“Nice place but flavorless meats......”

Hickory Pit Bar-B-Que
Ranked #3 of 111 Restaurants in McHenry
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed November 10, 2013

Three of us headed here for lunch today and left satisfied but unimpressed...... The pulled pork had no intrinsic flavor - same as the pulled chicken. The sauces WERE very good - but cooking meat in the sauce and only adding it cold after cooking doesn't render the same effect...... The portion was generous, the cole slaw good, baked beans tasted like they were from Boston via UPS overland but the sweet potato fries were the clear winner.

Indifferent, humorless counter staff were noteworthy - obviously not happy to be there.....

Better than fast food chains, but could've been better.

2  Thank Chicagonative_7

Reviewed October 27, 2013

Maybe because it was a Sunday we were getting end of week remnants? I ordered a two meat platter, doing the brisket and pulled pork. That's a fairly standard order for me when trying a new BBQ joint -- pulled pork because it's a pretty safe bet and brisket because it is much harder to pull off a good brisket.

The brisket was subpar. Quite dry and without tons of flavor. The pulled pork was better but still not the greatest I've ever had. I also sampled a rib thanks to one of the other people at our table. Again, average and nothing that makes this place stand out. However, the sauces were wonderful and they had a good selection available right at the table. And the sides were fantastic. The mac and cheese was one of the best I've ever had!

The prices are good and the portions were decent. That almost allowed me to bump this to a 3/5 rating but I just couldn't do it because BBQ is all about the meat and they just weren't up to snuff in that area during this visit.

I'll certainly give this place another shot if I am in the area again.

Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

Always tasty and Always a good meal... I have never been disappointed with any of my choices....... I still need to try the chicken ..... Next time

Reviewed August 22, 2013

Good, smoked barbeque (preferably from a mom and pop place and not a "chain") is one of my favorite foods so I was very happy when the Hickory Pit opened in McHenry a little over a year ago. The HP opened in a former fast food type hamburger joint so I was pleasantly surprised on my first visit to see how nicely they had rennovated and decorated. Mind you, its not fancy in keeping with food that is eaten with your fingers (aka ribs) however its very clean and attractive. Food is ordered at the counter and brought to the table within 5-10 minutes of ordering. There are a variety of sauces available and can be added to your meat as it is prepared and/or added at the table. Big rolls of paper towel are available on every table to take care of dripping sauce and sticky fingers!

Now lets talk about the barbeque...smokey, tender and awesome!! I've tried the ribs, brisket, and sausage and all are excellent...also the brisket chili - yum! There are a number of sides that are offered with platters (2 sides with a platter) and they are also very good - my favorite being the fries and cole slaw and my husband's the mac and cheese and beans. I tried the pecan pie once (usually I'm just too full for dessert) and it is good though not the best I've ever tasted. There is cold bottled beer available as well as a soda dispenser for drinks. They do a nice job accomodating take out food too.

This has become a staple "go to" place for my husband and I and we often get "cravings" for the Hickory Pit. The one "negative" is that we sometimes get these cravings on Mondays when the HP is closed and at such times can't find anything else that sounds as satisfying.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

The best ribs I've had in the Midwest! What a great surprise, nice smokey flavor and a unique selection of sauces.m I've been smoking ribs for years and this is te first time I've found ribs that are better than home-smoked at a restaurant. I highly recommend this spot.