All reviewsfront deskgreat hotelbusiness tripthe breakfast areathe hotel staffroom was cleaneastern illinois universityother hotelsnice staystaff was very friendlyrestaurants and shoppingcookiesoatmealconvenient locationbed and pillowsking roomstayed one night
Reviewed March 17, 2009

I recently just stayed at the Hampton Inn in Mattoon, IL. During my stay I happened to miss place my wallet. I looked, what I thought was, everywhere in the hotel. I could not find it and then went and seeked help at the front desk. The lady at the front desk named Miranda was very throughtful and thankfully helped me locate my wallet . If it were not for her help my business trip would have been very long and my return home even less enjoyable! Thank you very much Miranda!!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed March 2, 2009

Only the WiFi connection wasn't good in rooms. Had to take Laptop down to main loby for a good connection. That was on the 2nd. Floor.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed January 27, 2009

I had stayed at this hotel a year ago and it was pretty average. However, they recently complete a huge makeover and it's pretty awesome. Nice furnature and carpets, new tile in the bath, plus new vanity and lighting. New LCD TV with mega channels!

Only down side was a weak internet connection.

Very close to restaurants and right off the highway. Would definately stay with them again!

Oh, and the desk clerk, I think her name was Ashley, was great!

Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed January 4, 2009

I wish our stay at this hotel was a nice as some of the other reviews on tripadvisor. We called and booked a non-smoking room on the 2nd floor and was told "no problem." The day of arrival we found out the entire second floor was closed due to a "really bad paint job" so they gave us a room on the first floor - that was ok with us.

We went to check in and as I got the front desk, the clerk left and said she would be right back and came back 10 minutes later, while I stood there the entire time - not a great welcoming. It got worse from there.

We entered our room and it was very dimly lit, there were clumps of mud on the carpet, the paint on the wall was the darkest brown (almost black) color I have ever seen, there was hair on the sheets of one of the beds and the room was very, very tiny.

The photo posted on the May 19, 2008 tripadvisor review looked similar to our room but the lighting was 90% dimmer than their photo and the wall was not painted a light color but deep, dark brown. Plus our room had 2 beds not 1. I mention this photo because not all rooms are that bright and cheerful.

But if you do notice in the photo how the build in desk is against the far wall and you have to go past that to get to the closet, that was a problem for us because the area was so small, the desk chair was up against the bed and you couldn't walk past it to get to the closet.

Also notice the annoying curtains, they roll up only. We tried to get more light in our room and you either had to roll the curtain all the way up with a wide open window (no privacy especially being on the first floor) or have it rolled down. The window also is a solid window pane - does not open at all. I mention this because of the musty smell in our room, we also wanted fresh air. We ended up having to turn the A/C fan on all night so we could breathe.

And the water was awful - it smelled like freshly water soil. So I went to my car and brought in bottled water to drink. I forgot about the bad water when I went to brush my teeth and used it only to wet my toothbrush and gaged as soon as I put my toothbrush in my mouth - the water tasted like it smells - like dirt, even that little tiny bit of water on my toothbrush - so I proceeded to used bottled water for brushing my teeth.

As I got into bed, which is a very high bed you have to practially climb into - the sheets felt exactly like sandpaper. The worse I have ever slept on. The mattress must haven been new because it was rock solid like cement.

In the morning, I couldn't wait to shower and leave. Well, the shower water also smelled like wet dirt and the shower head not only sprayed down but also sprayed up and over the shower curtain - soaking the floor. The toilet didn't flush right and took 5 additional minutes to fill - I know others on tripadvisor had plumbling problems here too.

In the morning, breakfast wasn't anything special but they did have a great selection of cereal and the most delicious tasting donuts I have ever eaten - ever! Totally awesome! Yum!

As we got to the desk to check out, the general manager Kent was there and the phone rang so we had to wait while he answered the phone. He said to the caller "This isn't the best day to do this girl" (so I thought he was perhaps talking to his teenage daughter at home with the tone he used) then he said "You're the second one to call in today. Alright - whatever". Then hung up. I realized he was talking to an employee who called in sick. It was so unprofessional the tone and words he used, I was offended.

As you can tell, this Hamtpon Inn did not even remotely live up to the standards I've seen at other Hampton Inns and I wouldn't choose to stay here again.

They do have an indoor pool but it was small and packed full of kids and adults having a family reuion there that we didn't get to use the pool.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank nowincolorado
Reviewed December 6, 2008

To be fair, I got the room as a "reward" for other Hilton stays. So I can't be too upset.

This is the 2nd year in a row we stayed here the night before Thanksgiving, as my wife has family in the area. Compared to last year's stay, the room's furnishings were MUCH nicer, and almost "Courtyard" like. That was a real plus. The bathroom area was nice, toiletries were a little fancy. That part was all good.

However, appearances aside, there are mainly 3 things I'm looking for when I book a hotel; a clean comfortable room, a nice cozy bed with good linens and decent back support (as opposed to springs sticking out), and, where promised, a good breakfast. I only really got 1 of the three here.

The bed, although laid out in nice linens, was a springy, squishy mess, with zero side support. While that sounds comfy, the comfort is lost when you get within 12 inches of the edge, and it starts to slope down on you! It made sleeping difficult for me. My wife, who hung to the middle of the bed, just loved it. It was disappointing, sort of, because we saw all of these other wonderful upgrades, and the linens made the bed seem luxurious, but it was clearly not updated when everything else was changed. I've noticed a lot of "mid-grade" hotels putting beautiful and cozy linens on average beds...that usually works. Here, the sides of the bed just caved, so I spent all night hoping I didn't fall off the side. That's not what I consider a good night's sleep. But I'm hopeful the beds are next on the list of changes.

Secondly, the breakfast was disappointing at best. Hampton has shifted to "hot' breakfasts, but the only hot item on ours was some cut up smoked sausage. I was hoping for biscuits and gravy or eggs or bacon or breakfast sausage. No such luck. Even a waffle machine would have been an upgrade. The breakfast staff was nice as could be, and they did put out "to-go" breakfasts in a bag. This is the 2nd time we've come here, and gotten the smoked sausage as the hot breakfast item. Other reviews seem to mention B&G here, but nothing like that. It could just be because it was Thanksgiving, and they do something different the other days. Oh well. The breakfast did include a decent selection of muffins, bagels, cereals, milk, juices, yogurt, etc... Basically, if you need to carbo-load before a marathon, this is the place, but don't bank on a hearty breakfast with protein.

All that having been said, it's still a pretty nice place. They have a little "work area" with a PC and printer, a clean pool area, and the decor seems somewhat luxurious. They even have cookies at checkin. The hallways are very nice, and each room has not only a number, but there's a "picture" of something different, so that even if you can't remember numbers, you know you're in the room with the "truck" or the "apple" or whatever. This is a novel idea..especially for kids and forgetful folks like me.

I'll stay here again, but I sure hope the beds get better (we can work around the breakfast). All in all, this is still probably the nicest place in town, and other than the bed & breakfast, it's a winner.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple