“Disgusting”

Downtown Diner
Ranked #17 of 67 Restaurants in Mattoon
Cuisines: American
Reviewed December 21, 2013

Went to this restaurant a couple of weeks ago. Did the buffet for the first time. As I was eating mashed potatoes, I hit something big and rubbery with my fork. I pulled it out and it was something disgusting. Black and rubbery and about the size of a quarter only it ...was oval in shape. Told the waitress and she told me it was a gristle. I looked at her and I said "in my mashed potatoes?" She looked at it and said "I don't know then." I shoved my plate over to her and said "you can take this because I'm done." To which she replied, "I'll take it to the kitchen and see if they can tell me what it is." Well a couple of minutes later, she rushed by our table with a bus cart tub and said "I'm sorry about that ma'am." and off she went. Never to stop back by again. Made me wonder if she was afraid to tell me what the unidentified object was. GROSS! So, I go up to the cash register to pay and I told the lady there about my experience and she said "oh". Last time I will be dining there.

3  Thank idclaire

Reviewed October 5, 2013

We got here right after the lunch crowd. And we did have to wait for service but it was understandable. The place is a lot larger than it looks.

I ordered a chicken salad sandwich gourmet on a croissant . The chicken salad has nuts and grapes- the croissant was fresh. The chicken salad tasted good but could use a little more dressing, it was a little dry. I did not like the pickle chips at all and I order them every time I see them at a restaurant. Didn't like the coating and they seemed oil saturated.

My sweetie had the country fried steak with sausage gravy and it was very good. Would order that again.

We saw a lot of empty plates going back so If I am back in this area I would give it another shot.

Don't expect anything fancy, they do have an extensive menu but it is only a diner, and for us that's right up our alley.

There is a neat mural directly across the street.

Reviewed September 11, 2013 via mobile

I live out of state and took my mother for early dinner tonight. On previous visits breakfast and lunch were good.

We seated ourselves, then had to ask for specials that included Wed lunch specials of ham & beans and chicken & noodles....didn't want "sit in the pot all day" leftovers..
.heard "fried chicken with 2 sides" and visions of crispy fried chicken popped in my head, so l ordered all white meat with apple salad and green beans, Mom ordered dark meat, sweet potato fries and green beans. Waitress had hard time getting our side choices written down. A few minutes later she delivered 2 small serving dishes filled with soggy small marshmellows and walnuts, a few pieces of grapes, a couple of small pieces of apple swimming in a tart unpleasant almost sour dressing. We told her only l ordered it but she said she had dipped 2, so keep the extra. After 2 bites we both shoved it aside and l asked for cottage cheese instead and it arrived cold and ok.

Fried ckicken dinners arrived, sweet potato fries were hot, same for green beans that needed more seasoning and drained better. Chicken was HORRIBLE, wasn't yesterdays, had to be from Sunday and NUKED!! I couldn't eat the wing because it tasted so old and once l pulled the greasy skin off the breast, meat wsd warm enough to eat. Hated to send it back but should had. When paying our check; cashier asked if everything was ok in her "have to ask tone", l said no, chicken wad terrible and she shrugged.

Won't go there again.

2  Thank GrayMare42
Reviewed September 1, 2013

I have eaten here several times. I have tried most of the menu. IT all was some of the best cooked food I have ever had. You can tell that somebody has taken the time to perfect the recipes.

1  Thank john d
Reviewed August 5, 2013

We had a good, down-home and home-made breakfast here, and let me tell you, the quality is top-notch. This is one of the best diner meals I've had in a looooong time, and I've had plenty.

2  Thank geepat