“What an authentic experience!”
Review of Sakura - Mt Prospect - CLOSED

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Appleton, Wisconsin
“What an authentic experience!”
Reviewed August 6, 2013

We were in Chicago for a long weekend with my mother in law and found this place a bit by accident. It's a bit off of the beaten path but SO worth it! Make SURE to request a private Japanese room. These are actually closed off rooms where the table is in a hole in the floor and you sit on mats. Reservations are a must for these rooms, and you need to have a party of 5 or more for this experience. The Shabu Shabu (a bit like Chinese hot pot) was out of this world good! The beef melted in our mouths. Best sushi I've had in a long time, and we travel extensively. My mother in law is from Hong Kong and knows good high end Japanese food very well. I think it said a lot that she thoroughly enjoyed and raved about the food. We ordered two portions of Shabu Shabu, three bowls of Udon noodles, fried rice, 5 different sushi roll plates, miso soup and drinks and the bill was $122 for 5 people.... WITH tip included! I was floored by how reasonable that was for all of the excellent food we ate. If you have a group, try the Shabu Shabu experience...it will really make for a special occasion. Cannot comment on the main dining area as we ate in a private room. We will ABSOLUTELY be back the next time we're in Chicago. Yummy!

• Visited August 2013

Chicago, Illinois
“Great authentic sushi restaurant”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

This place is not fancy by any means. It is, however a very nice and cozy traditional Japanese place. During lunch time this place is packed with japanese business people, which in my book is a great sign! They have regular tables but also they have private tea rooms for groups larger than 5.
The food is excellent, from sushi, soup, to noodles, to the chicken & steak lunches.

The not so good: for a while the service was sooooo slowww! This just improved within the last month or so. On average I would say that my meals now go on average of 45 minutes, which is perfect for those of you planning on going there for an hour lunch.

• Visited May 2013
Chicago, Illinois
“One of the better Japanese places in town”
Reviewed May 24, 2013

I have been eating at Sakura for as many years as they have been open - and that's a long time now - probably 27+ years....Never had a bad piece of sushi or a bad entree or drink at any time. People may say this place is pricey - my opinion is, good sushi isn't cheap and cheap sushi isn't good. Worth checking this place out.

• Visited April 2013
Chicagoland
“Fantastic Japanese Food that is pricey but well worth it!”
Reviewed March 8, 2013

My husband told me how this place was the only restaurant the Japanese businessmen would eat at when visiting at his former workplace so I knew it must be good and was not disappointed. The attention to detail and 'melt in your mouth sushi' was simply amazing. My mouth is watering just thinking about it. The service is absolutely excellent as well! There is absolutely nothing to complain about except maybe the expense but you get what you pay for here and simply won't be disappointed! This is one of those meals worth paying more for!

• Visited October 2012
Knoxville, Tennessee
“My favorite Japanese restaurant in Chicago- Mt Prospect Actually.”
Reviewed February 12, 2012

Chicago has a lot of great restaurants, but for Japanese I recommend this place which is about 20 minutes drive from O'Hare (I have been to Japan about 20 times, and have eaten at some excellent places, but this is my favorite anywhere). They have an extensive menu and we enjoy getting a large variety of dishes and sharing family style. It is just a very pleasant and relaxed environment. I believe that they had an ownership change, but service and food is still very good. If you go for lunch you can get in and out quickly if you need to, but for dinner it would be a disservice not to allow around two hours.

• Visited October 2011