“A blast from the past.”

Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Matteson
Peoria, Illinois
“A blast from the past.”
Reviewed January 20, 2014

As a baby boomer I come from a time when the Holiday in was the premier place to stay. So its sometimes hard to judge a hotel if I critique it from my memories. This Holiday Inn seemed like others I've stayed at recently. It has that 1980s or 1990s feeling with moderate wear and aging in appearance. The draperies up stairs in the hallway were bunched up several inches and looked sloppy. Thats just an example of what seems like a so so attitude towards detail and neatness. The room was clean and comfortable and worn. Elevators were once above average in style and classy but are now worn and rickety. Hotel layout is nice and the front desk was helpful if not a bit slow with service. No free breakfast here but thats almost typical for a three star. Although it was quiet enough where I was the lobby area seemed noisy. Although I felt safe here I didn't like the actions and looks of some of the other guests. Call me old fashioned but where has the neatness and politeness gone with folks? Smiles are free to and can be shared. Respect, kindness and concern for others helps make the hotels and the guests we bump into so much more of a pleasant and classy hotel experience.

Room Tip: A good idea to stay away from the lobby area as far as possible. Also away from elevators is often h...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank darrylwk
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago Matteson Conference Center, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Dear darrylwk,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent visit at our hotel and for providing us with your valuable feedback. I am sorry we were not able to exceed or at least be at par with your expectation. I want to assure you that your comments about the room conditions as well as the draperies have been documented and we are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction. Your feedback is very important to us as this continually helps us improve the facilities and guest services we offer to our guests.

Once again, thank you for staying with us and we all hope to have an opportunity to serve you again on your next future visit.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed January 1, 2014

Friday is NOT the night to choose to stay here if you expect quiet in the lobby - HORRIBLE noise coming from Bar Louie - where one beer will cost you about $14-$15 (including tip) after about a 10 minute wait for the bartender to even notice you. Then you get to drink from plastic cups, because they don't trust you to take the drink back to your room in a real glass. The hotel says pets are OK, so we paid the extra fee to bring our dog and we had no problems at check-in. But in the morning Patricia (front desk) made it feel as if we were bringing the black plague in to HER hotel. There are no signs posted and no mention of which (only) door is allowed for use by guests with pets. In my opinion, Patricia should reconsider her career options, as obviously the hospitality industry is not her forte. Perhaps the manager could invest in sending her to charm school. Other staff were very courteous, efficient, and a pleasure to deal with. The hotel was clean and modern. Bed and pillows were not to my liking (too firm) but otherwise the room was perfect and the price was right. OH - by the way, I have GOLD status with this chain and over 1500 total hotel nights in the past 10 years. If this is what preferred clients can expect, I can't imagine the treatment NON-preferred guests would receive.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank FrequentT1
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago Matteson Conference Center, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Dear FrequentT1,

Thank you for being an IHG Rewards Club Gold member and for leaving us a feedback. It is nice to hear that you have noticed the cleanliness of our rooms. However, I would like to apologize for the overall dissatisfaction you had experienced. Rest assured that the issues you have raised about the service you have received and the noise created by other guests have been documented and will be forwarded to the appropriate departments for necessary actions. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare
Reviewed December 5, 2013 via mobile

I booked online and saved $5 on my reservation. Once I arrived, I realized the savings was because I was given a base model room that had a hand held shower in it. Haven't seen one of those in ages.. The bathroom was also smaller. Lastly, the room had a microwave and fridge in it, however, neither was plugged in and the cords were behind a large cabinet prohibiting me from using either. Trust me, saving $5 was not worth it!!

• Stayed November 2013
Burlington, Iowa
Reviewed October 31, 2013

This 200 room conference center hotel is pivotally located at the I-57 & IL Route 30 interchange immediately South of Joliet. While you don't want to drive further East on Route 30, because the neighborhood is quite questionable, the Hotel sports one of the largest single level parking areas I've seen great for the largest of vehicles.
With LOTS of varying types of restaurants and fast food and shopping you'll have plenty to do in your ”down" time. With updated exercise equipment and pool indoors and rooms with large flat screen T.V.'s and a Hotel restaurant/bar with some 60 flat screens entertainment is plentiful. Breakfast in the hotel restaurant was leisurely with pleasant staff and an omelette I still savor. Rooms are not the Ritz but clean, updated with quiet heating/ac unit and comfortable bed with plenty of pillows. Only drawbacks were more annoying than major faults. Don't even consider asking for an early check in if you happen to arrive early! Shower handle put out more water than the shower head and the fire exit information needs better signage given the interior stairwells not connected directly to outside exits. It took five attempt/trips to get electronic keys that worked and then one card stopped working by morning. A special request to enable hooking a computer to the T.V. to access our Red box through their free Wi-Fi met with IMMEDIATE dispatch of a maintence man who was very helpful. An extra plus...I enjoyed the Jonathan apples growing on a tree overhanging the parking lot!!!!

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Ronald P
Reviewed October 1, 2013

Excellent front desk personal! Felcia and Patricia were very helpful and polite. It was my first of many future stays here. The only setback is a room with microwave is extra, but this is minor and won't deter me from staying here or recomending this hotel. Excellent truck parking, on paved lot. Easy in and out.

• Stayed September 2013
Hazel Crest, Illinois
Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the hotel 2 nights - 8/24 & 25. Check in was a little slow but that was okay since I was the only one in line. Got a room on the first floor near vending and ice machines. Room was nice and clean and so was bathroom. The only thing is they still have the old fashion air conditioning units which was blowing my curtain open. Overall, I was completely satisfied with my stay

• Stayed August 2013
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stayed in the hotel for a wedding so we were there for a couple of days. I wished there was a spa, but I'm sure we could've found something in the area. We've been staying in this hotel for years when we come to visit. Prior to the renovation the hotel had really gone down, so I'm pretty impressed with the transition. Very trendy hotel. It's family friendly, so there were lots of children there, but I was okay with that. Didn't hear a lot of noise or anything, even with the club downstairs and we were on the first level. I really enjoyed our stay here, everythign about the place was convenient. It was clean and Bar Louie downstairs was really nice to hang out and listen to music.

Room Tip: Shower didn't drain, but we didn't complain then so I'm not really complaining now ;-).
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Matteson
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Matteson
Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago Southland-Matteson
La Quinta Inn Chicago Matteson
Wingate by Wyndham Tinley Park
Holiday Inn Chicago-Tinley Park-Convention Center
Best Western Plus Chicago Southland

Been to Holiday Inn Chicago Matteson Conference Center? Share your experiences!