“Mediocre Pizza”
Review of Marzano's Woodfired Italian - CLOSED

Marzano's Woodfired Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: We are a family owned Italian restaurant that specializes in Neapolitan in addition to our steak, seafood and pasta dishes. Extensive wine list and homemade desserts rounds out the food offers. WE have three separate private rooms in addition to our dining room and lounge. Come enjoy a tour of Italy in our interpretation.
Detroit, Michigan
“Mediocre Pizza”
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Service was slow. Took several requests to get water. It was a Friday night, but not so busy that they should have been overwhelmed. The pizza (house specialty, I was told) was underwhelming----my biggest complaint: it was too oily. Very greasy, really. I was visiting from out of town and staying in an adjacent hotel. I would not go back.

• Visited March 2013

Reno, Nevada
“Good food and reasonable price”
Reviewed March 5, 2013

I make it to McHenry a few times a year for business. Normally McHenry seems a little on the sleepy side to me and I have enjoyed this restaurant for its lively bar and good food. Service is a little impersonal but you can always find somebody interesting to talk to if you eat at the bar (or bring an associate to chat with.) The price is fairly reasonable for a pretty good meal. The choices for wines by the glass are dismal but at least they're not priced in the stratosphere. All in all, I like the place and will go back.

• Visited March 2013
Chicago, Illinois
“Has Potential”
Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

We stopped in for dinner at 8 pm on a Friday night. The restaurant was not very busy. We were seated at a table on the bar side which was fine. Our waitress was pleasant but not attentive. Service and followup was dismal. We ordered drinks and i agree to some previous reviewers, wine by the glass is a bit pricey. We ordered a Caesar salad with dressing on the side and a spinach salad with salmon. We also ordered a few sides. The Caesar was ok and my spinach with salmon was awesome except it was served with no dressing at all. There were no visible staff to wave down to ask for dressing. We ordered the bananas tiramisu to take home which was unique and delicious. This is the second time we have been here and had about the same experience. Servers are cheerful but not attentive, no sign of any management on a Friday night to help, but the food was good and there is a big menu to choose from. Just an average restaurant with so much potential.

Woodstock, Illinois, United States
“Lovely for Valentine's Day”
Reviewed February 14, 2013

This was our 3rd or 4th visit to Marzano's, and we were not, for the most part, disappointed. The bread was wonderful, the Berrytini sweet, cold and effective. My Butternut Squash Ravioli plentiful, more than twice the ravioli's than any other Italian restaurant had ever served me. Altho I think a different sauce, rather than the extreme amount of butter, would be more appealing, but it's still one of my favorite dishes. My husband had the Chicken Parm, and everytimg we wonder at the amazing size of the chicken breast! We went on Valentine's Day for dinner, and since we eat quite early, it was not crowded yet at 4:30, but by the time we left at around 6, it was crowding up. Our server was Erica B. was very attentive, and we never felt forgotten. I would have given 5 stars, but the Ceasar Salad (extra $2) was limp and seemed to have been sitting out for a while, there were quite a few pieces of lettuce that were browning and unappealing - there were also a lot of romaine lettuce spines. Just once I'd like to get a salad that isn't more spine than leaves. We will be back, altho we live about 20 miles away so not often - mostly for special occasions.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank MaryAnn H
Crystal Lake
“Beautiful Entry, Good Atmosphere”
Reviewed December 2, 2012

The other night we were craving some good Italian food. We went to Marzano's and had a pleasant experience. We started with the Fried Calamari which was perfectly cooked and nicely presented. We also had the Fried Mozzarella sticks with Marinara Sauce. Delicious. Drinks were good, a well made Dirty Martini with stuffed blue cheese olives, the olives being firm and with perfect taste. The Merlot good. Spaghetti and meatballs were excellent, the fettuccine sauce a bit weak. The Baked Ziti wonderful, as well as the freshly baked bread. The Spaghetti Carbonara was a huge disappointment. There was a most definite lack the egg cheese finish. It was instead a watery sauce of some kind. There is a real art to this dish and many restaurants do not attempt it. I was surprised and delighted to see it on the menu. It was really not anything like it was supposed to be.

Dessert of the Banana Tiramisu was an excellent new taste. The chocolate cake with a milk chaser a disappointment. It was not really a piece of chocolate cake in the traditional sense. It was an undressed, unfrosted chocolate cupcake with a smidge of ice cream on the top. We had to ask for the milk as they forgot it.

Service was adequate, but the place was not busy, it was a Saturday night. I think that was very telling. It seems that some work needs to be done with the menu and also a bit of tweaking with staff. We did not have any pizza there, but saw many customers with that and they seemed to be enjoying themselves. We may have been there on an off night.

• Visited December 2012