“Very high quality food. Great value!”
Review of Downtown Diner

Downtown Diner
Ranked #18 of 66 Restaurants in Mattoon
Cuisines: American
Reviewed August 5, 2013

We had a good, down-home and home-made breakfast here, and let me tell you, the quality is top-notch. This is one of the best diner meals I've had in a looooong time, and I've had plenty.

2  Thank geepat

Reviewed July 27, 2013

Good home cooking and excellent friendly service with a smile from Tonya.

Nice change from the fast food chains you typically get when traveling on the road. Home made pies and other deserts look tasty.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

We went on a Friday night. The place reeked of fried fish. When I left, I felt like I had that smell on my clothes. The food was just "ok". Nothing great.

2  Thank idclaire
Reviewed June 24, 2013

This was our first visit to Mattoon and our first to the Diner. It was a nice, friendly, hometown kind of place. We had breakfast and the omelet was quite good. I could have used more sausage in the biscuits and gravy, but hey, I really like sausage gravy.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

We use to go about 2x a month. They are at 2 strikes with us and so they will get one more chance. Waited over 10mins at our last visit just for menus, took 45 mins after ordering to get our food (an omelet & biscuits & gravy with eggs), both meals with prepared wrong (husband got the wrong type of eggs & my omelet had the wrong fillings) but at this point we just ate it, manager walks around chatting with customers that are his friends completely obvious to the fact customers are getting frustrated with their wait. The last 2 times we were there people in our section that walked out after waiting sometime for someone to even acknowledge that they were there and sat down. Waitresses are unprofessional and have no problem telling you all of their troubles and how their day has "sucked" instead of just apologizing for our wait.

1  Thank kris4913