“Nice Hotel, Casino is Horrible”

Harrah's Metropolis
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Metropolis
GreenLeadersBronze level
Nashville, Tennessee
“Nice Hotel, Casino is Horrible”
Reviewed July 14, 2007

My husband and I stayed here Friday night just as a stopover on the way to somewhere else in Illinois. We arrived at 7:15 and self-parked. Parking is a breeze - our suggestion is to turn left into the parking lot before the hotel. Otherwise, you end up at the front of the hotel and either have to move the car or valet park. Valet is $5 per day - not bad, but it was just as easy to park ourselves.

Check-in was a breeze, no wait and friendly receptionists. We had a luxury room, king bed, non smoking on the 7th floor. Elevators are key access only. Room was nicely furnished with couch, chair, king bed, nice big bathroom w/ separate toilet. Gilbert & Soames amenities.

Ate at the restaurant off the lobby which according to the book in the room was american food. However, after we were seated (our fault for not looking at the menu outside) we realized it was italian. It was so-so and service was a bit strange. Definitely not worth the $85 we paid. Go to the Range steakhouse by the casino for much better food, service & ambiance.

Casino was very smoky (we go to Vegas several times a year and it is NOTHING compared to Harrahs Metopolis). It is also small with old, reject slot machines. We literally walked in and walked out. Never again! It was really rather pathetic seeing the retirement checks being flushed away :(

Overall the hotel is very nice and the service at the front desk and their little shop was outstanding. The beds are wonderful!! Just don't go for the casino.

• Liked — The bed!!
  • Disliked — Casino
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
4 Thank snwarf01

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (501)
Le Claire, Iowa
Reviewed January 30, 2007

Beautiful hotel in this little town. Great room with view of river if you get the "front" side rooms. Casino boat is a small one but OK. Restaurant in hotel was very good, the chef came out and checked to see if everything was OK. Prices very reasonable.

• Liked — great room
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank wsteinhauer
Effingham Illinois
Reviewed January 3, 2007

My husband and I stayed one night and loved every minute of it! The staff was very helpful and friendly, our room was great and exceptionally clean. If you stay Sun - Thurs you can't beat the price. We've decided to go back within the month.

• Liked — The staff
  • Disliked — No complaints
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank fallingstarfire
New Albany, Indiana
Reviewed October 2, 2006

Not only is this hotel/casino the friendliest casino my wife and I have ever been to, but the room was great.

Every member of the staff asked for our name which made us a little jumpy at the start, but they all just wanted to be able to call us by name. It was quite the shock. A place that still has customer service as number 1. Employees would come up to us and start talking... I felt like I was leaving friends when we left Metropolis.

Our room was a suite and had plenty of space. There was a king bed as requested and it had everything a person could ask for in a hotel room. (At least everything my wife and I needed.)

My wife and I have now gone there twice and plan on going again this year. I highly recommend Metropolis to anyone who wants a friendly gambling experience mixed with a nice hotel.

• Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bjed
Tennessee
Reviewed September 5, 2006

Spent one night at this hotel. No problem at all with the reservation. The staff was the best I have ever experienced. Very helpful with any and all questions. I asked for a river view room and got it! The bed was great! Larger than expected bathroom with seperate toilet area. Gold faucets! Nice couch and coffee table. We had breakfast in the hotel restaurant. Service was slow but I think it was our server...maybe she needed a day off! The food was very good. We had a grand time in the casino which is connected to the hotel. The parking valet was extremely nice. It may be because this was a casino hotel but every person we had contact with was just great! We are already planning another trip to this hotel.

• Liked — The huge bathroom and view of the river
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — Check rates which can vary greatly
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mrspakrat
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 12, 2006

If going for a stay at the new Harrah's Metropolis Casino Hotel you might take the time to confirm what actual hotel in which you will be staying. You might find yourself 3 miles down the road at the Comfort Inn.

During the first week of May I made a reservation to stay at the new Harrah's Metropolis Hotel. I received an e-mail confirmation for a stay during the first weekend of July. The room was to be free of charge which is what I expect based on my Diamond player status with Harrah's.

Nearly two months later and one day before my scheduled arrival, a casino host called to inform me that my reservation had been moved to the Comfort Inn. For years I did stay at the Comfort Inn and other hotels in the Metropolis area because I was a loyal player to Harrah's and I knew that the new hotel was coming. I was insulted to be told that my confirmed reservation for the new casino hotel had been voided and switched to the Comfort Inn. Possibly making it worse was the fact that I was in a room at the Wynn Las Vegas when I got the news that I would be at the Comfort Inn the very next evening.

I won't give Harrah's Metropolis Casino Hotel another chance at the bait and switch game.

20 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Metropolis
Baymont Inn & Suites Metropolis
#25 of 29 in Paducah
Paducah Inn Boutique Hotel
Paducah Inn Boutique Hotel
#10 of 29 in Paducah

Been to Harrah's Metropolis? Share your experiences!