All reviewsfront deskgreat hotelthe breakfast areathe hotel staffroom was cleaneastern illinois universityother hotelsnice staystaff was very friendlyrestaurants and shoppingcookiesoatmealconvenient locationbed and pillowsking roomstayed one nightoff the highway
Reviewed August 24, 2013

I stayed here recently for a few nights on a business trip. My coworkers did not have similar issues. The room that I was given did not appear to be cleaned properly. The beds were made up as if they had been cleaned, but it was apparent that the sheets and comforter had actually not been changed from the previous person.

There was a long hair on top of the comforter. I pulled it down to sit in the sheets, there were two more hairs (like long hairs) in the sheets after I pulled them down. I then though, well let me use the other bed instead. I pulled the comforter down there and there were 3 hairs in those sheets including one that was between the fitted sheet and the comforter. All in all there were 8-9 hairs scattered between both beds and either on the comforter or in the sheets.

When I was heading out to dinner, I asked if I could get the sheets changed, but housekeeping had gone home for the night. I was offered another room (there was only 1 left). I changed rooms and the new one did not have the same problem. Unfortunately the new room shared a wall with the gym though and I was woken up at 545 by someone running on the treadmill (even though they aren't supposed to use the gym until 6am).

It was just disconcerting. The people working at the hotel were all friendly and the condition of the hotel was nice and it is always nice to have free coffee and breakfast in the morning. Hopefully the maid just didn't realize the people in the room were checking out and just pulled up the sheets.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Jdp107
GM-MTOIL, General Manager at Hampton Inn Mattoon, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2013

Thank you for your review of our hotel. Each review only helps us improve our customer service. I was happy to hear our staff was accommodating and tried their best to make your stay a pleasant one. I would like to apologize to you on the condition of your first room. Please be assured, the sheets were clean. During the drying process, static electricity can form and the hairs can stick to the sheets. Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention so we can resolve the problem and train our staff so other guests will not have the same experience. Thank you for staying with us and I hope you have the opportunity to stay again.

Reviewed August 20, 2013

We have stayed at this location several times (about twice a year) to visit family and friends in the local Mattoon area. We have watched this Hampton get better over the last few years with upgrades to the furnishings; improvements in the breakfast are and, of course, the staff is always very helpful and friendly all around.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton
GM-MTOIL, General Manager at Hampton Inn Mattoon, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2013

Thank you very much for your review of our hotel. I'm glad to hear our staff is consistently providing great service. I'm happy to hear you like the new improvements we've made to our property during the last year. We've received some great compliments, especially about our new lobby and breakfast area. Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to your next stay!

Reviewed August 14, 2013

Very nice, the rooms are always clean, the staff is always friendly and helpful. This is a good place to get a peaceful nights rest. There are plenty of places to eat close by and shopping is only a couple minutes away.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hampton
GM-MTOIL, General Manager at Hampton Inn Mattoon, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2013

Thank you for your review of our hotel. We appreciate any feedback we receive from our guests. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. I will be sure to pass your wonderful comments along to my staff. Thank you for choosing the Mattoon Hampton Inn. We are so happy to be your friend in town!

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Hotel smelled like mildew. Obviously refurbished. Chose some place else. Though less expensive than other Hamptons, truly isn't worth it. Always thought I could rely on the brand. Apparently not. Be choosy. Pays. Other hotels next door. Wish I would have stayed there. Staff was great though. That is consistent!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hampton
GM-MTOIL, General Manager at Hampton Inn Mattoon, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

I appreciate your candor on your feedback of your recent stay with us. I understand that during your stay, the freshness of our property was of concern to you and that there was an unpleasant mildew odor. Your feedback is truly appreciated for it is one of the most important tools that allow us to improve the quality of our products and services. All of your comments will be internally discussed with our management team for immediate action.

On behalf of the entire team, we thank you for your feedback and are truly sorry we did not succeed creating a memorable experience for you. Should you desire to further discuss your visit, please feel free to contact me. I would love the opportunity to earn your business and have you stay with us again.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

This is a great place to stop and stay the night when you are on the road. The rooms are clean, spacious, and cozy. The staff was very friendly and the breakfast was good with a nice verity of foods to eat. The beds are firm and very clean. The shower was clean and so where the towels. I am a value shopper and I look for the best hotel at the lowest price and the Hampton Inn in Mattoon Illinois is a good deal. I will stay here again next time I am on the road and passing through Illinois.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton
GM-MTOIL, General Manager at Hampton Inn Mattoon, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2013

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I am so glad to see you enjoyed your stay with us as much as you enjoyed have you here. I will be sure to pass your review on to our staff. It's always nice to see their hard is noticed. Thank you for staying at the Mattoon Hampton Inn. We are happy to be your friend in town!