“A hotel full of angry travellers. Feels like a seedy motel. Awful way to finish our trip.”

Holiday Inn Chicago - Mt Prospect
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Mount Prospect
bakewell
Reviewed September 23, 2012

We were sent to this bphotel after our flights were cancelled by American Airlines. This place is in the middle of nowhere. The rooms are okay - pretty basic. The first room we were given hadn't been cleaned so we had to go back and ask for another room. The bathroom was not very nice. We had just spent 2 weeks staying in 4 and 5 star boutique hotels so to be given this for our final 'extra' night we really weren't impressed and didn't enjoy our surroundings. The lobby and corridors felt dated and worn.

We were told to inform staff of when we'd like to go back to the airport the following day. We wanted to leave the hotel at 1.45pm but were told 12 or 3 were the only times the bus would be running. So we arrived 2 hours early at the airport. Hardly a "regular" service.

This hotel is cheap and not very cheerful.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago - Mt Prospect, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Dear MaryJShim,

Thank you for your stay and leaving us feedback. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations at our hotel and your feedback is very important to us. I am sorry you were not fully satisfied with the overall condition of the rooms. Please accept my sincere apology for any inconvenience you may have experienced. I have taken note of your valuable comments and rest assured, these will be used to monitor and improve the quality and services we offer to our guests. Thank you again for your review. I hope we have the opportunity in the future to provide you with a better experience.

Once again, I do apologize and regret that this impacted your experience at our hotel.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
new harmony
Reviewed September 11, 2012

Our flight was canceled and the airline sent us to this hotel we were assured the hotel would shuttle us there,after a 3 hr. wait and being told repeatedly the shuttle would be there in 20 minutes we finally took a taxi at a cost of 39.00 and when I nicely told the girl at the check in desk that we had waited 3hrs. and finally took a taxi at the cost of 39.00 she immediately got very smart and hateful and said she only had one driver and kept on with it rolling her eyes and making our night a little worse.She was very rude crude and unpleasant.The room its self was clean and nice but not worth the attitude of the check in desk and the being told the shuttle would be there in 20 minutes when we waited 3hrs.The next morning the shuttle took us back to the airport the driver was nice but the seatbelt did not work in our seat(the seat clasp wasn't there.We were not the only ones treated this way we spoke with 2 other groups staying there and all had the same experience and all mentioned being treated rudely at check in.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Deb K
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago - Mt Prospect, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Dear Deb K,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We strive every day to create special experiences one guest at a time and I am truly sorry we did not manage this for your stay. Please accept my sincere apology for the difficulties you experienced with our shuttle services and I regret you received unacceptable service from our front desk staff. I have taken note of your valuable comments and will follow up with the front office to ensure that similar incidents won't happen again in the future.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare
Des Plaines, Illinois
Reviewed August 28, 2012

My daughter had her wedding Aug. 25th and we had a lot of out of town guests who needed a place to stay. The wedding was virtually 10 minutes from the hotel. Our venue had given us several hotels quite a distance away, but we chose the Holiday Inn Chicago and we couldn't have been more pleased. The front desk was amazing, friendly and extremely helpful with all of our guests. The rooms were very clean. They provided a free shuttle to and from our venue and it was well organized and on time. The shuttle came every time I called because we had scheduled pick up times, but some people wanted to leave earlier than that. Thanks Holiday Inn you helped make my daughter's wedding special.

Room Tip: I had no complaints from my guests about any room
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank rgw087
La Vergne, Tennessee, United States
Reviewed August 16, 2012

This hotel is in a nice section of the Chicago suburbs. There is a large shopping complex (Randhurst) directly across the street. Check in was fine, no issues. i was told breakfast was not included even though I was a gold PC member(breakfast is often included at HI for gold and platinum members) so I was a bit disapointed. The room was nice with the AC running when I arrived. The internet was very fast (HUGE PLUS), I even managed to stream a movie on my laptop. Service was good right up tot he end of my stay. The morning of check out I could not get the water in the shower hot. A cold shower is never a good way to start your day! During check out the front desk clerk didn't want to give me a recipt at first. He thought I had booked through hotels.com or something. I had booked through Holidayinn.com using the advanced purchase rate, but after searching for a few minutes he generated my receipt. He never asked how was my stay or anything. I would have complained about the shower temp if given the chance but it was obvious that they just wanted to get me out. I'm hoping this was an isolated incident since all of the other reviews I've seen were great.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Jonathan H
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed August 8, 2012

i stayed at this property last week for a nearby training class. I chose the Holiday Inn Mt. Prospect because they offer a shuttle to O'Hare and the driver who picked me up the evening of my arrival (i only wish i had asked his name!) was a standout! after a day of traveling, i was tired and not a little cranky. he was engaging and funny and soon had me chatting up a storm with him as we headed to the hotel (in Chicago rush hour no less!) the rest of my stay was non-eventful. the room was very clean, everyone was polite and pleasant to deal with, housekeeping cleaned my room well and promptly each day but there were no other "superstars" i encountered. Overall, i would recommend this property and i would return if i needed to be in that area. Oh and there was a very nice shopping area with a variety of stores & restaurants within walking distance. it appears that more stores & restaurants are joining the area soon as well.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank bkinnear
Clayton, New York
Reviewed August 7, 2012

Miss my flight, but was given a great room at the hotel by American Airlines. The inconvenience of missing an international flight is not new to me, but my hotel stay at Mt. Prospect was excellent. The staff was friendly, allowing me to use their printer for my rewritten flight tickets, spending time with me making my stay so comfortable..... I especially mention General Manager Dan Goel, so kind and caring. The reception staff was the friendliest I have encountered in the US! Thank you to Jaz, Cindy and Vanessa for your kindness. I wish you all the best!~ Chicago may be a huge city, but here at the Holiday Inn, I found lovely people with big hearts!! I could never express my deep gratitude to these people who made a bad situation of a missed international connection a wonderful day in my life! Thank you Dan and your staff!!! True teamwork is the secret to your success!!

Room Tip: Any room would be a great room--so clean, spacious and well-appointed with complimentary wi-fi.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank PatiBaz47
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed August 4, 2012

My husband and I just got married at Arlington Park in Arlington Heights, IL. We decided to book a block of rooms for us and our guests with Holiday Inn Mt. Prospect mainly because of the shuttle service to the park and the Bar Louie for after partying purposes.
There were a few snags, but overall it was a positive experience.

First, the positives:

1. Ryan Rodriguez, the Sales Manager and my contact, was absolutely wonderful to work with. He was very responsive to my questions and requests, and really helped me figure out who had booked so I could follow up with those who hadn't. He took very good care of us, making sure we got the bridal suite and that the appropriate number of rooms were reserved. He even set up a special website to facilitate our guests booking their rooms. I was able to link to it from our wedding website, which was very helpful.
2. The rooms were clean and comfortable. The bridal suite was outstanding, with a mini-kitchen area, jacuzzi tub, and double vanity in the bathroom. (The only weird thing was that I couldn't find the coffee-maker. I assumed it should be in the kitchen area, but it was hidden under the nightstand on the far side of the bed- very odd). I slept like a baby the night before the wedding and the room was perfect for getting ready with my girlfriends the day of. Two rooms meant that the hairdresser and makeup artist each got their own space in which to work. It worked out very well.
3. The Bar Louie was a HUGE plus. We got breakfast vouchers to use on the very delicious breakfast offerings in the Bar Louie. Several of our guests enjoyed the Bar Louie before and after the rehearsal dinner, and after the wedding (since it was a day wedding and was over by dinner time). The food and drink offerings and the staff were fantastic.
4. The pool was enjoyed by everyone from my grandmother, who loves to do water aerobics in the morning, to our friends, who engaged in some evening revelry at the pool. I even think the staff kept the pool open a little later than normal for them. I was not there but I heard it was a great time!
5. The benefits that were promised for booking our block there were fulfilled. Because we had so many guests book, we were given two complimentary nights, which was a huge help. In general, the rooms were very affordably priced for the value.

To be honest and fair, I must also list the snags:

1. The contact with whom I originally signed a contract was replaced, but nobody ever informed me of this. I sent her an email and, after a week of no response, I decided to call, at which point I was told she no longer worked there and I was put in touch with Ryan Rodriguez. Ryan turned out to be a fantastic contact, I only wish the communication would have been more efficient. In my line of business, when an employee leaves, we forward their emails to another employee for a period of time. I would recommend this to them.
2. The bridal suit was not ready for us when we checked in on the day of the rehearsal dinner. Check in was 3pm, and we arrived closer to 5pm. We were given keys to the room but, when we went to occupy the room, the housekeepers had the door open and hadn't even started cleaning it yet. We stood in the hallway with all of our sundry wedding day items (including dress) with nowhere to go until they prepared the room. This was a bit stressful, as we had a reahearsal for which to get ready. I understand they were fully booked the previous night and were struggling to clean the hotel, but it would have been nice if the front desk would have been aware of the status of the cleaning crew, so we weren't standing in the hallway guarding our belongings with nowhere to go.
3. There was some confusion with the shuttle situation. The two shuttles they have are more like large vans, and only hold 15 people per shuttle. Since we had several out-of-town guests and many from Chicago who wanted to stay in the burbs for the wedding, we had quite a few guests who needed transportation to the venue. The day before the wedding, I was told we would be charged an extra $50 to bring in another shuttle/driver. At this point I was fine with that, I just wanted to make sure my guests could get to the wedding since we had promised them a shuttle on our actual invitations. When we arrived, they said they would waive the fee but move around the schedule of the shuttles to start bringing guests earlier. All of this was understandable, but at this late point, I was unable to communicate the change of plans to all of my guests. I was also told that, even though I had given them a map of the facilities at Arlington, one of the shuttles dropped the guests off at the off-track betting facility rather than the park. Many of them had to walk to the park, which is not close. One had a sprained ankle and had to hitch a ride. On the other hand, other guests said the shuttle driver they had was fantastic. I just thought they would have a little more knowledge of the park since they offer shuttle service there. I guess many of their guests go to the off-track facility so their drivers are used to going there.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel to others. I know this is a new hotel and I think they are still getting their sea legs with a few things, so I think the service will continue to improve.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mount Prospect
Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago/Mt. Prospect
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Prospect Heights
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson,...
#1 of 2 in Prospect Heights
Wingate by Wyndham Arlington Heights
Wingate by Wyndham Arlington Hei...
#1 of 10 in Arlington Heights
Courtyard Chicago Glenview/Northbrook
Baymont Inn & Suites Glenview
Crowne Plaza Hotel Chicago - Northbrook

Been to Holiday Inn Chicago - Mt Prospect? Share your experiences!