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Mount Vernon
Vero Beach, Florida
“Slummy”
Reviewed June 11, 2014 via mobile

Non smoking room---smoke odor filled. Hair on shower walls, dried soap droplets on shower curtain, washcloth from previous tenant hanging from shower curtain. Motel 6 corporate needs to investigate!!! I have very bad impression of this place!

• Stayed June 2014
atheneonm6, Manager at Motel 6 Mount Vernon, responded to this review, June 13, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Motel 6 - Mount Vernon, IL #4658. Your feedback is very important to us.
At Motel 6, we strive to provide a superior guest experience, and I am sorry yours did not meet expectations.
Rest assured appropriate measures are being taken to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.
We appreciate your sharing your concerns and hope you will give us an opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Joliet, Illinois
Reviewed May 22, 2014

The hotel that my boyfriend and I stayed at in Mount Vernon IL was not a very good experience. To start off the manager was rude when we used Booking.com. The manger also had food hanging out of the side of her mouth. She was very rude and had her staff show us a dirty room with floaters in the toilet and had a big stain on the bed. They had tried to say that this room was our room after cleaning with a queen size bed when we reserved a king size bed and room. After going back to the manager they showed us a clean room with a king size bed, but the rudeness did not stop. On our second night housekeeping told us that if we wanted shampoo to come down to the front desk to get it our self. When leaving after the first night for breakfast and shopping we let housekeeping know that we will be gone for a while. We got back around 2:00pm and there was no soap no towels no shampoo. We had called the front desk and was told we would get our towels when they were done washing them about 3:00pm. Worst place we had every stayed in. The price for the room was too high.

Room Tip: We would advise any one going to Motel 6 check the room before checking in. It was a very discusstin...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
atheneonm6, General Manager at Motel 6 Mount Vernon, responded to this review, May 25, 2014
Dear Lisa S

Sam Patel
Motel 6 #4658

Travelers are raving about these Mount Vernon hotels

Reviewed October 1, 2013 via mobile

For the money, this is a nice place to stay. We come every year to visit family & stay here for 10 days. Our room was clean & smelled fine. The carpet was clean. When asked by a manager how our room was, my partner told her about a cigarette hole in our blanket. She brought us a new blanket & put it on our bed. That was very thoughtful. I've traveled a lot in my life & have stayed at top hotels around the world, & for Mt. Vernon, & for the price... as long as the rooms are clean... Motel 6 is the place for me when we come to visit family. Thanks to that wonderful lady manager & for the hug goodbye when we checked out.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Brian H
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed September 24, 2013

We stayed here the night of September 22nd. The prices advertised on line were $33 per night. I arrived around 8 and they charged a whopping $66 with no explanation to the increase in price. The WIFI that was advertised didn't work the entire time, and the bathroom was filthy. I didn't even take a shower the next morning. The refrigerator didn't work and the "king sized bed" was maybe a full, if that.

Next time I'll take my money and stay elsewhere. I also got no apology from the manager when I checked out the next morning, and he immediately started making excuses.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank nurseingr
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Checked in late and had no where else to go! Stinky, filthy, beds sagging. Mildew all over the place. Hair in the bed so had to sleep on the top. ugh - just horrible. My feet stuck to the carpet in a couple places and had to sterilize them and wear shoes the whole time. The AC wouldn't work well and smelled like a skunk when it did work - not kidding here, so in Septembers heat we had to try and sleep with no air circulation. There were a lot of people milling about outside which made us very nervous, since the poor lock on the door looked like you could bump it and it would break. Never again at a motel 6 - will sleep in the car first.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank cindy s
Wisconsin
Reviewed February 25, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at this Motel 6 in Mount Vernon, IL and were *exceedingly* disappointed. Of course, we choose this hotel because it had the cheapest price and we don’t have a lot of money. This is certainly one instance where you get what you pay for. We will NEVER be staying at a Motel 6 again. Let me explain.

When we checked in, we were greeted by a young woman who had a lukewarm personality at best, but hey, that’s not a deal breaker. We make our way to the room and begin getting unloaded. When we open the door (which, by the way, “must be pulled up on” rather than down like a normal door), the first thing I notice is the smoke alarm hanging out of the wall with bare, unconnected wires handing down. I turn around to notice the plaster coming off the wall above the door. Impressive. I sigh and continue to get settled in. Evening comes and it’s time for a bath. Great, the bath doesn’t look like it had actually been cleaned…and there is no way to plug the drain for a bath. Shower only (which is ok, because I wouldn’t want to have a bath in that tub anyway). We get all settled in and head to bed.

At 1:00 in the morning, we were suddenly awoken by what sounded like a troop of people and a pack of wolves. It turned out to be one elderly woman and her dog(s), but honestly, I’m not sure how that pair could have made as much racket as they did- banging into walls, loud cursing, doors slamming, dogs barking, etc. I called down to the front desk to let them know about my complaint and was told the woman was just checking in and that he would ask her to please quiet down.

A half hour later, when there was still far too much noise to ever dream of sleeping, I called again. The front desk clerk suggested that we could switch rooms. I replied that at 1:30 on a winter morning, I wasn’t interested in packing up our belongings and making our way to another room, but that I would really like to be sleeping. The last straw was when we were told she would be leaving early (out by 6:00 am). My husband and I imagined the same noisy scenario being duplicated in just a few hours time.

By 2:00 am (when the noise *still* hadn’t calmed down) we finally agreed to switch rooms and were told there would be a manager on duty in the morning to sort out our complaint. In our drowsy, and quite angry, state we made our way to the second floor and to a different room. The good news was that it was quieter, most of the plaster was holding on the walls, and the smoke alarm was at least attached to the wall. However, there were crumbles of soap all over the bathroom floor that made one wonder if it had actually been cleaned after the last guests and the tub was still questionable. The rest of the place was mostly clean. (But let’s be honest, “mostly clean” isn’t exactly what you want in a hotel room.)

We got a decent night’s sleep in the second room and requested a 12:00 check out instead of the standard 11:00 am due to our rude awakening in the middle of the night. By the time we were rested from the evening’s fiasco and woke up, all the coffee (the only “breakfast” they offered) had been packed up and put away. Since they didn’t offer an in-room coffee maker, I went down to the front desk and kindly requested some hot water so I could at least make some tea that I had with me.

We packed up (for the second time that day) and made our way to the front desk to check out. I expressed in a polite manner the frustrations we had with the evening. She new desk clerk was kind, said we certainly weren’t the only ones to complain about the woman, but said there was nothing she could do. At this point, I mentioned that at 2:00 am we had been told that there would be a manager on duty who would be authorized to compensate us for our terrible stay. She said that we had *just* missed him and asked for our name and number so he could call back the next day. Ok.

A week later, we are back home and still haven’t heard from the manager (who was in fact the owner, Sam). I called back to explain our situation from a week ago and asked if Sam was in. The woman on the other end says, “Oh, that evening with the dog. I’m sorry, you *just* missed Sam. Can I have your phone number so he can call you back?” Of course. So I give my name and number again. Guess what? Still no call back. I called back again and was told that Sam would return my call “If he deemed it important.” Apparently customer satisfaction is not important to Motel 6.

Motel 6 may “leave the light on for you” …or anybody else who doesn’t have the common decency to make a discreet entrance when they check in at an un-Godly time of night, but by all means, don’t expect a good night’s sleep or any compensation for a terrible experience.

In all honesty, that evening was the worst hotel stay I had ever experienced…and I’ve done a fair amount of traveling. My husband and I will never, I repeat NEVER, stay at another Motel 6. We will drive the extra half hour or pay the extra $20 to avoid stepping foot inside a Motel 6.

Room Tip: NEVER stay here.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Erin12324
West Union, Iowa
Reviewed January 16, 2013

We got in late on our way to Florida on our family vacation. We had two rooms building is in need of maintenence. Good price for just sleeping rooms were very basic. The first room my wife and I stayed in the tv did not work. We had to move to another room at 11:00p.m. at night.
The desk clerk waqs good about it but not really wanting to move to another room at 11:00p.m. after driving 7 hours. Rooms were fairly clean.

Room Tip: Higher floors are quietier than basement rooms
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family