“Gross”

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Fox Lake, Illinois
“Gross”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

This place is not good. My wife and I accidentally went here...we thought we were walking in to a different restaurant (long story) and we were extremely disappointed with our meals. You can get better Italian food from Domino's Pizza and I haven't ordered Domino's in at least five years. Besides being bad food the place smells gross and overall I wish we had followed our instinct and just left after smelling the place.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Steven R

Bartlett, Illinois
“Very Good Atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

Very good food and attentive wait staff. The food was very good as is the atmosphere. Reminds me of a little restaurant in New york I once visited. Sort of tucked back in a little shopping mall where some of the stores are empty. Plenty of parking!

Visited April 2013
1 Thank Bill H
Spring Grove, Illinois, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Skip Over "A Touch of Italy"”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013

A Touch of Italy is located in a strip mall with no sign. There were 6 tables seated, so about a third of the available tables were occupied . The crab cakes were made with artificial crab meat - so can a restaurant really call it crab cakes? The sauces are good, but it is the cheapness that goes with the dish that will disappoint you. The lasagna was small and bland. The salad was more iceberg lettuce then spring mix...they try to fancy it up. The meatball was decent, but not anything special. I have to say my $10 Galto was the most I ever paid for 2 servings which was the size of a single scoop of ice cream. The waitress just plain sucked. She was slower then slow, and never asked how my dishes were or did I ever get a drink refill. Forgot part of my meal. Bread was hot after being there 15 minutes waiting for anything to show up on the table to eat. My take out portion was even smaller then the same dish served. I know restaurant selection is slim out in the country, but there are other places better then A Touch of Italy.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank David T
Chicago, Illinois
“Extreme couponing?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2013

I initially liked this restaurant a lot and was going to give an excellent review until I consulted my boyfriend who accompanied me to this establishment, along with his restaurant.com coupon. Service was a bit slow, but then again we were warned of this via a large sign in the lobby stating that homemade food = long waits. After waiting for a table in the lobby for what seemed to be 10 minutes (looked like one employee was waitstaff, receptionist, and manager all rolled into one),we finally got a table. This (as one poster put it:) "Jersey Shore" lookalike whirled around like the Tasmanian devil from lobby to kitchen to dining room. Seen enough restaurant makeover shows on the food channel to realize you don't leave the reception area empty for more than a few minutes nor do you ignore the potential customer. Although we had a great meal, my BF was presented with a bill with no breakdown of food prices. Our coupon stated that an 18% tip was included, but 18% of what final cost? Maybe it's the nature of the beast in couponland not to itemize the final check, but how does one know if one is being overcharged? Couldn't really prove it, but believe we WERE overcharged. Also, my boyfriend had my leftover dish the next day and said the chicken piccante tasted better than his veal marsala. I thanked him and said but I ordered veal piccante (which he then remembered was true) and again we wondered if he was further overcharged. Hmmm, makes me want to change this rating to a poor. But can't since I thought my food was good, including the calamari appetizer and the crusty bread and a nice big martini. Also, restaurants are only as good as their chefs.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank toadsoup
Woodstock, Illinois
“Dinner was Excellent”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2013

We eat out a lot and have frequented Touch of Italy for many years. Now that they have moved to the new location I must say that dinner was excellent. The calamari was perfectly done, the linguini with white clam sauce was some of the best I've had and that dish is one of my favorites. My wife ordered the chicken parmesan and said the chicken was cooked perfectly.

The new recipe for the minestrone is worth the dinner. Overall we loved our dinner and the service was great.

• Visited March 2013