“This place has declined”
Review of J N Michael's Restaurant - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
J N Michael's Restaurant
Reviewed October 15, 2013

What a shame when I remember how good this place used to be. Obviously there has been a change in ownership in last 6 or 7 years. I only eat here maybe 3 times per year, when it used to be at least once per week. I only order their fried catfish or grilled calf liver. All other entrees are terrible. Soups are nothing but water. Ordered clam chowder on last visit. Got a bowl of warm water!!!. The waitresses must have been recruited off the street. The one we had continually coughed into her hands. None of them seemed skilled at being a good waitress. We recognized non of them from last time we were there. What a shame---non of this was happening there 5 or 6 years ago. At least there is no wait for a table or booth now.

Reviewed March 5, 2013

We went to J.N. Michaels’s to have dinner with my half-sisters. They live about forty miles from us, so we took a chance on this restaurant. It ended up being a good meal. The waitress was very forthcoming in her appraisals of the menu offerings, and probably saved me from making a bad choice. My wife and I had the Prime Rib special. We both requested end cuts, as we enjoy the extra flavor. The cook had actually warmed our portions on the griddle, which was evident by the sear marks. I don’t quite know why, because that over cooked the meat and made it a little tough. That said, the rest of the food was just fine. The rolls looked homemade and tempting, but I abstained as bread is temporarily off my menu. The girls had the London Broil, which appeared good too. Since it was their birthday that weekend, the waitress got them each a slice of cake on the house. The value was good, and the portions were generous. I would return when we’re in that neighborhood again.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

I went there with my husband to have dinner after a concert "the Temptations REview" and the wait was a little long, maybe 20 mins. but it was worth it. We got a nice table, very good service and very good food. I then went back for lunch w/ my friend, only waited 5 mins. and good food, little pricey, but good.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

Typical Greek restaurant. The menu is very long. You can order what you want when you want it. It gets very crowded on the weekends for breakfast (which is very good) and they cram you in like cattle. Portions are not large, but adequite. Service is ok, unless crowded and then good luck. Prices are ok, but thier are other restuarants around with better cost and service.

Reviewed October 10, 2012

I've been there with a couple of friends, and we stopped there when traveling from Chicago to Urbana. The place is ok, and the waitress was nice to us. However, the quality of the food is to me quite low (I took an open-faced sandwich with a beef steak, and the meat doesn't sound like the best quality). The other guys ordered some turkey and an hamburger, and we all had the same impression. I wouldn't go back there, I guess there might be better options around.