“SHADY Casino”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Glenpool, Oklahoma
“SHADY Casino”
Reviewed March 26, 2014

We drove from out of state and decided to go 100 miles out of the way on our trip to Nashville. The told me they would have a room and I reserved it. We get there and all they have was a smoking room. The guy at the front was obviously new and says it won't smell like a cigar box like we think. We get to our room and I was shocked. The smell was HORRIFIC! I wanted a refund to leave and they said no and they would spray freshener in the room. Really for a 160.00 this is what I get? Anyways went down to the casino to play and was sitting at a poker table for around 4 hours. I made a statement to a guy saying his hand was good before I realized 4 of the same suit on the board to give me a flush! The floor guy told me my hand was dead once I told him he was good. About 10 mins later in another hand with a lady and at showdown I had pocket 4s and she had 10 high but board was 2 over pairs to mine so I showed and her EXACT words were "you're good". Ok according to the floor boss her hand should have been dead. No they changed the rule and said as long as she didn't muck her cards they are live. The entire table even was shocked. The floor guy is obviously new to the position and no idea how to run a casino. I requested to speak to management and asked them to view videos but "they didn't have video"! What kind of casino doesn't have video every 5 feet. Save your money and do not go to this hell hole. Way over priced and the staff they must have just found on the streets pushing a cart. Not to mention the dealer even told me I had 5 bucks left after that hand and I told him I didn't want that I wanted the pot so he took it upon himself to put it in his tip bucket when I told him not to. Shady people

• Stayed March 2014
3 Thank HaskellJ83

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (481)
Marietta, Georgia
Reviewed March 24, 2014

This is a nice hotel with great clean comfortable rooms. I would defiantly stay again for the price. Rooms were really well decorated and up to date. Has the feel of a very expensive hotel for the price of a cheep motel. We were on our way to St Louis and needed a place to stay for the night and the price was so good we could not pass it up. But there are some negatives that should be mentioned. You should know this hotel/casino has an almost all 65+ clientele as someone mentioned it is a great place for "snowbirds" or retirees getting away for cold. Me and my husband really wanted a good night sleep this place was great because it was really quiet. But this place would be boring for young kids.

Despite the beautiful look of the place(inside) it does tend to have a slightly musky smell to the place, but it is not horrible like some hotels. This is not a hotel for a family vacation, there is really nothing in the town of Metropolis, not even basic stores. To get anything that can not be found at a dollar general or the local (non chain)supermarket and a couple fast food places you have to drive back 25-30 mins across the state line to Paducah. The neighborhood and view from outside is pretty bad. I was not very optimistic driving in even with the good reviews. But I was pleasantly surprised with the inside of the hotel and the room itself. We got the room for 32$ including tax if you use the hotels website and most of the websites posted at 41 before taxes. The room itself could easily go for 100+ if it were in a good neighborhood closer to the freeway.

As far as casino's go, if you are not a retiree, I doubt you would enjoy. It is small and not anything like the Vegas casinos(heck it is not even close off the strip small casinos in Vegas) I used to live by an Indian casino in a fairly remote area and it was 3 times as big.

My biggest problem was finding decent food. No free breakfast, and I do not eat a big breakfast so the buffet was too expensive for a light breakfast, so our only real option was McDonalds. And we could not leave early because we had a phone meeting in the morning so we were kind of stuck. If I were to go here again I would stop at a store in Paducah and bring something to eat with me. The room has a mini fridge and great big tub.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Plymouth, Minnesota
Reviewed March 8, 2014

We have stayed at this hotel several years now on our return from Florida. The rooms are clean and modern, great bathrooms with granite vanities etc. The front desk clerk was very helpful. There had been a mixup in my call to the 800 number for reservations, and she cheerfully helped me with the issue. We look forward to staying here each spring

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Wilton, Iowa
Reviewed March 7, 2014

Stayed at Harrah's Metropolis twice for one night about 10 days apart recently. Both nights were comped by CET's Total Rewards program. Both were rooms with king beds, the rooms were clean and quiet. We slept very well both nights. The bathrooms were large, with a large soaking tub/shower combo, and a separate room for the toilet. Free WiFi worked well, but the large flat screen TV only had standard def content, no HD. There was also a small refrigerator in the room. All in all, very nice, no complaints, especially at the price! Employees encountered were pleasant and professional. No problems at check in or check out.

Only ate in the buffet for dinner once. It is okay, but small, with limited selection. We paid with TR points, but at $20 for dinner, we thought it was overpriced for what it delivered.

The casino is small and cramped, needs updating. An employee said they are moving off the barge, and into the hotel convention space later this year, that would be a welcome change. Like all Illinois casinos, it is non smoking, which we like.

We passed through this area going to, and returning from Florida, and would stay here again if in the area.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed March 2, 2014

We got this place on sale for $42 + taxes. The room was incredible for that price. They aren't there to make money of the hotel rooms. They obviously want you to gamble in the casino, which we did. We lost a little cash but had a good time trying to make a little cash. All in all a good stop on the road, exactly half-way between Chicago and Atlanta (our two points of travel).

Hampton, Minnesota
Reviewed March 1, 2014

The hotel was very clean, it is in town, so no traffic noise. It is about 5 miles off the freeway. The casino is nothing special,, buffet was great! Neighborhood the hotel is in is a bit questionable. Overall a very nice stay.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed February 20, 2014

Had a nice 2 night stay. Nice room at a very good price ($107.00 for 2 nights) All the staff was friendly & helpful. Get a Total Rewards card. (since we were new we got a free buffet!) We had a nice breakfast buffet.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view on 5-6-or-7th floor