“Most incompetent staff I've ever encountered”

Best Western Monticello Gateway Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Monticello
Norfolk, Virginia
“Most incompetent staff I've ever encountered”
Reviewed May 2, 2011

My family reserved a number of rooms here for the nights before and after my grandmother's funeral. As the service was occurring at a later date, reservations were made a month or more in advance. When we arrived, they were short one room, and it proved nearly impossible to get a room despite our numerous confirmations and other proof. Apparently Best Western corporate frequently fails to provide this hotel with accurate booking information. The desk clerk, Connie, was the most incompetent, unprofessional hotel staff member I have ever seen. There was availability, but Connie would not release another room to us because of its higher rate. She had no idea how to work the reservation system. The manager with whom she spoke (Manisha) instructed her not to give us a room. After 30 minutes at the front desk, and with at least 5 other guests in line waiting to check in, we were finally given a room with one bed instead of two. Upon checking out, we were only credited half the price of one room, and they tried to charge us a higher rate.

--The room smelled like stale feet.
--There were large yellow stains on the bedding, which was not changed during our stay.
--At least one of our rooms received no housekeeping service and when we informed the front desk, they shrugged and told us that the housekeeping staff had left at 3 pm.
--There are mattresses and box springs stored in the stairwells.
--The waffle iron in the breakfast room was absolutely filthy and had likely never been cleaned.
--There were no forks, spoons, or knives to be found at breakfast.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank ecc1002

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Ida, Michigan
Reviewed January 24, 2011

I use this hotel on a regular basis when visiting central Illinois. The last visit, for a funeral, booked 5 rooms for a total of 12 room nights. Rooms were (as always) clean. All rooms were no smoking and had no stale smoke odor. The staff, as always, was friendly and helpful. The only down side was that the pool was closed for maintenance the first couple of days of our stay. I have booked close to 50 room nights here over the past three years and have never had a bad experience.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
St. Louis, MO
Reviewed June 25, 2009

Had a wedding at Allerton Park and they were booked...

We knew we weren't in for a quality hotel when we saw the flies swarming around the front desk staf. Rooms were icky...this was obviously a smoking hotel where they tried to cover up the stink with carpet deoderizer and spray. For one night, we made it through. Next time I'll sleep on the floor of the Allerton hotel.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank AbbySSt_Louis_MO
Quad Cities
Reviewed June 22, 2009

I have stayed here a couple times in the past, but this time is the last. First, friends staying had to leave early, they got charged for a extra day even though they checked out before the check out time. When I checked out, we got charged for a higher rate than what was quoted. After a short dicussion they did drop the price For the most part the room was just fine. It is their policy that is wrong. Next time I will drive farther to another motel. I will be back next year, but not at this motel. Unfortunatly, my opinion is shared by few more people from the same event

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank Soarglide
illinois
Reviewed April 13, 2009

The night clerk came to my aid when my husband had a low blood sugar, diabetic episode in the middle of the night., 2:30 am. She watched while I went to our car in the parking lot to gather his pills. It happened to be very cold and snowing. Held the door for me, and offered juice or milk with muffins to help with his sugar levels. Very kind and nice.
I really appreciate that kind of attention while we are away from home.
Thank you, Debra, the night clerk.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Indianapolis
Reviewed October 9, 2007

After reading all the negative reviews ( seems to come from the same family members and giving one sided view of the whole situation ), i would like to complement this hotel for thier friendly customer service and clean rooms. I have been visiting this hotel for the last 2 years and never once treated bad or also double booked. The staff always went the extra mile to make my stary comfortable.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Illinois
Reviewed September 9, 2007

Our family reunion was affected negatively because the management at this hotel chose not to correct their double booking mistake.
I called this hotel in early July 2007 to book a room for Labor Day weekend. The hotel was supposed to have reserved a block of rooms for our reunion at a special $67 rate. I was told by the desk that they had no knowledge of our reunion and the rate was $125 per room. I did not book the room but found other arrangements with family members about 1 hour from the picnic location.
The day of the family reunion became chaotic when a police man showed up at the picnic demanding family members to vacate their rooms. The hotel wanted to give the rooms to a wedding party that they had double booked for Labor Day weekend.
The day lost its fun, excited, happy to see you feeling as it was replaced with a black cloud. Tempers flared, family worried they had lost their rooms, our normal family picnic routine was completely interrupted. Precious family reunion pictures were even affected as family members were not able to be in the pictures because they were delayed well into the afternoon instead of being right after the meal.
The hotel problem did not go away because the hotel failed to own up their mistake and make things right. What a shame!

• Liked — location was great for our family reunion at Piatt County Forest Preserve
  • Disliked — The service of the hotel associates
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank LifeOfAdventure
Also consider these accommodations in or near Monticello
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Decatur
Best Western Paradise Inn
Ramada Urbana/Champaign
Homewood Suites Decatur-Forsyth
Sleep Inn
Sleep Inn
#7 of 13 in Decatur
Comfort Suites Urbana Champaign, University Area

Been to Best Western Monticello Gateway Inn? Share your experiences!