“Quick to Fall Into Not Caring”

Baymont Inn & Suites Metropolis
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Metropolis
Reviewed February 15, 2012

This hotel's a good experiment in what happens when a property is renovated but immediately neglected when the management just stops caring. There are no bad motels: just bad managers. For the time being, it's clean. No bed bugs, no marks on the walls, no holes in the bed sheets, no broken items in the bathroom, no stained carpet in the hallways. Basically, no signs that it's a bad, neglected motel. When I first walked into the room, I said "Oh, this isn't that bad." But it got progressively worse.
For whatever reason, I was given an accessible double. No, not a two double room that you usually find, just one double bed. This was a Travelocity "Top Secret Hotels" purchase, so there's no telling what was written on there. The accessibility could have been requested in the reservation.
First, turning on the TV, I found it had an almost unwatchable tint to it. I messed around with it and was able to get it to a slightly better state, but it was still just wrong. Some channels were very fuzzy. One of the Showtimes was ridiculously soft, while the other was deafeningly loud. Then I go to get a drink of water from the sink. Something is really, terribly wrong with the water in the sink because it tastes like smoldering plastic. I think it may be just the cup but, no, as I smell it, I realize it's the water from the tap. This resulted in me having to pour water and brush my teeth using the bathtub faucet. The next morning, I wake up and take a shower. First, I notice the bathmat towel that's obviously stained (pictured) but, only when I get out, I realize that all the towels hanging on the one towel rack are HAND towels. No body towels. I dry myself off (the hand towels were surprisingly absorbent) and scour the room: no body towels. They just never replaced them.
The breakfast here is awful (roughly Econo Lodge par), but I wasn't expecting anything very good. You would be better off driving away and getting fast food breakfast or going to the casino, where the restaurant is actually in the hotel, so it's easier to reach. Oh, and the wifi is horrendous. The signal is fine, it's just achingly slow, and it never speeds up, even in the morning when fewer people are likely on it.
And if you're here for the casino, it's a really good location. You walk down a small hill, cross a street, and follow the sidewalk around the back to enter into the hotel doorway, which eventually leads to the casino. If you came and parked in their lot on a Saturday night, it would be roughly the same amount of walking when the lot starts to fill. Seemed like a lame casino to me, but I'm not really a gambler.
I would not recommend this hotel if you're just traveling through. Metropolis is kind of a crappy town and, although there are some other chain hotels that look decent over closer to the interstate, I think it would be better to stay across the river, in Paducah. One of the weird things I found was that there didn't seem to be any liquor stores around. At all. You could buy beer and wine at the Walgreens or at gas stations, but not at the little supermarket. Maybe it's better to have no liquor stores in a casino town, but it seemed odd.
This place will certainly be rebranded within the next year or so. Baymont is generally a bad brand, but even they have their standards.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank colinaz

Reviewed January 22, 2012

This hotel should be shut down. The front foyer is spectacular. After that its all downhill. The rooms are dirty. The furniture, beds, fixtures,carpet,and bathrooms need replacing.There is no wi-fi as advertised. The continental breakfast was way below standard. Not a good experience.

Room Tip: Do not stay here. Its a waste of money.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Brian H
Reviewed December 20, 2011

The pool was not open, only rooms on the second floor were open. I watched someone come in without any reservation and ask for a rate and they beat my Expedia rate by $20. The desk staff was pleasant and friendly.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed December 30, 2010

The lobby area was clean and neat, the cleanliness stopped here. The room was straight out of the movie Psycho. It was literally filthy and smelled like old garbage. The bath tub was covered in hair, coffee machine had dust on the inside and the carpet was sticky. My sister sat in a chair, pulled it up to the table and the armrest came off in her hand. The key pads for the security entrances had been ripped from the walls, one door had been propped open with a trash can, there was a dirty diaper two feet from our door and a four inch gap under the door. The ice machines didn't work and the vending machines were empty. I thought we were on the show "Punked" until I complained to the clerk and she just said thats one of our best rooms. If this was the best room I feel sorry for anyone who stayed in the other rooms. I could barely sleep as I was waiting for Anthony Perkins to jump out of the shower! I also felt like if I went to sleep I would wake up with a toe tag! If you choose this hotel, you are either charging by the hour or looking for somewhere to sleep off an alcohol or drug binge. Totally disgusting and not worth the comp price we got it for, I would have rather paid to sleep anywhere else.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank Gamble60
Reviewed October 17, 2010

Upon arrival the hotel check in clerk looked like a dirty unshaven slob. The staff was not at all friendly. The hotel has a nice appearance outside, in the main lobby, and breakfast area but rooms are a different story! the rooms are very outdated and old looking in need of repair. The carpet is very dusty alongside the walls. The furntiure is very old with broken handles. Bed is very uncomfortable and hard. (Had a backache both mornings!) Old tube television with grainy picture. The bathroom had a broken toilet seat and tub/shower was dirty looking. They are very stingy with the towels. Only had one tiny bar of soap to share in shower and sink area. Smells of a stale smoke in rooms. The continental breakfast wasn't too great.~ Not much to pick from. We stayed here because of the BBQ cookoff going on so when we come back next year for this we will definately not be staying here again! I believe this is the worst hotel we've ever stayed.

1  Thank Freebird62
Reviewed October 9, 2010

We stayed here one night in last month. The location was great as you could walk less then a mile and see all the Superman statue and other Superman items. The downtown murals were also neat. If interested in Harrah's it is located across the parking lot. There is also a indoor swimming pole opened 24 hours. The breakfast is your normal high carb items. We would stay here again in the future.

Reviewed October 3, 2010

We stayed in a suite at this hotel for 51.00 (Internet Price)
The hotel definetly could use some updates to the furnishings.
The room was not sparkling clean,just barely clean really.
The breakfast was just an ordinary continental one.
The location is right next to the Oh. River and Harrahs Casino,about 3 miles off I-24.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Metropolis
Harrah's Metropolis
Comfort Inn Paducah
Comfort Inn Paducah
#16 of 28 in Paducah
Holiday Inn Express Metropolis

Been to Baymont Inn & Suites Metropolis? Share your experiences!