“Friendly waiters great food!”
Review of El Vaquero

El Vaquero
Ranked #3 of 66 Restaurants in Mattoon
Cuisines: Mexican
Mattoon, Illinois
“Friendly waiters great food!”
Reviewed August 8, 2014

We eat here several times a week. Always treat family and out of towners to a meal here. Great food. Even better service!

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank Gail N

Lebanon, Indiana
“Great Midwest Mexican food ”
Reviewed July 31, 2014 via mobile

I ate here on a current business trip to the area after reading the reviews on trip advisor. The reviews were spot on. The food was excellent and quick. I had fajitas and they were some of the best I have ever had in the Midwest. They also have a full bar. Great place to stop, you won't be disappointed!

1 Thank gastonglock22
MattoonMikki81, Owner at El Vaquero, responded to this review, August 2, 2014
Thank you for your review! I am happy you enjoyed El Vqauero! Come back soon.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Clearly very popular, nice Mexican, better than most!”
Reviewed July 11, 2014 via mobile

I travel a lot, and I happened to be here in Mattoon for a few days and decided to try El Vaquero. Chile relleno was very good, a part of the El Vaquero combo, which was excellent. The ground beef was a little dry but everything was fresh and tasty. It was much like a 100 other Mexican restaurants in the Midwest, but they definitely try harder and they are quite good. Service was slow, but they were extremely busy on this Thursday night, so I was fine with that. I'd recommend it. Salsa was a little bland, but a little Cholula hot sauce did the trick.

1 Thank gliddle1
Mattoon, Illinois
“Best Mexican in town.”
Reviewed May 29, 2014

We are regular visitors to this restaurant we live in town but I can tell you that this is hands-down the best Mexican restaurant in the town of Mattoon you won't be disappointed eating here.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank smokeyjsbbq
“Worth A Stop Off I-57”
Reviewed April 25, 2014 via mobile

As a recent vegan I am constantly in search of a really tasty veggie fajita. Tonight....I found it! The server was prompt and the kitchen delivered the perfect "spicy" veggie fajita's. Not just loaded with jalapeño but a great mix if veggies and just the tight amount of heat. I now have a permanent stop off on my travels down I-57.

The margarita was not just a lot of mix and their "spicy" salsa is worth the ask.

Enjoy!!

1 Thank PHKOD

Been to El Vaquero? Share your experiences!