“Consistently excellent, all around”
Review of Maxine's - CLOSED

Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed April 15, 2014

I have eaten at Maxine's many times and keep going back. There is nothing that I don't like about this place. Service is friendly and consistent --- very little, if any staff turnover. The menu changes seasonally with locally available items that come and go. Interesting use of flight offering for feature cocktails, appetizers, and some entrees. Very soothing décor in an intimate atmosphere. Prices are very reasonable for the quality of food and service. If you plan to go on Thursday, Friday, or Saturday night, call for reservations to be sure you can get in. Leave the kids at home, they will not appreciate the ambiance or the menu.

3  Thank Richard P

Reviewed March 5, 2014

Food is great, classes are good, prices are a little over the top for Morton, IL. I don't mind paying for quality and the food is quality, but we aren't in Chicago after all.

4  Thank Kevin B
Reviewed January 2, 2014

We recently dined at Maxine's over the holidays with out of state guests. The cheese appetizer and salads were superb. However, 3 of the entree's were salty enough to take away from the taste of the meal. I was the only one (had gonochi) that didn't find my food too salty. If it were me, I would have sent them back but the waitress was informed and assured us the chef would be told. I would still return to try their food again and be hopeful that the over salty issue was corrected. As mentioned in earlier posts, the atmosphere is very appealing and wait staff pleasant and quite efficient.

3  Thank Morganmom
Reviewed October 18, 2013

Spending a couple of nights in Morton, my wife and I were preparing ourselves for bar food and much to our surprise, we came across Maxine's...

Wait staff was very friendly and informative. Went over the menu in great detail (it is a seasonally changing menu, so the items vary by what is in season). Good selection of wines, beers and ciders. High end cuisine with simple ingredients; most of them locally grown. Especially loved the "flight concept" for apps and desserts.

Only negative issue (and why I didn't rate it a 5) was the error on the bill. There were 2 extra items included, which surprised me since the restaurant appears to be well managed. By the way, the 2 items were quickly removed from the bill without incident.

Also, if given the choice (especially in the fall or winter), ask to get a table inside the main building and not the enclosed porch. And don't forget to make a reservation as seating is limited.

1  Thank Lou B
Reviewed August 9, 2013

This was our 2nd visit...this time my husband had a blt salad and I had a peach salad, both excellent choices. For our entrees, he had the all-American burger which was a very good choice and I had the salmon a 2nd time, excellent! The atmosphere of the restaurant is an old Victorian home, has front porch seating, main floor seating, and upstairs seating. Both times we have been on the main floor. Our service was great both times and we enjoyed the experience!

2  Thank Rhonda W