“Best Mexican Restaurant in Coles County”

Don Sol Mexican Grill
Ranked #1 of 66 Restaurants in Mattoon
Cuisines: Mexican
Description: We have a great friendly atmosphere. Wonderful mexican cuisine. We have wonderful food made fresh daily.
Reviewed June 8, 2014

I like Mexican food and I like it screaming hot. The Salsa Picosa is delicious and although I could (and have) eaten spicier foods, it's the best I've found in the area. The waiters remember you, are always courteous and attentive and whoever cooks (I need to find out!) adds extra chiles to order. I don't eat red meat and appreciate that they have a wide variety of chicken, seafood and vegetarian dishes. Also, Don Sol is healthy-lifestyle friendly in that the Huevos Rancheros, Huevos a la Mexicana and Egg Burrito, among other selections, are good for you. The guacamole tastes like the stuff I make at home. Also, I like that they don't serve your food drenched in melted cheese like a lot of places. When you're eating Mexican and your eyes water, you know it's good but don't let that scare you, they add the hot chiles on request so if you're not up for it you're cool. I ride my bike all the way from Charleston to eat here and having lived in Chicago for twelve years, I consider myself a pretty good judge of restaurant fare. YUM!

There are newer reviews for Don Sol Mexican Grill

Reviewed May 30, 2014 via mobile

I have eaten here several times over the years while visiting family in the area and again a couple of nights ago. This place is always pretty busy because the food is pretty good. I had Fajitas this last visit and while it was served a bit differently than normal (not sizzling on a hot skillet) it was still tasty. The Margaritas were pretty good, too. Decent food and good service.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

Food is always very good. Staff is always making sure drinks are full which is how I judge the wait staff at any place.

Reviewed February 24, 2014

We came with a large gathering who were town for business. The servers quickly accommodated our larger group and were attentive all evening. Food was good, maybe not great. Portions were larger than I expected. Little tough to get water and keep them full than I typically would like.

Reviewed February 13, 2014

This place isn't my favorite. The only good thing it has going for it is the large booths to sit in and a few nice decorations. Food is better elsewhere for the price!

Been to Don Sol Mexican Grill? Share your experiences!