“Please beware!”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Mattoon
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Mattoon
Reviewed April 29, 2012

My baseball team had a tournament in Mattoon and we chose this hotel because of our past history with Holiday inn express hotels. This hotel is fairly clean with a very small pool so if you have a large group beware of this. Due to weather we were not able to play all of our schedule games and did not need to stay the second night. At 2:15pm I made the front staff aware of this and advised them I would like to check out. I fully expected to pay a late check out fee of some sort. I was advised that I would still have to pay the full $92 room rate. I informed the staff member of the policy made avalible on the web site that says cancellations must be made by 6pm. She said " I don't know what the web site says I just know what my manager says to tell people." After requesting to see this policy in writing I was told it could not be provided. After a call to the manager I was given the "great" check out rate of $59. Way to work with the customer! My family and I travel alot to majior cities and this small town hotel staff is by far the worst I've ever been treated by a hotel. Our group has two travel baseball teams blocking about 25 rooms and we will never use this hotel again. In about 3 weeks we have another tourny and will be staying in Effingham.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank 833travelguy
Stephanie P, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Mattoon, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2012

Dear Valued Guest. We believe every guest deserves the same extraordinary experience! We strive for excellence and I am disappointed to learn that you had a less than an exceptional experience during your stay with us.

A cancellation policy applies to your stay before arrival. Your cancellation policy stated "Canceling your reservation before 6:00 PM (local hotel time) on Friday, 27 April, 2012 will result in no charge. Canceling your reservation after 6:00 PM (local hotel time) on 27 April, 2012, or failing to show, will result in a charge of 1 night per room to your credit card. Taxes may apply. Failing to call or show before check-out time after the first night of a reservation will result in cancellation of the remainder of your reservation."

Checkout as stated on the website is at 12:00 pm on the day of checkout. During these busy weekends it is crucial that we adhere to this policy due to the fact that we have turned away business because the baseball teams had the rooms reserved. If we allowed one guest on the team to checkout late due to game cancellations or losses, we would have a majority of the team wanting that same checkout and we would have many rooms available and guests that were turned away because of no availability.

Our policy also states that Check In is at 3:00pm. We cannot have rooms available to guests who are checking in by 3:00 pm, if we allow several checkouts after 12:00 pm.

Our hotel is rated Excellent for Guest Satisfaction and Cleanliness. We work very hard to maintain this status and are very disappointed when a guest leaves not being satisfied. We do regret the fact that you were not informed at the time the request was made that as long as the housekeeping staff is still on property, you could pay the day rate of $59.00 and checkout late. Again, we are very sorry we failed to meet your expectations.

Darci Golden

Reviewed April 22, 2012

Nice hotel, very clean, good breakfast, nice friendly staff. Best hotel in that area!

1  Thank jan v
Stephanie P, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Mattoon, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback about our hotel. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed April 13, 2012

I booked a king bed room in this hotel for a 2 night business trip but wound up in a double without anywhere to sit except at the desk. The second day, they moved me to a handicap king. Their explanation was that they do not honor reservations for room types - just for a room - and a snow had caused too many holdovers. After I left, I discovered that they charged me the higher rate for the king room both nights. I've been upgraded for the same rate before but never downgraded for the same rate. They did give me 4,000 points after I complained to Priority Club so I consider it a wash financially but I'll be staying at a different chain the next time I'm in Mattoon. Aside from one person from housekeeping encountered in the hallway I didn't see any staff smiling and seldom saw anyone at the desk. Otherwise, the hotel was clean and comfortable.

Room Tip: Arrive early in the day in the hope of getting the room type you reserved
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
Stephanie P, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Mattoon, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2012

We appreciate your feedback regarding your stay at our hotel. We are very sorry that your stay did not meet your expectations. Our policy does guarantee a room, but not necessarily a room type. We make every attempt to accomodate the room type which the guest requests in their reservation. As you stated, during your stay the weather had caused several guests to have to extend their stay, thus not having your room type available. The room you were assigned is not a less desirable room, just different bed types and furniture to accommodate that bed types. We did attempt to correct this situation by moving you to room with a king bed and easy chair on the next evening. This room was a suite due to the fact that it was the only room that we had come available for the second evening. It was an oversight on our part of not changing your rate on the first night from the $97 to $92, and I do apologize for that inconvenience. Since this was not brought to our attention until after the fact, I felt being a priority club member, the 4000 priority club points were of more value to you than the difference in the room rate.
This is a very rare occurence at our hotel, for a guest to not be given the room type requested and as you mentioned, many times our priority club guests are upgraded into a more expensive room. Unfortunately, we cannot go back and make this situation right, but we can learn from it and be better if this situation arrives in the future.
We are sorry that you feel you won't return to our hotel and would like to have the opportunity to show you the high level of service that is normally provide at this hotel.

Darci Golden

Reviewed April 13, 2012

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Mattoon Il again. The staff seemed even more friendly this time than last year. the cleaning staff was actually on hands and knees cleaning baseboards and edges in halls and elevator tracks. WOW. Breakfast was good and beds are always comfy.
Plenty of parking with pulling the boat.

Room Tip: Morning sun comes up on front side of building but both sides are quite as they both face fields.
1  Thank dabruggeman

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for your feedback. Here at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites Mattoon we take a lot of pride in the cleanliness of our hotel. Our staff goes above and beyond to assure or guest are taken care. We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed April 6, 2012

Easy to find, nice place, great staff and a good nights sleep. Place seems to be just two or three years old.

Plenty of safe parking for all the visitors.

In the morning the breakfast is great. Off we went to the nearby interstate.

I would stay here again without question.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Old54
Sara G, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Mattoon, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel. We strive to make every stay a great experience for our guests and are glad you enjoyed your stay!

We look forward to having you as our guest in the future.

Reviewed April 5, 2012

We stayed here for one night. Staff was friendly and helpful. The room was clean and up dated. No exhaust fani in the bathroom. No refrig or microwave which seems to be standard in most places. The breakfast was good.
Easy on and off of I-57. We walked to Cracker Barrel for dinner very close.

1  Thank onthego1937

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your kind words about our staff and the cleanliness of our hotel. I would like to inform you that we do have refrigerators and microwaves in most of our rooms and hope to get them in the remaining rooms soon. We are disappointed you were not able to rate us as excellet but we do appreciate the feedback.

Reviewed April 2, 2012

Our stay was short and sweet, but ver comfortable. Nice rooms and pool area. Front desk staff was pleasant, and morning breakfast crew was helpful.

Stayed: March 2012
2  Thank msbien
Stephanie P, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Mattoon, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

I am so glad your stay was comfortable. I want to thank you for taking the time to share your impressions with us. We look forward to accomodating you in the future when your travels bring you back to Mattoon.

Stephanie Packer

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mattoon
Hampton Inn Mattoon
#7 of 9 in Mattoon
Unique Suites Hotel
Unique Suites Hotel
#2 of 2 in Charleston

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Mattoon? Share your experiences!