“Not pretentious, just wonderful food and atmosphere.”
Review of Le Vichyssois - CLOSED

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Daytona Beach, Florida
“Not pretentious, just wonderful food and atmosphere.”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

One of the best restaurants in the Chicago suburbs. Enjoyed dinner with my husband and friend. My friend and I started by sharing the Mushroom Cigar (like an eggroll) - it was divine. Then a pear sorbet was served. For the entree, my husband and friend both had Veal Shanks and seemed to be drooling while they dug into the marrow. I had veal medallions which were outstanding. Dessert was 3 small samples, which was a very nice way to try a few delicious items. The owner selected our wine and it was wonderful. Service was superb.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Lady_Jane_PI

“Duck Yes!”
Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

The best duck I've ever had. Great skin, moist meat, phenomenal sauce. After the first time we went, we brought another couple the next week because it was so good. I have also tried the scallops, which were also fantastic. The place is a little dated inside, but I certainly do not care with food this good.

• Visited February 2013
Elgin, Illinois, United States
“Wear Elastic Waisted Pants!”
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Wear your oversized pants because your buttons won't make it out of the restaurant! Plan for two and a half wonderful hours of a fantastic dining experience. We were fortunate to get a window table that overlooked the lake at sunset which just added to our fantastic experience.

We shared starters but there is not one that I would recommend over the other (so get all four). The Gilette of Crab, Asparagus Flan, Mushroom Cigar and Escargot were so flavorful and made to perfection. we opted for hot Vichyssois because it was cold out - and what a fantastic choice. Each spoonful was better than the next and certainly rivaled any we had had before.

For my entree I choose duck - and it was probably the best duck I have ever had. From the crunchy skin (which, lets be honest, is probably the best part of any fowl) to the moist and totally greaseless meat, I savor end every bite. Coupled with awesome scalloped potatoes and some vegetable that was delicious but I never figured out what it was, I was in food heaven!

And you know, when you have been eating delicious food for hours you must absolutely end with dessert. Full of yummy goodness you choose three different desserts - again, one was better than the next.

Don't hesitate to drive for this fantastic dining experience - it is so very worth t. But remember - wear elastic because you will leave five pounds heavier than what you came :-)

• Visited April 2013
Crystal Lake, Illinois
“Fine Dining”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

There are not many fine dining places left in the area. This has white table cloths and is in an old house. Excellent food, very rich, save for special occasions. The dessert cart is to die for, you can choose 3 slivers of dessert on one plate, yum! Very good food, traditional dishes mainly are served. Save this one for a special occasion!

Lake Forest, IL
“When only the best will do!”
Reviewed December 19, 2012

I confess that we have been steady customers for a very long time. This establishment may have the best French food you will ever get! For us it is a nearly one hour trek to get to Le Vichyssois which is the only reason we don't eat there every week. The Salmon En Croute and the Shitake Mushroom soup are divine! This is a non pretentious place with top notch wait staff and direct involvement of the owners, Bernard and Priscilla Cretier. Bernard studied under the grand master chefs in Lyon, France>> Bucose and Verget. Not many chefs in the US can say this. For you as the diner, it doesn't get any better than this! I only wish they were closer to us.

• Visited November 2012