“Convenient - Just Not the Cleanest”

Best Western Monticello Gateway Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Monticello
Reviewed June 27, 2013

We stayed at the Best Western for a local wedding, and its convenience cannot be denied. Since this is likely the most amenity-filled hotel in the area, it was great to be able to have the reception in the banquet hall and retire to our room later that evening. Additionally, the hotel is pet-friendly, which allowed us to bring our cat with us for the two nights we stayed without having to look for a sitter.
However, despite being a good choice in town, this Best Western is not perfect. Our room, while fairly large, did not feel very clean - I was glad we were only there for two nights. The furniture and kitchenette looked old and dated. The smell of the pool permeated the front lobby, which was also not great. Finally, the complimentary breakfast options were few and not particularly exciting - mostly just cereal. While we appreciated the convenience, we are glad this was a short stay.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 30, 2013

It was a one night stay while passing through Monticello, IL. Three C's - Clean, Comfortable, Cheap. I breakfast buffet to not great, but the coffee was good. Everything else was OK. The front desk girl was very helpful in suggesting a local place to have dinner. The place she recommend was outstanding. Thanks

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
manisha p, General Manager at Best Western Monticello Gateway Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your stay at the Best Western Gateway Inn! I am very sorry to hear that you were dissatisfied with our breakfast choices. We try to provide a variety to please all of our guests, however that is not always possible. We would also like to thank you for utilizing our staffs knowlegde and for recognising the helpful information you were provided with. We hope to see you again!

Reviewed April 16, 2013

We stayed in the Managers Apartment recently, and I wanted to say a big thank you. It had 2 seperate bedrooms which was a plus! Comfortable and clean. Thank you again! I will definately stay here again when I come to town!

Room Tip: Even numbered rooms face the parking lot and odd face a beautiful pond, and woods in back. Also, the...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
manisha p, General Manager at Best Western Monticello Gateway Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2013

Thank you for taking time to write a review on your stay at Best Western Gateway Inn. We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! We look forward to seeing you again in a future stay at our hotel!

Reviewed April 12, 2013

The only person on duty could not provide the most basic driving directions, despite my attempt to narrow into the motel on the map provided on the motel's site. She didn't seem the least bit interested in helping me to actually get there, so I canceled my stay. Why are people who are in the service industry so lackadaisical and bored sounding? In this economy, this is the fastest way I can think of to lose business.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank madge956

Thank you for taking time to post a review regarding your stay at Best Western Gateway Inn! I am very sorry to hear that you were dissatisfied with our staff. While we do understand our location can sometimes be difficult to get to, we also urge our guests to try to understand that all of our employees try their best to provide any help they are able to. Please be aware that depending where a guest is calling from, our staff on duty at the time may not know the most convenient directions from your location to our hotel. When that occurs, the best we can do to help you is try to look up online directions from nearest to where your current location is. I do sincerely apologize for your dissatisfaction and I hope to see you giving our hotel another chance in the future!

Reviewed April 4, 2013

Their pool is disgusting....and their hot tub is out if service, when I asked when it'd be fixed she said "never, we aren't fixing it". Then she told me the bathrooms don't work, no water, can't flush,so I would have to use a different one, or my room.
I didn't have a towel after the pool....but I can RENT one for a certain amount if $$$?! No thanks!!!!!!!!
It's dark, the lighting everywhere needs to be fixed...they need friendlier staff. They need to take care of their pool and pool area and fix their bathrooms!! Terrible.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank sunshine6137

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your stay at The Best Western Gateway Inn. I am very sorry to hear that your stay did not have a superior outcome.

Unfortunately our hot tub is out of commission, and due to the severity of its malfunctions, and cost to repair we have decided not to have it brought back into service at this point in time. Due to our hot to being out of commission, we do not have any advertisement promoting that we have a hot tub. We are a small hotel, and have a small staff. The staff we do accommodate all takes responsibility in keeping our hotel clean. Our pool is many years old and the concrete on the bottom does show through the paint in areas, but i assure you that it is very well maintained and always kept up to date on proper chemicals and treatments to assure that is is not only hygienic, but a fun safe environment for all families staying with us to enjoy.

Again, I apologize for your inconveniences, and hope to see you staying with us again!

Reviewed March 3, 2013

Having stayed there for 5-6 weeks stop for a one night stay was told room cost was 110.00 per night ????? Seven cars where in the parking lot but most of them was for the locals enjoying the indoor pool!! This place will be another empty building along the rural routes of AMERICA!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you for taking the time to post a review regarding your stay at The Best Western Gateway Inn. I am very sorry to hear of your dissatisfaction with your stay at our hotel.
While I understand that from viewing our parking lot it may seem that we do not have many guests, but often our guests are out enjoying whatever it is they have made the trip here to do. Often our guests do not return to their rooms until eleven or twelve at night after visiting with family or late conferences.
Our rates are based off of many different factors. When setting our rates we have to take into consideration our availability, the availability of surrounding hotels, local events, as well as events we host. Even when our rates may seem high, there are many factors that you do not see when checking them.
Again, I sincerely apologize for your inconvenience and hope to see you giving our hotel another try in the future!

Reviewed December 30, 2012

Only negative was a coating of ice and melted snow in the handicapped parking area. I have no more comments to make except that the form required more characters be added here before I could submit it.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Been to Best Western Monticello Gateway Inn? Share your experiences!