“Nice Hotel, So/So Casino”

Harrah's Metropolis
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Metropolis
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed August 7, 2012

Decided to stay a night here the last day of a fishing trip and must say the hotel is very nice for the area. When we arrived at the Hotel entrance it took a few minutes before anyone showed up to valet the car (not a very good start). There was one person working the check-in, which I kind of understand as it was a slow Sunday afternoon. The lobby and common areas inside were up to date and everything looked clean. Once we got to the room it was on the large size for a King room and had great floor to ceiling windows. The bathroom is well appointed with a separate room for the toilet and a very large deep bathtub. Everything was very high quality. The bed was very comfortable and everything was very clean. The tv is the older tube type but was in a nice flush cabinet and still worked just fine.

We ate dinner at "The Range" in the casino and let’s just say it was just an average experience at best. The steaks were very dry and over cooked and took forever to get service to remedy the situation.

The casino is of the floating type. It seems that it is really showing its age throughout the gaming area. The staff is friendly but don’t expect to get drinks very quickly, or free.

The breakfast was much better then dinner and had an egg station, waffle maker as well as several fresh buffet items. For the price very good.

Room Tip: River view rooms are much nicer then the city view for scenery.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (2,202)

Reviewed August 5, 2012

We loved the room, very comfortable pillow top bed, refrigerator, flat screen TV, Desk, sofa and chair, soaking tub, coffee maker and plenty of room to relax and enjoy yourself. We had a wonderful breakfast the next morning at a very reasonable rate. However, I don’t understand why the Casino Buffets have to cost so much for dinner…$20…really? How can Golden Corral do it for $11 and Casino’s can’t…captive audience I guess. The slots are very…very tight, some of the tightest we have played on and we travel to a lot of Casino nationwide. I assume that it’s because they don’t have a lot of competition. We walked up onto the top desk and watched the sun go down over the Ohio River and it was really beautiful. Everyone that worked in the Casino, Restaurants and the Hotel were extremely nice and helpful. If they would loosen their Slots a little this place would be a great place to revisit.

Room Tip: Make sure you go outside and watch the sun go down over the Ohio River, very well worth it.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Karen L
Reviewed August 1, 2012

I was there with a tour for one night. Extremely helpful pleasant people in every part of the Hotel and Casino. The room was beautiful and very clean. It was like a minature suite, with a couch, easy chair, King bed, small table, Big screen Tv, Internet access. The bath had a deep tub with shower, a marble vanity, plenty of amenities.. Toiletries, special makeup mirror, hair dryer,coffee maker. Separate commode area with door to close. Plenty of Clean towels. The casino is across a enclosed bridge, which would be a long way for persons that have difficulty walking, since it is up hill going back, but I am sure there are elevaters etc somewhere to make it easier. It was fine for me. I had a issue with my slot card, which was settled fast and the manager was very polite.. Answered other questions too. I liked the casino, it was very dark inside..could have better lighting. There was not much smoke in their casino, very pleasant for non-smokers. I believe it was smoke-free most of the areas. Food was decent for supper.. I ate in the Buffet..not a lot of variety. The breakfast in the Rivercrest was amazing..fresh made omelettes where made on request. Also fresh fruits,juices,pastries, eggs, biscuits and gravy,cereals, and a waffle machine. It is all buffet. And again all the people in all areas went out of there way to accommodate your needs. I would definitely stay again.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed July 20, 2012

Would give 3 1/2 but no 1/2 option. The hotel has slipped since I was last there. It is getting in need of a make over. Lot of carpet stains in my room (612) water pressure was lacking. Old style t.v. On the postive, service and everyone real nice.

Room Tip: higher up...better view of the river
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank rbell-57
Reviewed July 18, 2012

I have read the reviews of other customers at Harrah's in Metropolis. These people told what nice rooms they had, etc. My only problem was that I did not get the room that I had reserved. I was sent to a different hotel down the road. I probably would have been happy with my room at Harrah's too, but that wasn't the room that I got. Harrah's has an agreement with these other hotels in Metropolis to take their overbooked customers. So they overbook all the time and they do not seem to see this as a problem. BIG PROBLEM FOR ME!!!!!

Room Tip: Didn't stay at Harrah's so I can't rate it. My room was given away.
Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Sharon W
Reviewed July 16, 2012

We have one kid and there was nothing to do, There was no pool. No fit center and no restraunts enccept for the breckfest bar that includes kids.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank cdretta
Reviewed June 21, 2012

We have stayed here twice now because we had comp rooms available from staying at other harrahs. The rooms are quiet and spacious with a huge tub (even had a pulldown shelf to put a book, laptop, etc. on while soaking in the tub!) and the riverside rooms have a lovely view. The casino is small but there's no smoking, so I don't come back to the room reeking of cigarettes. (they do have smoking rooms for those of you who do smoke though, with smoking areas in the casino). They have a little cafe plus a couple other restaurants on site as well. The chili chees fries at ace's diner are huge; be forewarned! But yummy :-). I was much more pleased with this location than the New Orleans location. We will continue to stay here. Weird security check at the casino entrance though LOL....they take your ID, take a picture of you, announce your birthday (day and year) to the other security guard, then stamp your forearm to allow you to come and go during your visit night with a UV stamp. Very amusing to me, considering all I had to do in NOLA was show my ID LOL.

Room Tip: Ask for riverside if available; that way you don't hear the occasional car alarm that may go off...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Sara N
Also consider these accommodations in or near Metropolis
Super 8 Metropolis
#5 of 6 in Metropolis
Comfort Inn Paducah
Comfort Inn Paducah
#15 of 28 in Paducah

Been to Harrah's Metropolis? Share your experiences!