“Slightly disappointed”
Review of Comfort Suites

Comfort Suites
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Mount Vernon
Reviewed September 30, 2012

After all the glowing reviews for this property I was disappointed with what we received for what I consider a high $ amt. This was our 21st night of a classic road trip to Yellowstone and was our last. I was planning that it would be a great closing event. It was OK but not stellar. First, the king suite was much smaller than the suite we had at a different chain the night before in Kansas. It was also $50 more per night with the pet fee. The bed was so close to the back wall and the AC that it was difficult to navigate around it in the dark. Also only one side of the bed had a lamp and a nightstand which made it inconvenient for both of us to read to unwind. We were happy to be placed on the top floor and thought that would be quiet, however the sound proofing is non existent and we could hear the people in the room below ours. Finally when I stepped into the shower in the morning there was as old stain on the shower liner that appeared to be blood.
On the postive side the desk staff were very nice, check in and out was effortless and the breakfast was very good with a wide variety to choose from. The hotel was full that night and they still kept up with the food. Would I stay there again? Probably if I could find a discount coupon or book with points but not for $154 again with the AAA discount

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 25, 2012

Liked all about this hotel, nothing bad, Comfort Suites always a good deal, decent place. Room had small sofa and table, fridge, etc. Place seemed to be pretty new. It almost filled up on a weekday, so call ahead.

Room Tip: not too far from highway, but was in front, didn't hear anything
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
mtvernongm, General Manager at Comfort Suites, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2012

We thank you for taking the time to review your experience at our hotel. We thank you for your positive feedback. Our goal is your complete satisfaction. We pride ourself on cleanliness and friendliness. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed September 13, 2012 via mobile

My last review of his hotel is more than a year ago, and thanks to a very bad, seemingly erroneous review, I felt compelled to write again.

I stay in Comfort Suites almost exclusively when I travel. By far, I stay in this one the most. My husband and I stay a minimum of two nights a week. The staff know us and take exceptionally good care of us. I am heartened when I read other reviews, to see we are not the only guests that have been treated this well by staff. I have seen some variance in everything -- food, staff and cleanliness -- but I have NEVER seen evidence of any type of bugs or rodents. NEVER! Mind you, we have stayed in nearly every room - we kept track, we are nerds -- since it's opening. I did get one room ONCE in over 200 stays that wasn't up to their standards. In an off handed way, my husband mentioned it to staff -- they comped the room. They wouldn't have had to - it was adequate- but they did and it was an extremely classy thing to do. They have begun to replace all the carpets and some of the furniture. It has made a big difference. it's just kept the place on top.

Kerry the manager is great, and I have seen many fine employees over the years: Toshia, David, Lela, Debbie and Dee. Because we stay so often, I feel this hotel is an extension of our home. In some hotels, I get the heebie jeebies, as it just doesn't feel clean. This hotel always feels clean to me and they welcome us warmly when they arrive, no matter how busy they are.

A few words to the wise: third floor is most quiet. They aren't all pet rooms. The hot tub rarely works which is probably my only complaint. We enjoy the pool. They have many long term guests which is a testament to their quality and hospitality. They are almost always full, so call early. Even I have missed getting a room...once. I always keep my reservations a few weeks ahead now. Bring your own snacks - they are limited and expensive. But apples are always out. Sausage is served at breakfast on Monday and Wednesday, my husband's favorite. I can't comment on the manager's reception - despite all our stays, we've only been to two. We just arrive too late from work. When you check in, tell them Melissa and Jim highly recommended you to come - they'll know who we are :)

• Stayed: September 2012
mtvernongm, General Manager at Comfort Suites, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2012

I just want to thank you for sharing your hotel experience with everyone. Your loyal repeat business is not taken for granted. We cant thank you enough but we will try. We hope to see you back soon.

Reviewed August 19, 2012

Let me begin by saying that I was bringing an ill relative from an assisted living facility in Council Bluffs, Iowa to a like facility in Huntsville, Alabama. He required oxygen therapy during the entire trip and was stressed by the long hours in the car. When I reached Mt. Vernon, a competitor hotel recommended Comfort Suites as the best location of our needs. What a wonderful break for us.

From check-in to check-out, the staff was considerate and understanding of our situation and needs. They went to considerable length to assure our "comfort" and well being. Hannah, Dee and Debbie were professional, helpful and showed genuine concern for our relative. These three ladies are great representatives for the Comfort Suites chain of hotels and especially the Mt. Vernon Comfort Suites.

Thank you so much Hannah, Dee and Debbie. Sorry I looked so rough when getting breakfast to carry to the room.

J. Arbona

Room Tip: Going to Mt. Vernon, IL, choose Comfort Suites and the staff will do everything possible to assure y...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank James A

I want to personally thank you for your kind comments in relation to your stay with us. We strive to be the friendliest and cleanest hotel in the Mount Vernon area. I will personally recognize the employees you mentioned that helped make your experience a very positive one. We hope to see you again if you are ever in our area. Thank you very much for staying with us.

Reviewed August 15, 2012

We stopped here for one night on our way from louisville to branson. On the whole the hotel is okay. The room seemed ok, clean and not too noisey. Breakfast was okay. A recent guest suggested that the rooms appeared to have new carpets and had been updated. I cant remember seeing any evidence of that. However didnt see any rat poop or bug bites either! It's an ok hotel for a short stop in at best average area.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 10, 2012

A group of us stayed here and it will be our last! We stayed in separate rooms and all of us have bug bites on us. I don't know what they are because you can't see them but you can feel them biting you. I have bites on my arms, legs and neck. We all bought lyesol to spray down our suitcases and clothes. I'm really concerned about even taking my things inside my home, for fear that whatever infestation they have will get in my house! There was also rat poop behind the TV on the stand. The staff is very nice but that doesn't account for all the nasty stuff in these rooms! DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!

• Stayed: August 2012
3  Thank Remi2012
A TripAdvisor Member
Lincolnshire, Illinois, USA
Reviewed August 8, 2012

Great service room was spot less.New carpet seemed like room was just up dated. Easy acsess from highway. Close to restreunts and shopping. Breakfest was freash with freindly service. Plenty of coffee and freach orange juice.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with cheaprooms.com